BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-17-2021, 12:24 AM   #1
Angr2387
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

headliner drooping down

hey my headliner drooping down and i knew trying to spray the 3m would most likely be a fail and boy was i right. posted a video what im dealing with. my question is in the nyc/ tri state area how much would be a fair price to get the headliner material replaced? The price of me bringing the headliner to the shop or the car itself to the shop. ( i assume if its already out for them to work on, it would be cheaper, as opposed them uninstalling and reinstalling the headliner onto the car.) thanks i was only able to call one shop that was open this weekend in elizabeth nj quoted me 250 if i bring it to him and 380 if i bring the car. thanks

Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-17-2021, 02:47 AM   #2
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

If you are getting 250 to 400 jump all over it. These headliners can very technical.

Have it done professionally. I've had a positive experience doing mine myself but in retrospect wouldn't hesitate having someone else do it.

You'll need to remove your seats and bench and pull out drivers side passenger to avoid creasing the headliner.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 02:57 AM   #3
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

another alternative is to check out mpartsww in Bergen County. I've dealt with them in the past. An e92 may be difficult to source though. They have used headliners for about $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PICK-UP-ONL.../143881593506?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
another alternative is to check out mpartsww in Bergen County. I've dealt with them in the past. An e92 may be difficult to source though. They have used headliners for about $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PICK-UP-ONL.../143881593506?
The sounds good because of the price, but I put a great condition used headliner in my car in June and it’s now sagging more than the one I took out. The newest used headliner you can get is now 8 years old, so I would not recommend this route.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

I'm not in NY so not an apples to apples comparison, but I paid $250 for a shop here in South Florida to reupholster it. The fabric they used was an identical match to the stock stuff.

As the post above me says, I also would not buy a used one since you may have the same thing happen shortly after installing it.

I removed/installed it from the car myself, which is a huge pain in the ass. It's a tight fit to get it through the side window no matter what you do. It helped to recline the seats as far back as possible and remove the headrests. Also recommend putting a thick towel on your dash so you don't scratch it with the corners of the headliner (which have some metal pieces). I ended up having to carefully bend the headliner, which was nerve-wracking... especially on the way back in.
Appreciate 4
Biginboca3763.50
DrFerry6728.50
TX366.00
      01-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #6
Angr2387
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks wish i checked the theread before i tackle the job. Got it out my shift knob got scratch but got a lifetime warranty off fcp euro. Will get it redone professionally will be calling shops
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #7
Angr2387
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got it out removing head rest . I wrap the back corners to avoid scratching the front scratch my shift knob and should of wrap that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:57 PM   #8
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
The sounds good because of the price, but I put a great condition used headliner in my car in June and it’s now sagging more than the one I took out. The newest used headliner you can get is now 8 years old, so I would not recommend this route.
Definitely see you point and agree with your recommendation however not everyone is going to have their headliner drop after 10, 15 or even 20 years. A car left outside in a humid, sunny climate, yes. One sourced from a car kept in perhaps a garage, dry, relatively cool environment, not so much. I've been on both sides of the coin in this situation.

Angr2387 , you seem like a resourceful and thrifty guy. If you decide to go to the DYI route check out these videos (he covers the whole process A to Z) or feel free to reach out to me, that how I got mine done for under $100. You would want to source 1/8 foam back material with a degree of flexibility to it. I've found 77 or the Dellwood adhesives to work best.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SAMM3Y3085.00
      01-18-2021, 12:54 AM   #9
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

By the way, there is common denominator to all these headliners dropping, having your windows either tinted or in my case re-tinted where they sprayed the hell out of the windows with solvent to release the old glue or clean the windows. Just a word of warning when having your car serviced or detailed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
I'm not in NY so not an apples to apples comparison, but I paid $250 for a shop here in South Florida to reupholster it. The fabric they used was an identical match to the stock stuff.
where did you have your headliner re-done in south florida?
      01-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #11
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
where did you have your headliner re-done in south florida?
I see you're in Miami so it's pretty far north from you (West Palm Beach) but it's a shop called "Palm Park Auto Upholstery" (should be able to google it and get their info). There's probably closer places down south near you as well.
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3763.50
TX366.00
      01-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
I see you're in Miami so it's pretty far north from you (West Palm Beach) but it's a shop called "Palm Park Auto Upholstery" (should be able to google it and get their info). There's probably closer places down south near you as well.
Palm Park did my headliner as well. Nice guys and they did a great job. I too removed the headline, prepped it, and dropped it off. They finished it in about three hours, and they were working on an Audi when I dropped it off.
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3763.50
TX366.00
      01-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #13
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Well I’ve been on the fence with DIY my replacement headliner or take it somewhere, and I think I found my place to take it to. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
Angr2387
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The sounds good because of the price, but I put a great condition used headliner in my car in June and it's now sagging more than the one I took out. The newest used headliner you can get is now 8 years old, so I would not recommend this route.
Definitely see you point and agree with your recommendation however not everyone is going to have their headliner drop after 10, 15 or even 20 years. A car left outside in a humid, sunny climate, yes. One sourced from a car kept in perhaps a garage, dry, relatively cool environment, not so much. I've been on both sides of the coin in this situation.

Angr2387 , you seem like a resourceful and thrifty guy. If you decide to go to the DYI route check out these videos (he covers the whole process A to Z) or feel free to reach out to me, that how I got mine done for under $100. You would want to source 1/8 foam back material with a degree of flexibility to it. I've found 77 or the Dellwood adhesives to work best.

Quote:
Quote:
The sounds good because of the price, but I put a great condition used headliner in my car in June and it's now sagging more than the one I took out. The newest used headliner you can get is now 8 years old, so I would not recommend this route.

Thanks for the info!! I would of tackle this down but it took me so long to vinyl wrap my car for various amounts of reasons the rear bumper i had trouble vinyl wrapping and took it to a pro will be ready by next weds, havent driven my car in 3 months. I just want it done at this point but i will love to try this one day eventually shop charging me 300. Hope they do a good job will be dropping it off tomm. Thanks for the post appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:06 AM   #15
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Awesome. I basically had them picked out to do the work after looking a few months back in the area, but never decided on the right shop so I appreciate the recommendation here.
Cheers from Jupiter!

Last edited by TX; 01-24-2021 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:53 AM   #16
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Palm Park did my headliner as well. Nice guys and they did a great job. I too removed the headline, prepped it, and dropped it off. They finished it in about three hours, and they were working on an Audi when I dropped it off.
Hey man, when you mentioned prepped it. Did you remove the fabric and brush off the old foam and glue prior to giving it to them? Again, a second thanks for mentioning Palm Park. They will get my business since I'm local to them.
      01-24-2021, 05:52 AM   #17
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Hey man, when you mentioned prepped it. Did you remove the fabric and brush off the old foam and glue prior to giving it to them? Again, a second thanks for mentioning Palm Park. They will get my business since I'm local to them.
Yes, I removed it from the car, stripped the fabric off, which took 30 seconds, and scrubbed the foam off. The foam basically disintegrates when scrubbed with a stiff brush, but remains sticky and boogers up. Some people use a drill with a wire brush attachment. I found that to be overkill and messy. I just used my shop vac with the brush attachment. After 99% of the foam was removed, I wiped it down with acetone. The surface under the foam looks/feels like a rubber coating sprayed over the cardboard. The whole process of stripping the headline took about a half hour.
Appreciate 1
TX366.00
      01-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angr2387 View Post
Thanks for the info!! I would of tackle this down but it took me so long to vinyl wrap my car for various amounts of reasons the rear bumper i had trouble vinyl wrapping and took it to a pro will be ready by next weds, havent driven my car in 3 months. I just want it done at this point but i will love to try this one day eventually shop charging me 300. Hope they do a good job will be dropping it off tomm. Thanks for the post appreciate it!
What shop did you end up using and how was their work?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #19
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Man I remember my dad's old '88 735i had the headliner droop. Didn't think they'd still be happening on modern BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #20
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I recovered it with Alcantara using 3M headliner spray. Easy.
      01-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #21
Angr2387
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax View Post
Quote:

It was a shop in fairfield ct, one hour from me. Called fairfield auto upholster he had it ready next day charged me 300$ . Changed everything. Good work [
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 12:47 AM   #22
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It was a shop in fairfield ct, one hour from me. Called fairfield auto upholster he had it ready next day charged me 300$ . Changed everything. Good work [
Appreciate the update and glad you got it sorted. Did you happen to get a shot of the backside, just curious how they managed the metal brackets.
Appreciate 0