BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
spliffin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Alpine ECU tune with burbles and valvetronic exhaust concerns

Hey everybody,

I currently have the Alpine tune from Alex with the 'light burbles' option and a few other coding options he offers.
I also have the full Bomiz Valvetronic exhaust system. My burbles are always on (the power button doesn't seem to turn them on/off).

I have been told that the burbles could damage the Valvetronic system if the valves are closed due to the back pressure.

So if I want to push my car, I have to be SCREECHING down the street? If i want to sit in the high rpm range then im always BANGING and POPPING; scaring children. So it feels like I am rarely experiencing the full potential of the high revving v8 because of this concern.

Does anyone have any input or experience with burble tunes and Valvetronic exhaust? Any input from forum warriors?

EDIT: I love the valved exhaust, and the burbles are fun when appropriate, but I just want a better understanding of what the car can handle.

Last edited by spliffin; 01-13-2021 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Burble or not, too much back pressure can damage the engine if you're running high rpms. There have been incidents of melted/stuck cats causing engine issues even with stock exhausts.

Also the idea of a valvetronic exhaust is for it to be quiet when you want to drive slowly. If you want to push the car, it's definitely a good idea to have the valves open, for safety and performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
spliffin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Burble or not, too much back pressure can damage the engine if you're running high rpms. There have been incidents of melted/stuck cats causing engine issues even with stock exhausts.

Also the idea of a valvetronic exhaust is for it to be quiet when you want to drive slowly. If you want to push the car, it's definitely a good idea to have the valves open, for safety and performance.
Thanks for the input, I understand that reducing back pressure is a benefit. I just want to understand how much back pressure the valves and motor can withstand? Is there a measurement to help me understand how much force is released at different throttle/heat levels?
Seems like i need to open an old textbook.
      01-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Youre worrying about damaging the chinese exhaust you have, I would be more concerned about washing down the cylinder.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

If it's any consolation, I've been running BPM Stage 2 light burble tune for 5yrs/70k kms now with a valvetronic exhaust and no issues. But I only close the valve when I'm driving slow.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You're overthinking it.

I've been running Alpine's burble file for over a year now and have had valves for two years. I've never once run into issues with the valves failing because of the burbles. All valved exhausts, no matter where they're made, will eventually fail. That's just the nature of the design. I've driven hard with my valves open and closed with no signs of wear. They actually failed once before I ever tuned my car if that says anything.

If you're concern is:

" I am rarely experiencing the full potential of the high revving v8 because of this concern."

Then just get rid of the burble file or change your exhaust.

A lot of members are running the burble file without issues on valved exhausts but if it's something that's constantly going to be on your mind, one of them has to go.

I just installed an ESS VT2-625 kit on my car and I'm going with a different tuner this time, removing the burbles completely. It was fun for the time being, but now I realize it's unnecessary on this motor.

Try to enjoy your car while you can man. It'll be alright.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
spliffin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
If it's any consolation, I've been running BPM Stage 2 light burble tune for 5yrs/70k kms now with a valvetronic exhaust and no issues. But I only close the valve when I'm driving slow.
Thanks Redd, that did ease my mind.
      01-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
spliffin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
You're overthinking it.

I've been running Alpine's burble file for over a year now and have had valves for two years. I've never once run into issues with the valves failing because of the burbles. All valved exhausts, no matter where they're made, will eventually fail. That's just the nature of the design. I've driven hard with my valves open and closed with no signs of wear. They actually failed once before I ever tuned my car if that says anything.

If you're concern is:

" I am rarely experiencing the full potential of the high revving v8 because of this concern."

Then just get rid of the burble file or change your exhaust.

A lot of members are running the burble file without issues on valved exhausts but if it's something that's constantly going to be on your mind, one of them has to go.

I just installed an ESS VT2-625 kit on my car and I'm going with a different tuner this time, removing the burbles completely. It was fun for the time being, but now I realize it's unnecessary on this motor.

Try to enjoy your car while you can man. It'll be alright.
This is the response I was looking for.
Thanks for the advice and input. I think it's time to just remove the burbles and enjoy the car with peace of mind.
Spitting flames is fun and all but I purchased the car to enjoy bmw engineering, not to get attention.
      01-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliffin View Post
This is the response I was looking for.
Thanks for the advice and input. I think it's time to just remove the burbles and enjoy the car with peace of mind.
Spitting flames is fun and all but I purchased the car to enjoy bmw engineering, not to get attention.
No worries man!

I'm also in SoCal, so if you ever want to cruise, let me know!
Appreciate 0