BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

03-07-2024, 08:25 PM   #1
rated_m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Timing chain cover leak d/t snapped bolt.

Hi guys so, while I was doing my valve cover job on my e92 m3 everything was going fine until I snapped one of the hex bolts that holds the timing chain cover. I figured it was okay because there are 3 other bolts holding it together. Today, as I test drive it for only 20 minutes I noticed there is a lot of oil leaking out from the timing chain cover. I got some new bolts today from the dealer and will attempt to change out the bolt and the other ones just in case. My question is can I reuse all the gaskets? Can I also partially lift the valve cover just to barely be able to take out the timing chain cover and replace the bolt? I’m trying to avoid taking off the entire valve cover again. Anyways, if I had to take off the entire valve cover do I have to re clean everything again? This is a huge PITA. I really hope I can get that broken bolt out easily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:52 PM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
You snapped a bolt on this install? I think you’ve lost your DIY privileges…

Take it all down and do it again with a new timing cover gasket.

Invest in a quality torque wrench.
      03-07-2024, 09:07 PM   #3
rated_m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
You snapped a bolt on this install? I think you’ve lost your DIY privileges…

Take it all down and do it again with a new timing cover gasket.

Invest in a quality torque wrench.
Well to be fair the torque wrench I was using wasn’t really working properly even though I had it set on 6nm. I hand tightened everything else snugly and the other side as well. No issues or leaks anywhere except here. Are you sure I would need a new gasket? I mean it looks exactly the same as the old one that came out lol. The only difference is the blue sealant that squeezes out the top when you tighten it, but I could just use some light dreibond there instead this time around.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:31 PM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rated_m3 View Post
Well to be fair the torque wrench I was using wasn’t really working properly even though I had it set on 6nm. I hand tightened everything else snugly and the other side as well. No issues or leaks anywhere except here. Are you sure I would need a new gasket? I mean it looks exactly the same as the old one that came out lol. The only difference is the blue sealant that squeezes out the top when you tighten it, but I could just use some light dreibond there instead this time around.
I don’t know - But it’s inexpensive and I’d rather do it right. But up to you!

Was joking about the broken bolt.
      03-07-2024, 11:36 PM   #5
rated_m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I don’t know - But it’s inexpensive and I’d rather do it right. But up to you!

Was joking about the broken bolt.
I know, but I need to get this done ASAP so, I can’t wait for it be shipped to my house. It’s cool man, I get it. I somewhat feel like I should have just taken it to the mechanic, but I think this is the whole process of diy stuff anyways.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      03-07-2024, 11:47 PM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rated_m3 View Post
I know, but I need to get this done ASAP so, I can’t wait for it be shipped to my house. It’s cool man, I get it. I somewhat feel like I should have just taken it to the mechanic, but I think this is the whole process of diy stuff anyways.
Yup. My cardinal rule working on the car is the moment I get frustrated or recognize impatience I’m done for the day. Too many parts are aluminum and susceptible to this, or cross threading, or simply falling into the engine bay abyss.

I wouldn’t say you did anything wrong, I’d just take it as an opportunity to fully correct the mistake. Either way Good luck!
      03-08-2024, 05:56 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

If your gasket is new-ish you should be able to re-use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 05:53 AM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hi Rated,

I took of the driver side timing cover last August to double check my new alu vanos cover. Installed with a new metal gasket without touching the valve cover (no losening at al). No oil leeks so far so yes seems fine.

As not a massive job you may try the old gasket. If the car can stand still for a bit I'd order a new though to be on the safe side. I bought driebond but ended up not using it. The new gasket blue sealant did the job.

Ps. Timing cover bolts are 10nm (while valve cover 6nm).

Ps. Ps. Check my post from end August here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...038382&page=10

Last edited by Helmsman; 03-10-2024 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0