BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-29-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

How does E93 M3 Cabrio compare with the E92 M3 Coupe?

Orbiting around the possibility of adding a higher mileage E9x M3 to my fleet of cars to work on and enjoy.

Based in Europe, so prices are jolly fucked when compared to American or UK markets, and with current used car price inflation, even higher mileage M3’s are pretty expensive.

This said, as with all used BMWs in the long-run, the Cabrio variants always end up being 10-25% cheaper than comparable coupe or sedan variants.

In the case of fhe M3, the E93 I’m only finding cabrio variants for prices/mileage I might be interested in. So my question is, for those that have tried both, how does the E93 compare to the E92?

I know the E93 is 150-200kg (400 pounds heavier), uses different sway bars and is otherwise a worse performer in all metrics. But then again, I’m not planning on tracking the car, and I have plenty other cars to enjoy the twisties.

Aesthetically I prefer the Coupe, dream poster car vibe. Cabrio looks really good too but not as good. But the price/mileage ratio is significantly better. Also, exhausts are always muted in coupes, drop top would make you enjoy the sound more too. Power, a supercharger on an e93 would nullify that difference anyways.

But I’ve driven neither, just somewhat am familiar to E9x suspension through the 1M and know the interior from a E9x 330/335. Driven an E60 M5 for a hundred miles a long time ago too, which has similair wngine. Don’t have the clearest idea of what the general consensus is either.

Appreciate any input,
Cheers
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Here’s a comparison I did having owned an e93 and e90.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28701661

Would not purchase an e93 for the cost benefit. As they age you’re looking to replace around $4k US in rubber seals and rear glass and that won’t include any repairs to the top mechanism. I suspect this will make up for any cost savings up front.

I do think the e93 is a great car on its own right, hard to find a four seat convertible better. It is not a purpose built roadster but I wasn’t looking for that either.

If I did my e93 journey over I’d put my modification dollars toward an exhaust and a carbon fiber plenum.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 08:55 AM   #3
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 DCT, Impreza MT

Adding on a bit, and agreeing, with CamasM3e93. The E93 shouldn't be purchased as a comparison to the E92, it should be purchased on its own right. For me, it ticked the boxes in the vehicle I was looking for. There was already an SUV and manual hatchback in the garage, the family "needed" a performance 4-seat convertible at a reasonable price (granted, I got mine before the prices went crazy and it was in an accident).

I use it regularly as a true 4-seat convertible with many people (and my dogs) in the back seat enjoying driving around with the wind in your hair and S65 in your ear. No one has complained that it's too cramped or uncomfortable in the back after taking full days to drive around NorCal. 2-pipe mod, carbon fiber plenum, and a tune (with DCT tune) are really the only mods you need.

I agree with you too, that the E9X platform is still a looker, though I do love the lines of the E93 with the top down, and I rarely take it out without someone commenting.

Driving by myself, there is just the right amount of power to drive within a safe range of the legal limits. I looked at supercharging but I'd rather drive a "slow" car fast than have all that HP waiting in the wings. I already feel like the engine doesn't get a full workout the majority of the time I take the car out for a spin so I do try to get in a few track days per year. You mention you have other cars for this purpose though.

Agreed that there is a potential large bill looming on the horizon with the seals and mechanism on the top so I do plan to lube the seals according to the online guide this year to try and prolong their life. I will also be refreshing the suspension this year with coilovers now that Bilstein has supply in the US again.

Also, after clicking the link above to read up, it was only for the first post. Link to the full thread above: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28701661

Last edited by djschmitt; 01-29-2023 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933117.50
victo6.00