BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Exhaust set up feedback / suggestions

Hello,
I have been thinking about a less common exhaust option and wanted to ask the experts to weigh in. I want to pair a Fabspeed test pipes with 200 cel HFC, stock x-pipe (with second set of 200 cel HFC and resonators) and the MPE, which I already have installed. The idea is that I don’t want the rasp or sound level of test pipes without cats, or an x-pipe without cats. So essentially, I would be replacing the stock 400 cell Cats with 200 cel cats. I have yet to find anything like this on any forum or YouTube, so I wonder what the exhaust may sound with that setup.
I found these used on eBay... is this good deal, given that the brand new set is $2,300? I don’t see much talk about Fabspeed products on our forums, so anyone with expertise, please chime in. I would greatly appreciate it!

https://www.ebay.com/p/Fabspeed%2DSp...opick&thm=3000
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedA View Post
Hello,
I have been thinking about a less common exhaust option and wanted to ask the experts to weigh in. I want to pair a Fabspeed test pipes with 200 cel HFC, stock x-pipe (with second set of 200 cel HFC and resonators) and the MPE, which I already have installed. The idea is that I don’t want the rasp or sound level of test pipes without cats, or an x-pipe without cats. So essentially, I would be replacing the stock 400 cell Cats with 200 cel cats. I have yet to find anything like this on any forum or YouTube, so I wonder what the exhaust may sound with that setup.
I found these used on eBay... is this good deal, given that the brand new set is $2,300? I don’t see much talk about Fabspeed products on our forums, so anyone with expertise, please chime in. I would greatly appreciate it!

https://www.ebay.com/p/Fabspeed%2DSp...opick&thm=3000

I had these on my 2011 M3, I would pass. No matter how high you try and tuck them up they will rub on bad speed bumps and uneven driveways eventually destroying the expensive HJS cats. I bought them used from a forum member quite a few years ago and they had a few rub marks on them when I got them. Also, note the photos you can see the rub marks from them rubbing on the speed bumps and uneven streets as I mentioned earlier.

I am a little confused, you have the OEM xpipe with the rear cats and resonators? If so I would just do the test pipes.

Also, they are very expensive.

There is a reason why the OEM front cats are pancaked shaped...

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 02-03-2019 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
TedA47.50
      02-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I have two 200 cell cats and four resonators on mine. Not too loud but sounds great inside the cabin and blipping the throttle at low RPM's. It's paired with a sport euro spec (legal for road noise restrictions in Europe) supersprint. Dave is right mine catches sharp speed bumps some times. Tried to get you a pic of how it hangs exposed..
Attached Images

02-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I had these on my 2011 M3, I would pass. No matter how high you try and tuck them up they will rub on bad speed bumps and uneven driveways eventually destroying the expensive HJS cats. I bought them used from a forum member quite a few years ago and they had a few rub marks on them when I got them. Also, note the photos you can see the rub marks from them rubbing on the speed bumps and uneven streets as I mentioned earlier.

I am a little confused, you have the OEM xpipe with the rear cats and resonators? If so I would just do the test pipes.

Also, they are very expensive.

There is a reason why the OEM front cats are pancaked shaped...

Dave
Wow, I hadn’t even considered the shape of these previously!!! I looked at the evolve test pipes, but not sure I like the sound (as it appears on YouTube). I have never heard that setup in person.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I have two 200 cell cats and four resonators on mine. Not too loud but sounds great inside the cabin and blipping the throttle at low RPM's. It's paired with a sport euro spec (legal for road noise restrictions in Europe) supersprint. Dave is right mine catches sharp speed bumps some times. Tried to get you a pic of how it hangs exposed..
Thank you for sharing! Do you have any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for sharing! Do you have any sound clips?
I just did this real quick, doesn't really do it justice.. sounds more quiet in this vid then it really is but in California these days I think that is good. Car is tuned with cold start removed this is just revving cold up to 3k
View post on imgur.com
      02-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just did this real quick, doesn't really do it justice.. sounds more quiet in this vid then it really is but in California these days I think that is good. Car is tuned with cold start removed this is just revving cold up to 3k
View post on imgur.com
For some reason, it didn’t attach the audio file.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What X-Pipe is this?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What X-Pipe is this?
Sorry Ted missed your comment about the sound file, it didn't sound very good anyway with the phone microphone on the floor. The x pipe is actually a prototype built by turner motorsports, it was their final sport one that they decided not to put into production because of cost/competition. It's a very good fit with high quality welds but it's a one off..
      02-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Ted missed your comment about the sound file, it didn't sound very good anyway with the phone microphone on the floor. The x pipe is actually a prototype built by turner motorsports, it was their final sport one that they decided not to put into production because of cost/competition. It's a very good fit with high quality welds but it's a one off..
Thanks Sam!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #11
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
is that a quad resonated x pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quote:
is that a quad resonated x pipe?
Yep, yo dawg I heard you like resonators...
Attached Images

02-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Yep, yo dawg I heard you like resonators...
Appreciate 0