BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-02-2024, 08:23 AM   #1
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Need Exhaust Advice to Reduce Rasp and Drone

All,

After about 4 years of driving and living with the Armytrix exhaust I have finally decided I want to tone it back a hair. I absolutely love the sound of the exhaust at idol and full throttle but everything in between is just a very loud raspy droney sound that leaves much to be desired and the drone can be unbearable at low rpm. With the valves closed it doesn’t sound good like the stock exhaust it just sounds like quiet rasp. Im also not supposed to be driving with the valves closed due to my supercharger kit as I have been warned but the manufacturer that it will mess with the adaptation. Im willing to try a whole new setup or really anything in between so long as I am confident that it will do what I am looking for. Im hopeful to find someone who knows exhaust setups on here that can help me out

What I like:
-Loud, I want it to remain as loud as possible given the other conditions
-Loud idol
-great tone overall that just sounds good like something you would want to listen to all day all all rpm and throttle %
-high flow

What I want to avoid:
-Mid rpm and throttle rasp
-Mid rpm and throttle drone

What Ive considered so far:
- adding resonators to the Armytrix x pipe, but not sure if I wanna go this route and cut up those expensive pipes. Maybe buying a cheaper xpipe or stock pipe to do something cutting on.
- Adding a whole new much quieter exhaust then welding in cutouts (probably not a great idea given that it will change exhaust flow and could mess with adaptation for the supercharger

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Joshbot007; 02-02-2024 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 01:32 PM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

am I correct that the Armytrix exhaust is full catless without x-pipe resonators?

This might be a case of "You CANT have your cake and eat it too." Catless = rasp and loud exhausts. There is no way around that other than to start adding resonators (in pairs) to the Armytrix x-pipe in the three typical locations (OEM primary cat, secondary cat, resonator locations) and see what you get with one set, then go to two sets if you arent happy, etc.... You will reduce rasp and drone to a certain extent, but you will also reduce sound volume.

The other option to reduce both drone AND rasp is to change the rear mufflers to either a Corsa or Dinan setup. Both of those exhausts are the king of lowering drone/rasp due to their designs using Helmholtz resonance chambers. These mufflers are more on the quieter side E9x muffler options, but are still quite loud with no cats.

I LOVE my Corsa exhaust with the primary cats removed. It's loud at WOT but sounds great and still decently loud driving around town.
      02-03-2024, 09:32 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

A cheaper alternative to try first.

This may be a placebo but I've wrapped my exhausts with heat wrap, from the back end of the muffler up to my test pipes.
I'm on Rogue Engineering test pipes, OEM x-pipe deleted 2ndart cat and resonators, iPE valved muffler
It has taken out a subjective distinct rasp/metal sound at any RPM.
Appreciate 2
DRLane3988.50
a5m612.50
      02-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #4
Valvetronic Designs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

our new setup with quad resonators will solve the problem for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:36 PM   #5
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
quad resonators is a must
      02-07-2024, 09:22 AM   #6
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I had this set up and then switched to BW x pipe and quad resonated it. That isn't what you're looking for. Get some quality HFC cats and 2 vibrant 18" resonators. Quad resi will make it better but not much so you will want to do HFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
A cheaper alternative to try first.

This may be a placebo but I've wrapped my exhausts with heat wrap, from the back end of the muffler up to my test pipes.
I'm on Rogue Engineering test pipes, OEM x-pipe deleted 2ndart cat and resonators, iPE valved muffler
It has taken out a subjective distinct rasp/metal sound at any RPM.
Wrap can reduce the higher pitched noises but does nothing for lower pitched drone

Last edited by nycplumber; 02-07-2024 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
Route 16843.50
      02-18-2024, 07:33 PM   #7
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes Armytrix is full cat less without resonators.

I’ve considered the corsa exhaust.

Considering adding resonators as some of the posts here have suggested. Im thinking I would like to stay away from cats for maximum flow with the supercharger. If resonators can cut down on the rasp and drone enough to where the car sounds good id be happy.

Again my main gripe with my current setup is that is so raspy and droney at lower rpm that the car sounds really bad honestly unless you’re pushing it hard, making lower rpm and throttle positions (such as around town or tight windy backroads) sound quite bad which I feel is a shame as I know these cars can sound so good
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:40 AM   #8
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbot007 View Post
Yes Armytrix is full cat less without resonators.

I’ve considered the corsa exhaust.

Considering adding resonators as some of the posts here have suggested. Im thinking I would like to stay away from cats for maximum flow with the supercharger. If resonators can cut down on the rasp and drone enough to where the car sounds good id be happy.

Again my main gripe with my current setup is that is so raspy and droney at lower rpm that the car sounds really bad honestly unless you’re pushing it hard, making lower rpm and throttle positions (such as around town or tight windy backroads) sound quite bad which I feel is a shame as I know these cars can sound so good
Running catless x pipe + quads + AM axle back = Zero rasp/drone

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 12:02 PM   #9
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

just add 16in dual resonators and you'll be golden.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 02:06 PM   #10
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone tried the Valvetronic quad resonated X-pipe? I am considering trying that one as it seems to be a good option at a decent price.
Appreciate 0