BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #67
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Yes I am on DLink now cheap and easy but would Nest when I move again.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #68
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Most every DVR/recorder has a mobile app interface, but they are really only intended to peek in from time to time. The user interface usually is clunky and the app will crash too often to use as a monitor for extended periods.
Are there any DVR mobile app interfaces that you find stand above the rest? I was not impressed with my Hikvision solution. It does the job, but it's clunky and not upto what people expect from software nowadays imo.
That describes literally every one I've used; and I've used a lot of them.
      06-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #69
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Are there any DVR mobile app interfaces that you find stand above the rest? I was not impressed with my Hikvision solution. It does the job, but it's clunky and not upto what people expect from software nowadays imo.
While the Hikvision mobile app does need some improvement, I find it's still pretty good as far as what I use it for. The fact I can pick and choose any of the cameras I have tied to my DVR or not and get live feed video along with audio (plus two way audio) makes it great for me. The app also allows me to zoom video footage, take still pictures, capture video, and access any video archived on my NVR is just icing on the cake.

As far as cloud based systems, never. In addition to the perpetual monetary costs of running such a system, you have to worry about your equipment being obsoleted or if the company of choice will be in business to maintain the cloud servers you depend on. And finally, we're all talking about security here. With systems like Nest being owned by Google, no thanks.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #70
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
While the Hikvision mobile app does need some improvement, I find it's still pretty good as far as what I use it for. The fact I can pick and choose any of the cameras I have tied to my DVR or not and get live feed video along with audio (plus two way audio) makes it great for me. The app also allows me to zoom video footage, take still pictures, capture video, and access any video archived on my NVR is just icing on the cake.
Yea that is what I mean by does the job but is clunky. The login is awkard and doesn't support Face/TouchID, when your session is timed out, it's not easy to figure out that is what happened and you need to go log back in, you can fart around trying to get things to work and it will give no error that your session is timed out and you need to log in.

Viewing archived footage is painful.

I agree with security and staying away from cloud based systems but understand there is a spot for them, just nothing something I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #71
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Has anyone ever had footage used that resulted in a prosecution or theft recovery?
Someone on a car group I follow on social media posted a vid just the other day of someone stealing his motorcycle out of his car port in the middle of the night. Since the cam was at a good angle and had strong IR, it captured indisputable evidence as to what the thief was wearing and his distinguishable characteristics.

After posting the vid on his local town FB page, the thief was identified in ~15 minutes and dude got his bike back before it could be sold for scrap, etc.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50