BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #67
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
It's because of this ....
Lol!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #68
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
These are 5-10 year old cars that sell for as little as $15-20k. Most of the people who want you to give them a run could buy an E9xM3. Give them a run instead of acting like you are too special for them, and if you lose, man up. I have lost and won.
Most cars that I've seen out there that want to challenge you are either Subie WRX Sti's, American muscle, modded cars, etc. I've never come across a Porsche owner who wants to race and almost all Porsche owners on the road seem like they are just looking to cruise and not trying to challenge anyone.
      02-22-2019, 10:56 PM   #69
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesM3 View Post
My m3 doesn't get a second look and I like it that way.

Funny how some think so highly of themselves. I'd guess the demographics of the typical used m3 owner is possibly lower than a new Honda Accord buyer.

The e90/92 are fantastic cars, but easily attainable by most.
It's got nothing to do with money. At all. If I was trying to show off I'd have bought something 3x the price and much less inspired. It's not even about thinking highly of oneself. If I did, I'd be out joyriding trying to impress loser-ass women who could care less about an obnoxiously loud late model 3 series instead of sitting on my couch typing on a message forum on a Friday night.

The M3 is an enthusiasts car. It requires some finesse to own. As a car guy, some of the tedium and special considerations that come with ownership is what makes ownership special to me. It's not like other cars I've owned. I've owned more expensive and much faster cars. I like the special-needs aspect of the car. I like the history of the Motorsport division, I live the sound of the car. I love the community. When I see someone in an M3 I know that's a car dude, I like that.

I love the M3 because I love it, not because of what it costs or what other people think it costs.

I love the car for the same reason I love collecting vinyl. Both are taking an every day task (driving, listening to music) and making it a hobby and making me more connected with things I enjoy (driving, listening to music).

If I gave the impression that I thought I was "special" then i may have not properly conveyed my message. The discussion of maintenance costs may have muddied the message.
Preach! Agreed

It really sounds so amazing!!!
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      02-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #70
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerikivan View Post
well once you get a tune it will give you a better usable torque... well for me its usually the 335i that always wanna race when im just trying to go home.. but its funny if we were in the backs roads where the m3 shine and they couldnt get away from me
What tunes do you recommend? I've done the euro dct flash so far.

Yup same thing happened to me driving home from Palm Springs on the 60 fwy this loud backfiring 335 keeping pace with me 🤷🏽*♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #71
gerikivan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by storM3trooper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerikivan View Post
well once you get a tune it will give you a better usable torque... well for me its usually the 335i that always wanna race when im just trying to go home.. but its funny if we were in the backs roads where the m3 shine and they couldnt get away from me
What tunes do you recommend? I've done the euro dct flash so far.

Yup same thing happened to me driving home from Palm Springs on the 60 fwy this loud backfiring 335 keeping pace with me 🤷🏽*♂️
i went with alex alpine tune and they had a group buy at that time which my tune cost me about 450 i think..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:09 PM   #72
carenthuziast
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
In 2019, properly maintaining an E9x M3 outside of warranty is what separates the men from the boys.

Also.... banks aren't so quick to hand out $20k loans on a 10 year old car.

People might be able to afford a $300 car payment, not many people can walk out of the bank with a cashiers check for $27,000
Factor in also the cost to insure this "old car" for someone who is a teen/early 20's. It still ain't cheap and many credit unions/banks that will give you a car loan and offer car warranty programs don't cover the M3.
      02-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #73
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I agree, if someone is in the market for a used sports car in the 25k-60k range (5-10 year old M cars, porches, corvettes, etc) it's not scary to own, cost-wise. I was merely arguing Joe Sixpack (the average american) isn't ponying up the cash for rod bearings. For all intents and purposes, it's a solid car and reliable when maintained.

That said... this is my first six months:

- $1000 Driveshaft (turner plus install)

- $800 DCT pan gasket/service, brake fluid flush, alignment, balancing

- $400 spark plugs, tubes, valve cover gaskets (DIY), misc interior trim pieces

- $2500 rod bearings

- $1000 x-pipe (need to replace something is wrong and there is an exhaust leak not fixed by gaskets and tightening bolts, sure I could do a $450 used factory pipe, or if I had a Mustang, a $300 high end x-pipe... must be magic metal in M3 x-pipes)

$5700 - I'll have had the 5 months in six days from now.

Next month I'll be putting new PS4s on the car to the tune of $1200 (I'm also refinishing my wheels which is $600, but that's personal)

So at six months in I'll be at about $7500, actually.

Or roughly... the full price of the 12 year old Chevy Silverado with 18 payments at 21% interest left driven by Joe Sixpack at the red light revving his engine at me.

Just kinda goes back to the "the guy trying to race you could buy your car, give them what they want" comment earlier.

I don't owe anyone a race because "they can afford my car".
Have the car for 2 years 9 days. 2 oil change and brake flash only (DIY) $273 total
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 12:41 AM   #74
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Quote:
I agree, if someone is in the market for a used sports car in the 25k-60k range (5-10 year old M cars, porches, corvettes, etc) it's not scary to own, cost-wise. I was merely arguing Joe Sixpack (the average american) isn't ponying up the cash for rod bearings. For all intents and purposes, it's a solid car and reliable when maintained.

That said... this is my first six months:

- $1000 Driveshaft (turner plus install)

- $800 DCT pan gasket/service, brake fluid flush, alignment, balancing

- $400 spark plugs, tubes, valve cover gaskets (DIY), misc interior trim pieces

- $2500 rod bearings

- $1000 x-pipe (need to replace something is wrong and there is an exhaust leak not fixed by gaskets and tightening bolts, sure I could do a $450 used factory pipe, or if I had a Mustang, a $300 high end x-pipe... must be magic metal in M3 x-pipes)

$5700 - I'll have had the 5 months in six days from now.

Next month I'll be putting new PS4s on the car to the tune of $1200 (I'm also refinishing my wheels which is $600, but that's personal)

So at six months in I'll be at about $7500, actually.

Or roughly... the full price of the 12 year old Chevy Silverado with 18 payments at 21% interest left driven by Joe Sixpack at the red light revving his engine at me.

Just kinda goes back to the "the guy trying to race you could buy your car, give them what they want" comment earlier.

I don't owe anyone a race because "they can afford my car".
Have the car for 2 years 9 days. 2 oil change and brake flash only (DIY) $273 total
Dang! For real?? What year model and mileage if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:24 AM   #75
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Props to your self control man! seriously though. That is not easy.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #76
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthuziast View Post
Quote:
These are 5-10 year old cars that sell for as little as $15-20k. Most of the people who want you to give them a run could buy an E9xM3. Give them a run instead of acting like you are too special for them, and if you lose, man up. I have lost and won.
Most cars that I've seen out there that want to challenge you are either Subie WRX Sti's, American muscle, modded cars, etc. I've never come across a Porsche owner who wants to race and almost all Porsche owners on the road seem like they are just looking to cruise and not trying to challenge anyone.
Very true

It's a maturity thing - a Porsche driver is probably between 45 to 65 years old and has accrued years of wisdom.

A modded 335i, Hyundai or Subie driver is probably 18 to 28 years old kid. More youth and exuberance than wisdom.

It's like this - an 18 year old kid speeds down ur street and pulls in your neighbors driveway. You walk over and say hey buddy take it easy cause there's lots of kids playing around here. But your polite and maybe compliment his car cause he is just a kid himself and we were all dumb kids once. Now if the same things happens but a 45 year old man gets out of the car you walk over and say dude WTF you should know better than to speed down this neighborhood street.
Appreciate 4
      02-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #77
L1FHR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Disagree!!! First month of owning the M3, the first person that tried to race me on the straight line was a Porsche owner (Cayenne). It was late night on the back road and then all of a sudden a Cayenne coming up behind me then next to me on the red light. I was like wtf!! So I press the "M" button LOLed just blow that sucker out of the road. In the beginning he was able to stay with me but once i hit 70ish i was goner.
Porsche was trying to keep up but i was too fast LOL.

On the serious note, I bought the M3 because of the sounds of the V8 (stock), the nicely build body (look at that front hump, there's no other car like it not even 335i or M wanna be), and the drive up and down on I-92 to Highway 1 (half moon bay).
The road up to Half moon bay is so curvy and have some straight line up the mountain that It's so much fun to drive the M3 (doing over 100mph). Low revving on 3/4 gear down the mountain and have "alpha romero" behind you just drooling over the sound of my V8 and the ass of that nice M3.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 3
      02-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #78
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1FHR View Post
Quote:
Disagree!!! First month of owning the M3, the first person that tried to race me on the straight line was a Porsche owner (Cayenne). It was late night on the back road and then all of a sudden a Cayenne coming up behind me then next to me on the red light. I was like wtf!! So I press the "M" button LOLed just blow that sucker out of the road. In the beginning he was able to stay with me but once i hit 70ish i was goner.

On the serious note, I bought the M3 because of the sounds of the V8 (stock), the nicely build body (look at that front hump, there's no other car like it not even 335i or M wanna be), and the drive up and down on I-92 to Highway 1 (half moon bay).
The road up to Half moon bay is so curvy and have some straight line up the mountain that It's so much fun to drive the M3 (doing over 100mph). Low revving on 3/4 gear down the mountain and have "alpha romero" behind you just drooling over the sound of my V8 and the ass of that nice M3.

Cheers!!
😆 I like the Porsche story - totally agree the car is sexy, love the power bulge
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #79
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I love these dick measuring threads!

question though. Do you all use a carpenters tape, or a seamstress tape?

Seriously, I keep cutting myself.
      02-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #80
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

When people roll next to me and want to measure dicks I have little poster-board I hold up.

Side 1: I don't care :/

SIde 2: F-Off

My daughter loves holding this sign up to these guys that interrupt my peaceful drive in the M3.

It's priceless to see their reaction. They usually just take off all upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #81
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Very true

It's a maturity thing - a Porsche driver is probably between 45 to 65 years old and has accrued years of wisdom.

A modded 335i, Hyundai or Subie driver is probably 18 to 28 years old kid. More youth and exuberance than wisdom.

It's like this - an 18 year old kid speeds down ur street and pulls in your neighbors driveway. You walk over and say hey buddy take it easy cause there's lots of kids playing around here. But your polite and maybe compliment his car cause he is just a kid himself and we were all dumb kids once. Now if the same things happens but a 45 year old man gets out of the car you walk over and say dude WTF you should know better than to speed down this neighborhood street.
Haha yea so true the first car that challenged me was an American muscle car. Agreed I get it most from modded cars, American muscle cars, an Alfa Romeo Giulia in my neighborhood and loud 335s. I haven't had any encounter with a Porsche driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #82
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!!
Yes the sound of the v8 is glorious! I originally wanted to upgrade to a f80 335 then mod it. But when I stumbled upon an alpine white e90 M3 and went for a test drive I instantly fell in love with the sound, there was no looking back.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #83
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #84
storM3trooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
When people roll next to me and want to measure dicks I have little poster-board I hold up.

Side 1: I don't care :/

SIde 2: F-Off

My daughter loves holding this sign up to these guys that interrupt my peaceful drive in the M3.

It's priceless to see their reaction. They usually just take off all upset.

Quote:

Lol is this the definition of a M snob? If so, you're taking it to the next level that is too funny!

But seriously yea most of the time I'm just enjoying the drive listening to the v8 sing. I even stopped turning my music on high
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #85
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Cheers!!

Agreed! The roads up to half moon Bay/San Mateo, 152 through the mountains, and the Grapevine are super fun in 4th gear!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #86
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:

maybe you should use a micrometer - the kind with no sharp edges ...
Attached Images

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #87
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by storM3trooper View Post
Dang! For real?? What year model and mileage if I may ask?
2011 E92 with 79K miles. I will never replace rod bearings bullshit or TBA if it doesn't give up. Daily drive and push it real hard every time I have a chance..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #88
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Step 1) You hear what sounds like a lawnmower devouring a box of nails in the distance. It gets louder, and closer. A 4 Cyl Mustang convertible with glasspacks pulls up next to you and gives you "the look".

Step 2) Give a gentle nod as if you are ready to go.

Step 3) Light turns green, Mustang floors it. You remain calm and drive off at a regular pace but remain in 2nd gear and hold the gear steady at 4k RPM. As the Mustang realizes he is racing himself, he will slow down to your pace.

Step 4) Armed and ready do a quick 2nd to 3rd pull so he can hear your glorious V8 sing to redline in its optimal powerband.

Step 5) Realize these cars are not meant for red light racing. The E92 M3 is not impressively quick in a straight line, so why risk a ticket, or potential accident just to show off the meager low end torque to some stranger? If you must stroke your ego, do so with the sound -- the single most impressive thing about the E92 outside out of the driving experience.
Appreciate 2