BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw e90 m3

AFD Proflex Commander -> E85 tune

Hey guys!
So i was running AFD proflex for about a year and finally decided to get full E85 tune and went with Rktune because the price was fair. He also sent a Pump gas tune aswell. So heres how it feels.

AFD kit + PUMP tune> AFD kit alone
E85 tune =\<AFD kit alone
AFD kit + PUMP felt the fastest (butt dyno)

Keep in mind I haven't really got on the E85 tune fully yet due to rain BUT driving around / throttle response seems less or equal to AFD no tune. Only took it up to about 6-7k rpm. Gunna plan a dyno day as well soon.

I just emailed Jordan@rktunes to see if those are the one and only revisions he sends out and im hoping they aren't.

Also, AFD kit + E85 tune DOES NOT work with each other. It misfires and goes into limp mode. Just an FYI.

Was i better off just leaving the AFD kit and having abilities to pump regular and e85 as I please? A little disappointed...

AFD KIT forsale BTW.

Id appreciate any input from you guys. THANX!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would have expected the E85 tune to significantly outperform the AFD, since the AFD does not change ignition timing. It will just let you hit thevtiming targets of the stock or aftermarket pump gas tube that you have, and those targets are probably about 5 degrees less timing than E85 allows.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

I honestly expected a night and day difference from the AFD to E85 tune but instead felt the same or possibly even less. But yet the AFD+ PUMP tune felt the best. Maybe jordan went really conservative with the tune? Im waiting for his email and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
maristgrad09
Major
Rep
Drives: Orange e92 m3 FBO+E85

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
from RK 93oct tune to full e95 RK tune you will only gain 10whp so the gains aren't that much anyway. I highly doubt you lost any whp with what you did.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phodatbiet View Post
I honestly expected a night and day difference from the AFD to E85 tune but instead felt the same or possibly even less. But yet the AFD+ PUMP tune felt the best. Maybe jordan went really conservative with the tune? Im waiting for his email and see what he says.
Won’t be night and day. I agree with the poster above that the gains are probably in the 10 rwhp gain. Most people can’t really feel 10 rwhp out of 400 rwhp. On a track it might be measured and a race driver might notice.

I think he tuned an ARH exhaust car on E85, the fastest NA E9xM3 in the quarter mile. About 120 mph as I recall. Last year, I think. Anyway if you got the same tune but did not have the same mods, you might need a revised version of the tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.. gunna get her on a dyno soon and see what it looks like.. I'll update the post when i do.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Dakar edition

Please dyno pump vs afd vs rk tunese85. As far as I know rktunes and gintani have the strongest e85 tunes on the market. What percent ethanol are you running with the e85 tune? Afd is very good but I am pretty sure it should be no match for a full e85 tune. Out of interest how does the car feel from stock map to rktune e85 map?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Bam View Post
Please dyno pump vs afd vs rk tunese85. As far as I know rktunes and gintani have the strongest e85 tunes on the market. What percent ethanol are you running with the e85 tune? Afd is very good but I am pretty sure it should be no match for a full e85 tune. Out of interest how does the car feel from stock map to rktune e85 map?
I already removed the afd kit and wont be throwing it back in at all (for sale) but may possibly do the pump tune vs. e85 tune vs pump no tune..

Also, now that the rain cleared, ive been able to drive it more and it definitely feels alot better!! Apparently the ecu has to adapt "learn" the tune? Whatever it was, i am definitely enjoying the e85 tune now!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #9
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

in the real world e85 really does shit for NA cars....cept wear out fuel system items faster.
      02-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Some NA cars are flex fuel from the factory and running E85 does not hurt anything
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Some NA cars are flex fuel from the factory and running E85 does not hurt anything
yes because they were designed with flex fuel in mind...

but to each their own, i wouldnt flex an NA high strung engine, some people would. now if i had a boosted car thats a different story. On FI cars the + outweigh the -.
      02-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #12
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I already removed the afd kit and wont be throwing it back in at all (for sale) but may possibly do the pump tune vs. e85 tune vs pump no tune..

Also, now that the rain cleared, ive been able to drive it more and it definitely feels alot better!! Apparently the ecu has to adapt "learn" the tune? Whatever it was, i am definitely enjoying the e85 tune now!
That is 100% correct. It was slowly adding more timing and other changes. I am glad the car is now making you happy. A E85 map is just 2nd to none in my personal opinion.

does RK tunes recommend full e85 or e50 or anything from a certain percentage to e85.

what other supporting mods do you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
in the real world e85 really does shit for NA cars....cept wear out fuel system items faster.
each to their own however you will see that it is easier to get the the magical "400whp" with e85.

even those gt86s are using e85 with a map switch and they are getting good results.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:57 PM   #14
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is 100% correct. It was slowly adding more timing and other changes. I am glad the car is now making you happy. A E85 map is just 2nd to none in my personal opinion.

does RK tunes recommend full e85 or e50 or anything from a certain percentage to e85.

Cat delete, afe intake, fresh plugs, im not too sure but it mite require full e85 and not a mixture.. my request was for full e85 tune..

And my goal is that "400whp" na ... so far very satisfied and would recommend RKtunes.. costumer service was on point aswell.. Jordan reached out to me when I emailed him about my concerns ( this thread) in a timely manner.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #15
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cat delete, afe intake, fresh plugs, im not too sure but it mite require full e85 and not a mixture.. my request was for full e85 tune..

And my goal is that "400whp" na ... so far very satisfied and would recommend RKtunes.. costumer service was on point aswell.. Jordan reached out to me when I emailed him about my concerns ( this thread) in a timely manner.
nice man I am happy for you. I would invest in a pulley system as well. I got the MS pulley cant really feel that much of a difference but I do run away from 95% of other tuned m3s. I got a 91 octane map. I have heard plugs wear out slightly quicker with ethanol but I am not sure how true this is
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nice man I am happy for you. I would invest in a pulley system as well. I got the MS pulley cant really feel that much of a difference but I do run away from 95% of other tuned m3s. I got a 91 octane map. I have heard plugs wear out slightly quicker with ethanol but I am not sure how true this is
Yea!! I have an MS pulley lying around just haven't gotten to install it yet..definitely gunna go full x-pipe soon also (no cats or resonators)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea!! I have an MS pulley lying around just haven't gotten to install it yet..definitely gunna go full x-pipe soon also (no cats or resonators)
that is my setup. I ran a 12.3 with ms pulley and intake and full custom exhaust only 2 back boxes. with crappy tyres and a 91 octane tune. if you have the same setup with a rktune e85 file I am sure you will see high 11s
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #18
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

From my experience, AFD+pump tune has shown the most horsepower on the dyno. I believe I've seen more pump+afd over 400whp than I have RK/Gintani e85 tunes. The full e85 tunes are hitting 390-400whp with x pipe, underdrive pulley etc and that's with higher timing targets. Impressive yes, but you still don't have the flex fuel ability.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #19
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
From my experience, AFD+pump tune has shown the most horsepower on the dyno. I believe I've seen more pump+afd over 400whp than I have RK/Gintani e85 tunes. The full e85 tunes are hitting 390-400whp with x pipe, underdrive pulley etc and that's with higher timing targets. Impressive yes, but you still don't have the flex fuel ability.
Damn .. so my but dyno was correct? Lol.. cuz that's exactly what it felt like.. hence this post.. the AFD+pump tune definitely felt the best .. maybe i just mite keep the afd kit and run it that way..thanx for ur input!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #20
phodatbiet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do u have any links/dyno charts to back these up? When u say over 400whp, what kind of numbers exactly? Id totally keep my afd kit and slap it back on if the whp looks good enough to do so.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #21
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Quote:
Do u have any links/dyno charts to back these up? When u say over 400whp, what kind of numbers exactly? Id totally keep my afd kit and slap it back on if the whp looks good enough to do so.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...2#post21853279 this was 406whp, I've seen a few on Instagram hard to find stuff that's years old. I know user gzim335 on here did 394whp with gintani pump tune and proflex commander on a mustang dyno. I'm not bashing the e85 tunes, but from the data I've seen they're barely pushing 400whp (BARELY) with test pipes, underdrive pulley, intake scoops/drop in filter and a dedicated tune with higher timing targets. In my opinion having the proflex commander and using the flex capabilities is the most convenient, safe/reliable, and consistent. But the most power to be extracted from these cars (that I've seen) is a custom gintani e85 tune with locked timing.. that 5-10whp gain isn't worth finding the bare end limit of the motor.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
Dakar Bam
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...2#post21853279 this was 406whp, I've seen a few on Instagram hard to find stuff that's years old. I know user gzim335 on here did 394whp with gintani pump tune and proflex commander on a mustang dyno. I'm not bashing the e85 tunes, but from the data I've seen they're barely pushing 400whp (BARELY) with test pipes, underdrive pulley, intake scoops/drop in filter and a dedicated tune with higher timing targets. In my opinion having the proflex commander and using the flex capabilities is the most convenient, safe/reliable, and consistent. But the most power to be extracted from these cars (that I've seen) is a custom gintani e85 tune with locked timing.. that 5-10whp gain isn't worth finding the bare end limit of the motor.
can some1 explain to me locked timing? my thinking is a timing target of let's say 35° at 8000rpm but regardless off quality or other factors? like a racefile of some sort?
Appreciate 0