BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

03-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Shouldn't need to. Once caliper is pulled the rotor slides off over the studs.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
anyone know if bmw is going to give me a hard time when my front brakes are due? are they going to have to remove the studs to replace the rotors?
Some tire shops might not touch wheels with studs just fyi. I had an issue with Americas tire. They don't want to be liable if the studs are not torqued down properly when the car is dropped off.

I suggest calling smaller tire shops and asking if they will work on cars with stud conversions if you do need work done. Or if you can, remove the rims and bring them in another car, that's the best option.
      03-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #25
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i'm not so much worried about the wheels, it's bmw bitching about the studs when replacing my brakes under the free maintenance plan. i guess worst case scenario i could take the studs off the front and go in with bmw lugs just to get the new brakes and swap the studs back in.
      04-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #26
Greg S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT

I've used, installed, and uninstalled several brands(Turner/MSI, Vorshlag, every level of BW)of studs, the BimmerWorld premium race studs are still my favorite. They work well with my Assenmacher stud install/removal sockets, they have a shoulder which is the preferred method, they come with really good thread locker already on them, and of course they're bullet nose.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #27
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

I'm running an APEX stud kit. 2 years on them and so far so good.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
I'm running an APEX stud kit. 2 years on them and so far so good.
They are a wear item. If that's a track car change them.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #29
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Do you need to change OEM wheel bolts on an annual / bi-annual basis for the same reason?

Also, can anyone comment on experience with studs in climates with salt/snow. Any maintenance required over the winter?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #30
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
Do you need to change OEM wheel bolts on an annual / bi-annual basis for the same reason?

Also, can anyone comment on experience with studs in climates with salt/snow. Any maintenance required over the winter?
It's never a bad idea, especially on those vehicles in the rust-belt - especially on such a low-cost item.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #31
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post

No one does but for a track car I would change them as well probably. Never have had regular bolts on track car though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #32
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Not a dedicated track car, so no need to change them every season.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Not a dedicated track car, so no need to change them every season.
Agreed. I'm tending towards every 2 seasons for my track car with bimmerworld premium race studs.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #34
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I just installed the Tire Rack TPI studs on my car. Very high quality stud, zinc coated and has a hex section and a socket for installation. I really like the design. They are too thin for anything more than a 5-7mm spacer, though.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #35
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i found a thread on an e28 board where a guy was making titanium wheel studs/bolts. he was selling them and they offered some weight savings (not exactly sure how much), but i wouldn't run a non-torture tested stud. i'm not sure titanium would hold up, either.
I recently bought SCC wheel studs from Schmiedmann. Are these quality studs?
      12-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #36
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

kyrix1st, i don't know. they aren't a company i'm familiar with.

i recently revisited the idea of titanium wheel studs. i'm not going to say they are dangerous or don't work- they just won't be a good fit for me and here is why; you have to maintain proper thread lubrication to guard against galling. this could be tedious for a weekender like me. this adds time to my routine, and with routine sometimes comes complacency- and thats where problems start.
i also found that using power tools with titanium hardware theoretically causes more friction on the hardware and is more likely to cause galling. why is galling bad? it is about the same thing as friction welding, and it compromises the material. i don't know if using power tools just accelerates your maintenance interval or how often you have to apply mollybdenum paste (the lube).
i'm not interested in taking the time to apply mollybdenum to each stud and hand tightening each lugnut every time i change wheels/pads/etc..
also, titanium is stronger, but it gives much less of a warning when it gives up. it just breaks like glass. steel can actually stretch and deform (and actually still help hold).

take my above comments lightly, i'm not any kind of expert in the subject. i'm simply doing exploratory research and there are too many variables for comfort.
      12-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #37
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

sorry for being slightly off topic...

i'm not running stud yet but might convert at some point.

one thing i have always been curious about - from what i read studs are maintenance items and need to replaced every now and then. why the same isn't true for lug nuts and lug nuts don't have to be routinely replaced?
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #38
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
sorry for being slightly off topic...

i'm not running stud yet but might convert at some point.

one thing i have always been curious about - from what i read studs are maintenance items and need to replaced every now and then. why the same isn't true for lug nuts and lug nuts don't have to be routinely replaced?
I replace the lugs with the studs. However, I have never heard of a but breaking and a stud holding...
      12-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #39
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Studs have a certain number of torque cycles, don't think that's the case with lug bolts.
      12-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #40
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Studs have a certain number of torque cycles, don't think that's the case with lug bolts.
why is that? to someone naive like me, both of them are steel rods with threads on them...?
is that because for studs the pressure is distributed over fewer no of threads at the stud/lug nut contact surface, while lug bolts distribute the pressure over a larger contact surface between the bolts and the hub?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #41
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
why is that? to someone naive like me, both of them are steel rods with threads on them...?
is that because for studs the pressure is distributed over fewer no of threads at the stud/lug nut contact surface, while lug bolts distribute the pressure over a larger contact surface between the bolts and the hub?
I'm not an engineer, we are going to need one of those to help explain. I just know that I have spun a stud like butter torquing down a wheel from over cycling it or over torquing it. Haven't snapped a wheel bolt yet
      12-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #42
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
I personally think they both would fatigue over time and use at a similar rate. Studs are just something that is typically used by those who track and/or race their car. That type of use sees far more frequent wheel changes than the typical street user with one set of wheels. In other words it's more of a product of frequency of use than it is the inherent design. Think about it logically. A piece of hardware that is sitting there without being used is not going to wear out. A bolt that goes through many cycles of use will eventually wear out. Add on top of that the consequences of lug bolts failing - equals - reason to error on the side of caution.

In other words I would replace lug bolts just as frequently as studs if they were seeing the same type of use.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #43
m13s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90M3

had the Turner wheel studs fail at Road Atlanta this summer. Went back to ARP studs no problems with those.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #44
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
had the Turner wheel studs fail at Road Atlanta this summer. Went back to ARP studs no problems with those.
Turner sells 2 or 3 versions. Do you know which one you had? One has an Allen head, another is from MSI and is a bullet nose, and I think they also have a fully threaded version
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0