BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

08-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #45
djben
noob.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMGII, 911 Turbo (997)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
No idea what I am talking about? Believe me, I have plenty of idea what I am talking about...not just did I live there for many years and attend school there (elementary to highschool; graduated from Sunset Senior High) but I still have family living there and several friends.

There is a guy on the GTR forum that just had his wheels stolen from the front of his home...in an affluent neighborhood. My dad had his Vet stolen from our house near Country Walk and I was almost car jacked last time I was there...luckily I was packing and was able to diffuse the situation.

The school system is terrible and geared towards mentally challenged people...I remember being a B student in high school without even trying and working almost 40 hours a week....when I got to college, I realized that what I learned was way below what I should of been learning all along.....essentially learned everything from scratch; Math was especially difficult since I was in a Computer Science program.

When I was 15, I almost got shot twice..TWICE..at the Falls (different occasions), for no reason that I was aware of. Mind you...my family wasn't rich but we were middle class and lived in a nice neighborhood.

Out of a class of 1200 seniors, only 625 received highschool diplomas...most of the guys I have found over the years and that are still living there are either not doing very well or mixed up in some serious stuff. The ones who succeeded moved out of Miami soon after graduating.

In my opinion, it has only gotten worse. All the "ballers" who had their real-estate license and were making money hand-over-fist years ago are dead in the water, home prices have crashed since the level of foreclosures is through the roof (that's what happens when you buy a $500k house and sell ice cream for a living), unemployment is super high and professional jobs don't pay a respectable salary....try to find a legit $100k+ job in Miami and then get back to me.

Although drug dealing is down some, the criminals have all moved to other forms of crime and dishonest business.

Of course, these are all negative aspects. The beach is great, parties are great, women are beautiful...I can get all this on a vacation without having to deal with the real Miami.

Actually, I lived in Charleston, SC for a while and found many of the positive aspects of Miami without any of the drawbacks.

I can pull stats for you if you want to show you where my "misinformation" came from.

*Edit*

Actually, here is a quick crime stat for 2006..compare national average to Miami. Also, keep in mind cost of living, average salary, inflation, etc...

http://miamifl.areaconnect.com/crime...exandria&s2=VA

Another Link that shows education levels slightly higher but gives a better overall picture:

http://www.clrsearch.com/RSS/Demogra.../miami/Summary

-SZ
I think the crime thing depends on where you are in Miami.

I moved from the Tampa / Pinellas county area and there were plenty of rough spots. Hell, we had riots there a while back -- the only other US city to have major riots other than L.A. in my life time. Guns/gangs/violence were a problem in the public schools I went to. I bet the areas m3jlp mentioned under "Hialeah" (Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Overtown, etc) probably account for most of the high crime rate in Miami...

About 100K+ jobs -- most people my age I know here are lawyers and doctors who are north of that range along with people in IT (my field). I don't know anyone in real estate.
E46 M3 SMGII : No Sunroof : GC Coils : GC FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : H&R Sways : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : BW Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : 4.10 gears : 301 WHP (Epic): Recaro Sportster CS
911 Turbo 6MT : Locking Rear Diff: GMG Springs/Sways: RSS Engine Mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #46
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by djben View Post

I moved from the Tampa / Pinellas county area and there were plenty of rough spots. Hell, we had riots there a while back -- the only other US city to have major riots other than L.A. in my life time. Guns/gangs/violence were a problem in the public schools I went to. I bet the areas m3jlp mentioned under "Hialeah" (Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Overtown, etc) probably account for most of the high crime rate in Miami...

About 100K+ jobs -- most people my age I know here are lawyers and doctors who are north of that range along with people in IT (my field). I don't know anyone in real estate.
Its the same in all major US cities, there are places you want to be, and others you want to avoid.
Im moving to ATL soon, its a rough city too if you are in the wrong places, especially at night.
I never had any issues in Coral Gables, its a very good area.
      08-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #47
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Why not Broward Country like Pembroke Pines or Miramar

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #48
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Pembroke Pines, seems like a nice place. Just gotta check on the housing market if its in my price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #49
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:

In retrospect to my earlier post, I must say that I hold a lot of animosity for Miami and maybe my perception as an adult, is somewhat warped. Maybe Miami has changed and my experiences of the past are no longer valid.

If I could make as a salary what I make in Northern, VA, I may consider moving as Miami is a beautiful city ( i love the beach) and good real-estate deals are plenty; I also have family and friends there. However, I haven't found any Engineering or Engineering Project Management positions that pay enough in Miami (i.e., $125k-$135k). I assume it is because there may not be a strong industry for the line of work that I am in.....but I'm just speculating.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #50
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Anyone have luck on purchasing a house or townhouse lately? Has anyone been able to successfully appeal the taxes on properties that have forclosed or bought on short sale??? Still looking for a place but the yearly taxes are a Biooootch there.....Miami here I come should be there early October!! Can't wait peoples!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #51
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F82 M4

a coworker just closed on a short sale but it was a bitch...goodluck
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #52
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Aiiiiiiiiighhhttttt, I just placed my first bid ever on a house!!!!!!!!!!!!! Already getting excited to come to Miami.....see ya'll in October!! Its a DAMN short sale so I'm hoping money can really buy happiness!! J/K.......go gators????
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #53
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:

Thanks for the input. The other day I was reading about all the wheel companies in Miami ripping people off and it made me think about this thread...LOL.

I can see lawyers and doctors doing well in Miami with all the criminals to defend and plastic surgery to be done (or old folks that need treatment).

I'm a Principal Engineer/project manager in it IT but I've never really looked at salaries in that area; however, I don't see the industry being as stable as it is in DC/Northern Va.

However, I do have several buddies in my field that moved from Miami to DC/northern Va for many of the reasons that I had stated on my earlier posts.

I may just take advantage of the real-estate market and try to get into some property on or near the beach. That way I can vacation, enjoy the "good" Miami, and then return to Northern, Va.

The places that you mentioned above...Hialeah, Liberty City, Carol City, etc... have always been bad. I was almost car-jacked near liberty city once; purchasing a firearm in Miami is a sound investment IMO...LOL.

My grandmother still lives in Hialeah; she moved there when she came from Cuba in the early 60s.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #54
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Well only two more weeks til I'm there, can't wait. Can anyone refer me to a bodyshop, one that has installed the Eclipse Diffusor...Looking to get it installed once my M3 arrives on the East Coast.....Please forward the name and number of a shop. Thank you all!!

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #55
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Miami's a nice place, you just gotta know what area your in.

You end up deciding on an area?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #56
HiProfile Robs
CF JNKY
Rep
Drives: Z06

Looking forward to a new local!
      10-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #57
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Whats up people!!! I finally made it to Miami....I Must say for the first day on I826 I had to help some people on the freeway as they piled up on an accident I was the fourth car.....I had plenty of time to brake and safely get over to the far left lane!! Damn it was close....all this in the first day in Miami.

Well I'm here and can't wait to get to know some new folks and of course BMW heads....I only have my 325i sedan with me as I am waitng for the M3 to arrive again in Charleston and then hopefully I get to bring her out to some meets as well. I'm curious to know if there is anyone getting together anytime soon. I would like to get around and meet some folks and see what Miami has to offer!! Look forward to meeting you guys. Thanks.......Scheer SPeed I'll be contacting you soon.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0