BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Just how different was the euro E92 exhaust?

I was browsing through links to ancient videos and I came across one from when the E92 first launched. Matt Davis of Winding Road took the car through Andalusia and had some fun. The exhaust sound really stood out for me. Watch the attached video and pay attention, especially around the 20 second mark, and again around 30 seconds:

The NEW 2008 BMW M3 / Winding Road

That car sounds as good or better than my car with stock X and Remus Race. Its deep and full of character, and it produces more sound at lower RPM than anything I've heard elsewhere. It reminds me of the Borla S from their video, but even better.

So... what is the difference? MPerformance muffler? The sound is too deep, and I don't recall that muffler even being offered in 2008. Even if it was the character is completely different. I doubt its the recording equipment. Matt Farah has produced some great videos of our car yet they lack the low down bass from the Winding Road video, even if the cars are modified. WR used equipment several generations older than Matt's HD and 4K cameras, so the bass should be worse not better.

My guess is that while Farah always used stock or modified US market cars, WR shot a European release car. Maybe the euro E92 M3 had a lower CPI cat up front, or perhaps only a single set of cats? I checked RealOEM however, and the parts look identical.

Was the audio "fixed in post"? Or maybe since the cameras of the day were so bad, WR used pro sound recording gear and mixed that with the crap video?
Appreciate 0