BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

08-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
i am going to recommend this again to you...waterless wash
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #24
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

I did a correction paint detail about 3 months ago. I wash my car at least twice a week and takes me about 30 min. Pressure clean to take all the top dirt. Then wash and wax from a car detail company. Wash the wheels with a brush. Dry it and good to go for another week or less. Once every month or so I seal it and wax it (1hr with DA). That's it. I enjoy it a lot!!!! The pressure cleaner helps a lot and makes it fast. Also the wash n wax that I have is really good. Easy on, easy off, no marks if it dries.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #25
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

If you park outside for work and outside at home, your car will ALWAYS be dirty. I gave up on keeping my car clean a month after I got it (the exterior anyway). My M3 is my daily driver, and I park it outside at home and in a roofless parking lot at work. So 1 day after a wash, it's relatively dirty...

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
D_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08_Interlagos_Blue_E92

Bimmer-M3,

I use "original bike spirits cleaner & polish" after I dry the car. Using a clean soft cloth (preferably a high-quality microfiber polishing cloth), Spray on, buff and polish. My car stays clean for at least a week. I wash once a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #27
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
Depending on what color the car is? You can get away with skipping a few days after a week.

But seeing you complain about washing your M3 is a little odd to me?! Your getting tired of feeling up on them curves, and watching the water roll off to the ground!
Are you falling out of love of something? There are people that dream of having a M3.
You need consoling or a new mod to keep you wanting her to look her best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
What color is your car? I'm alpine white, so for me I was it once a week usually. Depending.... But what I do is in the beginning of the summer, I detail like crazy, wash, clay, and I use the white wax from Chemical Guys. Then every time I wash it after that it's a quick wash. That wax for me in NY keeps most of the crap off my car, making it easier for the weekly washes. I've only had to use clay to touch up spots that may have a stupid glob of tar or something sticky from the roads. But I really think if you apply a really good wax in the beginning of the season and end, it'll keep your weekly washing a to a quick 30 minutes or so. Depending on what type of wheels you have and how you are with them. I'll be honest there are times my car isn't so bad, but my BBS are filthy, and I will do a quick wash on the wheels only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
I did a correction paint detail about 3 months ago. I wash my car at least twice a week and takes me about 30 min. Pressure clean to take all the top dirt. Then wash and wax from a car detail company. Wash the wheels with a brush. Dry it and good to go for another week or less. Once every month or so I seal it and wax it (1hr with DA). That's it. I enjoy it a lot!!!! The pressure cleaner helps a lot and makes it fast. Also the wash n wax that I have is really good. Easy on, easy off, no marks if it dries.
The color of my car is in my avatar. Space Grey. I choose this color because I was told it requires less maintenance to keep it clean. I think it does hide a little bit the dirt and hard spots but I know I am ANAL in cleanness so I have to keep it clean all the time.

To all members who say I am lazy or don't enjoy it. I do enjoy cleaning the car and I am not lazy but it is taking so much time. Time that I should be spending with family. They are getting irritated from this hobby. They even are telling me don't drive the car and keep it in garage when we go out together so that I don't need spend time in cleaning it again.

My M3 is daily driver for me and I bought with this consideration (DD) so I have to accept (I guess) to live with moderate dirtiness/dust. If I keep the car in garage when it rains, I wont be driving it but only 5 times a year. It rains randomly in here. Even for 5 min a day...ughh
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #28
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
You did recommend this to me before but I heard using Quick detailer removes existing wax on the car. I think my last option will be to opti-coat the car and see what happens but before applying it..I have to detail it once more lol
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #29
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
It needs some real scars! A few chips on the bumper and side skirt because you worked the b to the core to do the work it was designed to do. I used to be like that about my guitar until I understood what it was like to be a real player. Now my guitar has player scratches and dents from that reflect a history I won't forget. Scars of use, not abuse, from how it was meant to be used. Seasoned is one way to put it.

I am now ok with my bumper scars. The first one was tough to deal with, after a while I was healed!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #30
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
You did recommend this to me before but I heard using Quick detailer removes existing wax on the car. I think my last option will be to opti-coat the car and see what happens but before applying it..I have to detail it once more lol
i didn't say quick detailer. i said waterless wash. look into pinnacle waterless wash. it contains wax and waterless washes won't remove wax and neither will quick detailers. ask in the detailing forum where there is real knowledge from members who have experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #31
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Dust happens. And in the Summer months, it happens fast. You can't park outside 24/7 and expect a dust-free car. A nice garage makes a huge difference, esp. since dampness at night really attracts the dirt.

I know there are some cover-haters here, but last Summer when I was driving the M3 to work four days a week, I covered it every day at work with a SilverGuard Plus soft-lined car cover, and it worked out great. Car was either in the garage or under a cover, and that keeps a detail job looking, well, detailed. People complain about car covers being a PITA to use, and that's partly correct, but on the other side, it saves a bunch of time by not cleaning the car as much.

Last edited by Beemdog; 08-20-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #32
D_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08_Interlagos_Blue_E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post

Give the product I recommended a try this weekend. I usually pick it up at the BMW motorcycle dealership out here in MD (Bob's BMW Motorcycles). A dealership in VA might have it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #33
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 / 991 / Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
If you park outside for work and outside at home, your car will ALWAYS be dirty. I gave up on keeping my car clean a month after I got it (the exterior anyway). My M3 is my daily driver, and I park it outside at home and in a roofless parking lot at work. So 1 day after a wash, it's relatively dirty...
Ouch. And your car is black too isn't it?
If my car was always outside I would just to drive through car wash every week. Get the top one that comes with a free extra wash within the same week and go again, but those are normally the touch ones. Nothing wrong with getting a touchless wash at the gas station every time you fill up at places that give discounts when buying a car wash.

There's so many solutions to having a clean car! I'm a bit too fanatic with detailing, I must admit. I told Manda the only way I would get an extra sports car for her to drive was if it always remained clean. It adds a sense of pride of ownership and couldn't imagine having my most expensive items be dirty. Sometimes I look forward for it to get a bit dirty just so I can wash it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #34
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Ceramic Pro and a spray pump, solvent and microfiber a for a 15min wash easy.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #35
phxbenk
///M
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

After I traded in my 335 for the M3, I bought an old Infiniti QX4 to beat around in.
Cheaper maintenance, is an auto, hauls bikes around great and goes off road.
If I get a door ding, dust storm, rain, I really don't care.

I take the M3 for long drives or road trips and enjoy it for what it was built for, probably wash it once a month, detail once a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #36
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
I get mine professionally detailed one a year, and go to a touch-less car wash once a week. I hand wash it when I can, but its hard for me to find the time. Either that or im too hungover on the weekends to do it, lol.
      08-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #37
rixride
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 e92 & 2007 328XI e92

I wash mine with organic h2o everyday.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #38
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshDawg View Post
Ouch. And your car is black too isn't it?
If my car was always outside I would just to drive through car wash every week. Get the top one that comes with a free extra wash within the same week and go again, but those are normally the touch ones. Nothing wrong with getting a touchless wash at the gas station every time you fill up at places that give discounts when buying a car wash.

There's so many solutions to having a clean car! I'm a bit too fanatic with detailing, I must admit. I told Manda the only way I would get an extra sports car for her to drive was if it always remained clean. It adds a sense of pride of ownership and couldn't imagine having my most expensive items be dirty. Sometimes I look forward for it to get a bit dirty just so I can wash it.
LOL yeah my M3 is black. I still wash it weekly (if I am going anywhere besides work), and half-ass detail it every 2 months. I'm stoked to set up a detail day with you guys! I just claybarred it about a month ago or so. So when we detail I will be working some polish into the swirl marks to get rid of them. When I said "gave up" on keeping it look nice, I was more referring to not keeping it in photoworthy condition, as it gets dirty in about 2 days after I wash it . Microfibering the dust off before driving, etc.

Looks like you guys have some fun toys! We'll snap some cool detailing page!

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #39
Strokeyguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: Dinan E92 ZCP M3

Car Cover user and believer here also ! Sunbrella cover custom pre-ordered for the E92-m3 $450 (the stuff yacht sail are made from survives sun and salt indefinitively, there are not many covers that are 5 years warrantied !) + a soft undercover to protect the finish.

There is no answer fits all, it depends on what usage your car sees, where it is parked during your work hours / overnight and how anal you are about detailing.

If it's a DD, forget about using covers. But if it's your second car then a cover is perfect (works both outdoor or indoor). Removing folding/installing 2 covers takes me 4 minutes and once you get the hand of it, you can do it eyes closed (almost).

Never let a car outside overnight without a cover. It gets humid during the night and your car will look dirty in only a few nights.

I do not trust any automated car wash. Agree with therapeutic benefit from hand washing your car.
Now products. Your car must always have enough wax coat on it.

Never start a wash without doing a water pressure rinse step first. Followed by a foaming (Still without touching the car, CG SUPERSUDS II) and then a second water rinse. Now you can touch the car, I use a two buckets wash method with a No rinse hydrophobic agent and wool mit (OPT NO RINSE).

Doing this will keep a new car finish from accumulating micro scratches. Remember you cannot see micro scratches but they provide surface irregularities for dust and dirt to stick to your car (and to your wax). Random people still compliment me for getting a brand new car from the dealer. It really keeps a car looking new.

Wheels are a PITA. But if you have the right brushes ( WOOLIES SET, DAYTONA, BOARS 7 inch hairs and that painter's brush) it speeds that up. Just use some decent concentrated soap, those expensive chemical sprays are a waste of money and are toxic (don't trust the label that says no).

I would say my covers are my biggest help to keep my car clean, then waxing. Never letting the car sit for hours without a cover on it. My car stays looking detailed up to 2 weeks while seeing every other day use.

Yes, i occasionally cover my car away from home (workplace or worship place) but not in public places of course.

Note :Covers fit well in the trunk with enough space left for a week's worth of groceries shopping.

Last edited by Strokeyguy; 08-20-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #40
HPCR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 M3 - E90 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Which product are you using?? I like the idea, but it seems that I never can wash my car as good as the cheapest car wash around.
      08-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #41
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR View Post
Which product are you using?? I like the idea, but it seems that I never can wash my car as good as the cheapest car wash around.
pinnacle waterless wash. the shine it leaves behind is amazing and the cleaning ability is unreal. the wax left behind isn't strong, but it's nice knowing you have a little protection left behind. if you want no wax left behind i recommend ultima waterless wash.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #42
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Hand wash 45 mins a week, and switch to Akebono Ceramics so that you don't have to clean the rims and you are all set!
      08-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #43
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 / 991 / Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
LOL yeah my M3 is black. I still wash it weekly (if I am going anywhere besides work), and half-ass detail it every 2 months. I'm stoked to set up a detail day with you guys! I just claybarred it about a month ago or so. So when we detail I will be working some polish into the swirl marks to get rid of them. When I said "gave up" on keeping it look nice, I was more referring to not keeping it in photoworthy condition, as it gets dirty in about 2 days after I wash it . Microfibering the dust off before driving, etc.

Looks like you guys have some fun toys! We'll snap some cool detailing page!
Yes! Very excited about that indeed. I'm always down for a photoshoot of any kind. She's always the busy beaver. Black cars are very difficult but look great clean. I settled for dark blue on my car as a middle ground between deep reflection but not crazy high maintenance as black cars are. Do you use any waxes and glazes specific to black paint? I use blacklight on my dark blue, which we also use on the white M3. Definitely makes the white look darker and has less of a pop, so I feel like color specific waxes aren't just a gimmick like I used to think.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #44
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I wouldn't own a dark car without a garage. I enjoy a little detailing and with Jerez the reward is worth the effort. It's the highest maintenance color I've owned but also my favorite. She's my "Super Model".
Appreciate 0