BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #23
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
The white corrosion product is the reaction of the zinc coating used on the steel. This is typically referred to as white rust. The spot welds tended to show red rust as the zinc either evaporated or alloys with the steel substrate.

Typically cars will rust through at hem flanges. This usually is from the inside out. It was interesting to see that they reapplied a wax inside all of the box sections.

Remember, modern vehicles are designed with with about a ten year rust through warranty. The surface corrosion seen likely wouldn't have progressed far enough for a warranty claim. Also at some point they want you to have to buy a new car!
Yes, planned obsolescence via falling apart, or something.

I know they have a business to run, and need to "maximise shareholder value" by minimising waste in production, but there is much more sensitivity now about the wastefulness of throwing things away.

And their objectives on forcing you into buying a new car, are happily (knowingly) met by the ever growing government mandated emissions carp. That is such a gold mine for vehicle manufacturers now.

I seem to recall that Mercedes went to a lifetime corrosion warranty on their cars (subject to various limitations).

BMW's is 12 years, and I have a claim lodged with them for corrosion appearing on my wife's E91, which has just passed 8 years. They are trying to wriggle out of this, as I have lost the service book. Yet every service, warranty repair, and annual check has been done to the letter by the same BMW dealership. And I have 20+ pages of service history printed from their system.

But that is another whinge/story.

I need to get a slot in Redish's diary....
      09-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Great video. I think I will do this. Should be a good project. My car is driven year round in NH where the roads are salted in winter and my car is 10 years old so it’s probably in much worse shape underneath.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #25
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Great video. I think I will do this. Should be a good project. My car is driven year round in NH where the roads are salted in winter and my car is 10 years old so it’s probably in much worse shape underneath.
I have seen another "refresh" on a 2007, 90+k car, and it was significantly worse, so the sooner the better!

The key is, of course, ensuring that the corrosion does not return, underneath whatever protective coating you apply.

POR-15 seems to be the choice at Redish, but I have no experience of this.
      11-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #26
stanglmeier
Private
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

For those who have embarked on an underside restoration, what are we looking at in terms of cost (Labour & Parts) for a car in roughly the same shape as the video?
I'd also love to know if there is a place in Canada/Ontario where I could get a quote on this.
My car only has 20k miles but surface corrosion has definitely started to hit the subframe, diff, and bolts/mounts even though it isn't winter driven in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #27
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would not be surprised at 24 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #28
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

There’s enough grounds on the car to keep it from corroding, when I did My subframe and diff I covered The underbody in por15 and powder coated my subframe, still looks good.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
stanglmeier
Private
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
There’s enough grounds on the car to keep it from corroding, when I did My subframe and diff I covered The underbody in por15 and powder coated my subframe, still looks good.
This is exactly what I want to do. I don't want to go to extremes like some of the full blown Redish e46 m3 repairs, but hitting the important areas and preventing any long-term damage is my main goal.
How long/how much did this all take?
I'll start asking around next summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #30
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would not be surprised at 24 hours of labor.
I think it was about 30 hours labour in that video.

But they really do go to great lengths to ensure a high quality job
      12-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglmeier View Post
This is exactly what I want to do. I don't want to go to extremes like some of the full blown Redish e46 m3 repairs, but hitting the important areas and preventing any long-term damage is my main goal.
How long/how much did this all take?
I'll start asking around next summer.
I had about 16 hours of working time in it, a lot of the time was in prepping the surface and there was a lot of down time letting the surface dry and letting the product cure. My car didn’t really have corrosion under it but I plan to keep it awhile so the por15 was a good measure.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #32
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

An update

I took the plunge and booked my car in at Redish who were fully booked 6 months ahead. As this gave me some time, I also kept on BMW's case regarding the general corrosion problems underneath - components, subframe etc, as well as the obvious body under-panel corrosion which could be seen just by removing the rear wheels.

I am glad to say that - with a little persuasion and really good support from my local dealer - BMW GB did cover a substantial investment to replace the corroded axle carrier (subframe) and most of the rear suspension components.

Examining the RACP with the carrier removed meant that my car clearly showed the same corrosion spots as in the Redish video at the beginning of this thread, and as BMW would not cover this (no "inside to out" corrosion) I decided to go all the way with Redish.

2 weeks after the component replacement work (at the back) my car was due for its annual safety inspection, and at my request my local dealer had a good look at the front suspension to track down a knocking noise that was apparent on corrugated surfaces. Once diagnosed, this resulted in both tie-rods and a lower suspension arm being replaced under warranty.

At this point BMW had funded around £7k of parts and labour.

In feel, the car was transformed - so much more precise. And once again rattle free.

Then....to Redish.

There should be a full video from them soon. I have many update videos which they sent to me during the process (over 3 weeks) and suffice to say they did a fantastic job and I am really pleased that I did take the plunge and fund this myself. Their attention to detail and commitment to quality are outstanding.

The underside is now a joy to behold!

And they also fitted my M-Performance steering wheel (with shift lights, V1) which I had re-trimmed at DesignLS - also an excellent job which I will show in another post, when I have time (which is now...in lockdown....).
      11-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #33
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

I forgot the video!

Only a year late (I forgot) - here is the full video of the work done on my car, by Redish.

Glad that I decided to invest in this as the car definitely needed it

12-01-2020, 01:34 AM   #34
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Only a year late (I forgot) - here is the full video of the work done on my car, by Redish.

Glad that I decided to invest in this as the car definitely needed it

I watched this entire video. You have an amazing car there! Thanks God I live in Texas!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #35
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
I watched this entire video. You have an amazing car there! Thanks God I live in Texas!
Thank you - yes I find Redish videos strangely hypnotic/fascinating.

I frequently wish that I lived somewhere with rather less rainfall, and no salt on the winter roads.

I have just spent the last 3 hours cleaning my car and now need to take advantage of the cloudless day, for a quick spin to dry everything off, before the discs go rusty.

Oh for a decent climate...
      12-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #36
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

If you guys think BMW is bad, compare that to GM, who didn't even bother painting the frame on my truck.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 08:04 PM   #37
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
If you guys think BMW is bad, compare that to GM, who didn't even bother painting the frame on my truck.
You think Gm is bad? Try comparing that to a Tacoma frame
I’m going to POR 15 the frame entirely, and I live in the California desert..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #38
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My old 08 m3 was owned in Germany, then Hawaii. Underside was horrible. Sadly someone hit me and it was totaled before I could restore the underside
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #39
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

There is a rubber trim piece that runs along the top of the trunk… When I cleaned it out, I pulled out what appeared to be years worth of moist crud that built up in there, which I assume can't be good to stay against the paint like that, especially if you live in a region that salts the roads.

And I know you asked about metal corrosion, but since we're on the topic of E93 maintenance, proper rubber treatment of the convertible top, to keep it supple, is crucial for longevity.
Appreciate 0