BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #67
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
I have invested a bit of time and effort to create this for myself. Rear axle roll center correction and bump steer like schirmer cars. This is 16mm of roll center correction. This is the kinetics schirmer speaks of. I took inspiration of what is current available, but create my own design, CAD and measurements.
It can be done. I'll be testing it out soon.
More info to come.
This is awesome - really interested in seeing how this turns out. Run the strom uprights in the front as well and would love an accessible solution for the rear. Keep us posted!

Last edited by OG Shark; 08-25-2021 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r507.00
      08-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #68
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

tlrid3r I'm excited to see what you can do at Laguna after some testing!

Looks great! Do you know how much roll center correction is required for 10mm below competition package? I'm guessing that's 20mm from factory height if you were talking the standard height.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #69
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
tlrid3r I'm excited to see what you can do at Laguna after some testing!

Looks great! Do you know how much roll center correction is required for 10mm below competition package? I'm guessing that's 20mm from factory height if you were talking the standard height.
Correct. Comp pack plus 10mm below is about 20mm. From my measurements going positive on roll center correction doesn't have a negative affect. But just because I said 16mm of roll center correction that # means very little. Its the amount offset allowed with in the oem subframe mount hard points. The real # that will make an affect is the amount of degree change the arm gains. At 25mm lowered you are back at oem roll center. Lowered further than 25mm you start to lose a bit of roll center correction. Less than 25mm lowered you are positive on roll center correction. Might be better but I haven't tested.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6721.00
      08-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #70
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Correct. Comp pack plus 10mm below is about 20mm. From my measurements going positive on roll center correction doesn't have a negative affect. But just because I said 16mm of roll center correction that # means very little. Its the amount offset allowed with in the oem subframe mount hard points. The real # that will make an affect is the amount of degree change the arm gains. At 25mm lowered you are back at oem roll center. Lowered further than 25mm you start to lose a bit of roll center correction. Less than 25mm lowered you are positive on roll center correction. Might be better but I haven't tested.
That's pretty neat. I do wonder without front roll center correction, this seems moot to my car.

You are making me regret not getting in on that Strom group buy now..haha
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #71
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's pretty neat. I do wonder without front roll center correction, this seems moot to my car.

You are making me regret not getting in on that Strom group buy now..haha
I bought the Strom upright mostly cause I'm a sucker for machined aluminum parts and it's something outside of my capability. Plus it's also helps with mounting 295-305 tire clearance upfront. The rear you can already do that. You can fix front roll center with two control arm from SPL. Easy and cheaper.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #72
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I bought the Strom upright mostly cause I'm a sucker for machined aluminum parts and it's something outside of my capability. Plus it's also helps with mounting 295-305 tire clearance upfront. The rear you can already do that. You can fix front roll center with two control arm from SPL. Easy and cheaper.
mounting the 295/30/18 up front sounds like a good benefit too.

Do you plan to make a few extra sets of your rear sphericals?
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r507.00
      08-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #73
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Could also move the subframe up a bit with these (12mm of correction for extra $):

http://www.mk-motorsportteile.de/epages/63717011.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63717011/Products/%22Alu%20Lager%20e92%22

Quote:
Im not a expert, just an engineer with an interest and looking for a solution to our platform. It's not just about being lowered or not. It's that lowering exacerbates this negative affect exponentially. Because it all adds up. Loading into a corner, riding the berms all impact roll center when you most demand it.
High spring rates can help but the car may be great a one track and not the other. Because proper suspension articulation is what provide mechanical grip. But the word articulation is not use to say that more movement is better.
Simply put, if your car is lowered and your roll center is in the proper place. The moment arm with have a less leverage on moving the chassis, your 600lbs spring may be sufficient where your would need 1000lbs spring with improper roll center.
Than to add on top of that. Camber loss, bump steering due too improper motion. Roll Center correction should fix all that.

My design and from what I can see from the limitation of the rear subframe (with-out major modifications of cutting into the subframe) all other providers of roll center correction kit can only correct a max of a 25mm drop from factory height.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #74
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Ha! I have the BW subframe bushings installed on my car, they dont correct for roll center that I am aware of. It doesnt make sense to me that moving the subframe away from the car corrects geometery as that would further make it worse. Moving it up as the car is lowered makes more sense to correct geometery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Interesting you just shared these as I was pondering this last night while talking to some other m3 dudes about about roll center correction. These bush actually divorce the subframe from the chassis not move it closer. The BimmerWorld bush do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #75
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Ha! I have the BW subframe bushings installed on my car, they dont correct for roll center that I am aware of. It doesnt make sense to me that moving the subframe away from the car corrects geometery as that would further make it worse. Moving it up as the car is lowered makes more sense to correct geometery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Interesting you just shared these as I was pondering this last night while talking to some other m3 dudes about about roll center correction. These bush actually divorce the subframe from the chassis not move it closer. The BimmerWorld bush do the same thing.
I do too and I'm trying to figure out why, when they're installed from the bottom up all the way to the flange, they move the subframe away from the car. Looks like that link you posted though the rc correction is +100euro. So does that include the offset bush for the lower control arms?
      08-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #76
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mounting the 295/30/18 up front sounds like a good benefit too.

Do you plan to make a few extra sets of your rear sphericals?

I can, but I paid a big penny for these. Mainly because the low quantity run with the machine shop. I purchased all the spherical bearings at full price, I didn't get any discount. Only thing I regret is having the bushing black anodized, they get scratched with a press fit install, I would do clear anodizing, plus it cost less. I didn't cheap out on anything. I also did several 3D printed parts to check fitment and design which also cost a lot. In all I spent $3100. I would have to do at least enough for 10 cars to be able to bring the cost down. I think the cost has to be cut to at least half or else just buy Schirmer or MK parts. I think we need a group-buy to be set up.

Also a little update, I finished the complete install, I got to drive the car to my work to use a lift so I can do a string alignment. It feels more hooked, I feel like I have more grip, my street wheels have 275 square PS4S, I hope it's not placebo. I will soon do a track test, but it has just been too hot here in California, plus all the fires are not so pleasant. My track wheel runs 295 square AR1's. Here is a little video of the suspension motion and where the control arms end up at ride height with my Hubstands that I also made. They are perfectly horizontal from pivot point to pivot point.

FullSizeRender

Bonus picture (In home HubStand setup)
Only way I can properly do suspension development at ride height and get proper measurements.

Last edited by tlrid3r; 02-22-2024 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 6
roastbeef11567.00
derbo3584.50
ornicar133.00
DrFerry6721.00
tetsuo1111224.00
slcook541858.00
      08-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #77
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Could also move the subframe up a bit with these (12mm of correction for extra $):

http://www.mk-motorsportteile.de/epa...Lager%20e92%22
I heard form someone here on the forums that you need to cut and weld to install this one because you need to create clearance for the subframe or it hits the body.
but I can't find any real info on that.
Appreciate 1
M43S7RO501.00
      08-28-2021, 12:36 AM   #78
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I can, but I paid a big penny for these. Mainly because the low quantity run with the machine shop. I purchased all the spherical bearings at full price, I didn't get any discount. Only thing I regret is having the bushing black anodized, they get scratched with a press fit install, I would do clear anodizing, plus it cost less. I didn't cheap out on anything. I also did several 3D printed parts to check fitment and design which also cost a lot. In all I spent $3100. I would have to do at least enough for 10 cars to be able to bring the cost down. I think the cost has to be cut to at least half or else just buy Schirmer or MK parts. I think we need a group-buy to be set up.

Also a little update, I finished the complete install, I got to drive the car to my work to use a lift so I can do a string alignment. It feels more hooked, I feel like I have more grip, my street wheels have 275 square PS4S, I hope it's not placebo. I will soon do a track test, but it has just been too hot here in California, plus all the fires are not so pleasant. My track wheel runs 295 square AR1's. Here is a little video of the suspension motion and where the control arms end up at ride height with my Hubstands that I also made. They are perfectly horizontal from pivot point to pivot point.

Bonus picture (In home HubStand setup)
Only way I can properly do suspension development at ride height and get proper measurements.
Unfortunately, I dont see a video but the pics look great! The cost of curiosity. It definitely sounds like it makes more sense to just buy the MK bushings. I'm not sure what kind of group buy interest there would be or who would be willing to facilitate one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #79
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

@derbo

I'll gather more details and finish my testing. Than I can look into group buy. Again I think if there is enough people it's possible to bring the price down to maybe $1400 to $1500. Maybe even cheaper. MK bushing is $1850 mainly because international ship. Schirmer is $2400+
Only reason I didn't just buy one those is because I working on other development stuff for my car.

https://flic.kr/p/2mjApct
Not sure if this works. If not I'll fix it tomorrow
Appreciate 4
derbo3584.50
ornicar133.00
tetsuo1111224.00
      08-28-2021, 01:59 AM   #80
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
@derbo

I'll gather more details and finish my testing. Than I can look into group buy. Again I think if there is enough people it's possible to bring the price down to maybe $1400 to $1500. Maybe even cheaper. MK bushing is $1850 mainly because international ship. Schirmer is $2400+
Only reason I didn't just buy one those is because I working on other development stuff for my car.

That video works! Shipping internationally from Europe definitely is costly.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #81
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
@derbo

Loving what you are doing! Do you mind sharing what ride height you are currently at? Like the standard bmw measurement bottom of rim to fender lip (with the wheel diameter), or hub center to fender lip measurements.

Trying to balance your feedback of the roll correction amount you have achieved against the ride height changes you have made.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #82
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
@derbo

Loving what you are doing! Do you mind sharing what ride height you are currently at? Like the standard bmw measurement bottom of rim to fender lip (with the wheel diameter), or hub center to fender lip measurements.

Trying to balance your feedback of the roll correction amount you have achieved against the ride height changes you have made.
Sure no problem. My current ride height.

18" wheel
Front 580mm
Rear 564mm
This is measured from bottom of rim lip to fender edge.
Appreciate 3
derbo3584.50
Biginboca3759.50
      08-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #83
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I just got the fall line LCA. It comes with a camber shim set. Does this help with roll center correction, or does it need to be in the bushing?
Attached Images

08-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #84
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I just got the fall line LCA. It comes with a camber shim set. Does this help with roll center correction, or does it need to be in the bushing?
The shims just help lock adjustments into place from what I know. The bushings are needed to change the geometry of the suspension itself.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11567.00
      08-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #85
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Nope. The arm pivot points need to be moved up or down in order to change roll center.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11567.00
      08-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #86
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. The arm pivot points need to be moved up or down in order to change roll center.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yup it does not. That adjustment shim is for camber setting.

derbo is correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #87
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Great accomplishment, and I look forward to the results on the track! From what I see, you did correction on the camber link. Did you consider correction on the rest of the arms? If not, why? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #88
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlo View Post
Great accomplishment, and I look forward to the results on the track! From what I see, you did correction on the camber link. Did you consider correction on the rest of the arms? If not, why? Thanks.
I did the correction also on the trailing arm a total of 8 bushings. The Trailing arm corrects bump steer.

2 eccentric bushing with spherical bearing internals for Camber arm (Roll Center correction)
2 eccentric bushing with spherical bearing internals for trailing arm (bump steer correction)

Per side of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
derbo3584.50
cwlo83.50
Exclusivs540.50
tetsuo1111224.00
dmitriyo246.00
slcook541858.00
tsk941513.00