BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-30-2022, 01:13 PM   #23
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Nice to see you post, I think I recall seeing you at track on 11/25. Was that you? We most have been in a different run group. I was on the blue e92 parked in front of the garage you guys had. Really nice build.

I like the gt4 style lip you have. do you recall the brand. it seemed much bigger than mine. Please share.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:27 PM   #24
davidato
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Nice to see you post, I think I recall seeing you at track on 11/25. Was that you? We most have been in a different run group. I was on the blue e92 parked in front of the garage you guys had. Really nice build.

I like the gt4 style lip you have. do you recall the brand. it seemed much bigger than mine. Please share.
Oh yeah that was definitely us! I was in the slow point by group haha. I always wanted a blue e92 so ur car I was drooling over! Unfortunately I don’t know what lip this is since it came on the car when we purchased it. ABSAutobody probably does have GT4 long duct lips available!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tlrid3r513.50
      11-30-2022, 11:02 PM   #25
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Cool. I'll hit up ABS. Usually I come out with some friends but we couldn't align our schedules. Glad you had a good time.
I did as well
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #26
davidato
Private
Rep

We went back to Buttonwillow on the 11th. With rain forecasted, it seemed like everyone sold their spot, especially in advanced group where there were only ~4 cars. Nevertheless, we still went, but with low expectations for PB and just for fun. Fun it was, with a side of a small PB. The first session or two wasn’t too bad in regards to traffic, besides a couple “faster” cars who refused to move over for 3-4 laps. Ongrid refused to move me up, so I just went to the pits 10 mins before my sessions started just to start first. It worked! No traffic for almost the entire session. Could do a cool down lap and the rest of the pack still wouldn’t catch up. Bliss.

Now to the sad news. Regardless of traffic I was only able to beat my old time by 1 second. It is to be believed that these tires I got used are on their way out, but that’s just an excuse I tell myself. “PB” season is almost over here in SoCal, and there’s a good list of disposable maintenance to do such as rotors pads and tires. Maybe we’ll do 1 more track day, but it’s almost time to put away the car for track season. The off-season we will install/replace some exciting parts! I look forward to it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 06:56 AM   #27
davidato
Private
Rep

Dang it’s been a while, and quite a bit has changed both mechanically and visually. I guess we can start in chronological order.

Wheels. As much as I loved the classic jdm Mag Blue TE37’S I always originally planned to get them in formula silver. I think it fitted this car/color better. Luckily I was able to secure a set in 18x10 +25 and decided to try out a more endurance/consistent tire: Kumho V730. Will have to report back on how these stack up to older RT660.

Brakes. While there wasn’t anything inherently wrong with these Brembo GT380, it always bothered me with how little clearance it had with the inner barrel of 18 inch wheels. The Mag Blue set were getting chewed up and I really didn’t want to chew up these sets, especially since they’re getting discontinued. So, I decided to take the dive and sell both pairs of Brembos in exchange for a front set of AP 9668 fronts from OGShark. Stocks were used for the rear. Both axles will be using Ferrodo DS1.11.

Exhaust. Eisenmann race with resonated test pipes did sound pretty good, but it was never the end goal exhaust setup, and I tend to be pretty picky when it comes to that. Personally, I’ve always leaned towards note/tone over volume so a setup that included Akrapovic was my best bet. I decided to go with an Akra rear section paired with a forward-X pipe I commissioned to have done for me, quad resonated. I’m pretty satisfied with this setup so far!

Maintenance. Boring stuff really. Replaced the center driveline support bearing and guibo. Replaced power steering reservoir with 1M unit. Replaced air intake filter. Going to try out Motul 8100 over redline, per Facebook track group recommendations.

Suspension. While I didn’t have a huge problem with how the KW V3 handled on track, and I absolutely loved them on the street, they were getting long in the tooth if what the previous owner told me is true. I did want to get a set of coilovers where I have room to grow into so I don’t have to keep switching them out. I originally was going to go with the popular MCS 1WNR but a couple of my friends way faster than me recommended to try out Shaftworks. They’re a company located very local to me that clearly has a way deeper understanding than me on how to set up suspension and what to look for in a set. If people I look up to/trust recommend me this pathway, I can’t really say no. I’ll see how these do. These are a pretty fresh install, as in 3 days ago so I don’t have much feedback other than they’re surprisingly still comfortable despite almost tripling the spring rates of kw’s. I also decided to replace the front lower control arm bushing to bimmerworld’s monoball bushing.

I think that’s about it for now! I did buy a set of bimmerworld’s solid subframe bushings but did not have the time to squeeze them in during the coilover install so they’ll have to wait. I also want to get a new front lip as the one I got the car with is starting to show signs of getting battle scars. It’s kind of hard finding good looking/slightly functional authentic lips these days as the good stuff are mostly disconintued but there’s some joy in the hunt. I also want to refresh my headlights as my driver side is starting to condensate.

Side note: Been having this pinging/ticking sound under medium load between 2-4k rpm after installing the forward X pipe. I am aware this is pretty normal depending on the tune. Currently tuned with alpine but if we can’t figure it out will be switching to epic.

Cheers!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Jon H391.50
redpriest2147.00