BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

06-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #67
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

You're not correct. I agree that Apple doesn't collect personal information to sell to advertisers (as I already posted), but that's not the same as collecting data for corporate use. Apple's own privacy policy makes this distinction:
Whether you’re taking a photo, asking Siri a question or getting directions, you can do it knowing that Apple doesn't gather your personal information to sell to advertisers or other organizations. (emphasis added)
At WWDC in 2016, Craig Federighi specifically acknowledged that collecting user information is crucial to making good software, especially in an age of big data analysis and machine learning.

From apple.com:
At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers.
Let's be clear, Apple shares its data with others without asking your explicit permission. While Google is more intrusive in terms of its business with its customers, it actually will not do this without explicit permission (anyone who has used a web app or a Android app that connects to a Google profile will have seen this in action).

This is a good roundup from Decentralize:https://decentralize.today/apple-vs-...r-a7022bd452b1

I tend to agree with the conclusion but prefer Microsoft to Google because MS doesn't scan email for keywords to direct advertising.

As usual, you have an irrational knee jerk reaction to any criticism of Apple. I am not being overly critical here ... I am fully conversant in what information I am sharing and understand how it will be used by Google, Microsoft, or Apple. I am challenging your assertion that Apple is any better ... they aren't (nor are they on balance any worse).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #68
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
You're not correct. I agree that Apple doesn't collect personal information to sell to advertisers (as I already posted), but that's not the same as collecting data for corporate use. Apple's own privacy policy makes this distinction:
Whether you’re taking a photo, asking Siri a question or getting directions, you can do it knowing that Apple doesn't gather your personal information to sell to advertisers or other organizations. (emphasis added)
At WWDC in 2016, Craig Federighi specifically acknowledged that collecting user information is crucial to making good software, especially in an age of big data analysis and machine learning.

From apple.com:
At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers.
Let's be clear, Apple shares its data with others without asking your explicit permission. While Google is more intrusive in terms of its business with its customers, it actually will not do this without explicit permission (anyone who has used a web app or a Android app that connects to a Google profile will have seen this in action).

This is a good roundup from Decentralize:https://decentralize.today/apple-vs-...r-a7022bd452b1

I tend to agree with the conclusion but prefer Microsoft to Google because MS doesn't scan email for keywords to direct advertising.

As usual, you have an irrational knee jerk reaction to any criticism of Apple. I am not being overly critical here ... I am fully conversant in what information I am sharing and understand how it will be used by Google, Microsoft, or Apple. I am challenging your assertion that Apple is any better ... they aren't (nor are they on balance any worse).
I'm just making the point they don't sell it or make money (or very little) from your personal data. This is markedly different from Google/Amazon. I'm not as familiar with MSFT because I only use their products at work and very little at home, but I'd imagine MSFT collects a fair bit.

Sounds like we are basically in agreement. I do think Apple is an unbelievable company and I do own quite a few shares, so I agree I'm biased.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 06-04-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #69
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I'm just making the point they don't sell it or make money (or very little) from your personal data. This is markedly different from Google/Amazon. I'm not as familiar with MSFT because I only use their products at work and very little at home, but I'd imagine MSFT collects a fair bit.

Sounds like we are basically in agreement. I do think Apple is an unbelievable company and I do own quite a few shares, so I agree I'm biased.
To this point, yes Apple have lots of data on their users, they know how you are using the product and which features you use the most. If you agree to allowing them to collect crash data they have this information as well. This is key to them making better products, and it not in their best interest to sell or share it with anyone else. They will share application specific information with developers which again lets developers make better products. Apple have to protect this information at all cost. If it got out their competitor could possibly use it to make a better product.

All the other companies collect information which turns into their product which they turn around and market to others so they can make money off your data and how you use or not use a product.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #70
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Honestly I'm still not convinced that collecting information is a bad thing. The whole facebook thing... what do I car if they know I like Hawaiian Pizza?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #71
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Honestly I'm still not convinced that collecting information is a bad thing. The whole facebook thing... what do I car if they know I like Hawaiian Pizza?
That's how it starts... next think you know, it listens to you... then it follows you and localizes you and then maybe it watches you?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #72
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
That's how it starts... next think you know, it listens to you... then it follows you and localizes you and then maybe it watches you?
Cool. Maybe they can target ads on me that actually fit my interests.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0