BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

09-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #23
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I can't deny the sheer power of the C63 and it also just sounds a lot better. Unfortunately, I had to put my wife and grocery getting/child carrying duties into the equation. I can't say I "lost out" because M3 is a great car and so is the C63, it all depends what you are looking for and what you don't mind overlooking.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #24
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Hans,

I haven't driven the C63 as yet so this question might sound dumb to those who have or own one but how does it cope with the power it already has?

I just find it absurd to add another 90hp at the wheels without a proper LSD, and even then the torque is sure to take a jump as well. Are you just going to end up with a car which has a dancing ESP light every time you happen to be a little heavy of the old right foot, meaning all that hard work and money invested in the software mods being quelled by the traction control system until it's arrived at a speed which all of the beans can be used to the full (i.e. well above the speed limit).

What a waste if true.
Well, just like the M3, if you floor a stock C63 at a standstill it will spin the tires. If you floor it from a roll, under the right conditions, you will also get a bit of wheelspin. The C63 is no different from an M3 or any other high-HP car. You have to work the throttle "just right" to optimize your traction. Where I feel the C63 can benefit from the software is in passing at say 50-80mph, freeway speeds, under full throttle. As it is now, the car's acceleration under those conditions is very fast and shoves you back, but it is not strikingly brutal. It doesn't feel like my old C5 Z06 did under those conditions... it is just too heavy. It does rocket forward on kickdown, but I want even MORE shove! According to people who have the Kleemann software, that is exactly where they report getting a noticable benefit. Freeway passing.

It's probably impossible to spin the tires on the freeway at 55mph, but it would be nice to have that option

As far as the car's ESP system. If I'm going to be driving fast, I switch it to sport mode. It will let the tires spin and you can power out of corners without ESP intruding.. but, it still can cut in on hard acceleration. If I really want to launch, I switch it off completely. It's best to modulate the throttle for traction yourself IMO. Then again, I'm not a drag racer and not planning on getting into it!
      09-06-2008, 04:48 AM   #25
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Hans,

I haven't driven the C63 as yet so this question might sound dumb to those who have or own one but how does it cope with the power it already has?

I just find it absurd to add another 90hp at the wheels without a proper LSD, and even then the torque is sure to take a jump as well. Are you just going to end up with a car which has a dancing ESP light every time you happen to be a little heavy of the old right foot, meaning all that hard work and money invested in the software mods being quelled by the traction control system until it's arrived at a speed which all of the beans can be used to the full (i.e. well above the speed limit).

What a waste if true.
The 2009 models have the optional "performance package", which includes a LSD.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #26
Great White
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 DCT AW/PS

Garage List
2000 M5 E39  [10.00]
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
2002 318i Compact  [0.00]
Very nice write up. Thank you.
I came to the same conclusion as you did. Never B4 has an AMG come so close to an M in comparison and if BMW M doesn´t watch out they´ll only be seeing the rear ends of the future AMGs.
I had the privelege of being invited to AMG & test the new C63. Brutal acceleration on a straight line but for curves ?? The car was definatley built for the Autobahn & nothing more ( ok for showing off too but what car in that price range isn´t )
Still I ordered my M3 Coupé DKG because I do NOT like a sedan in that size. They´re just too bulky.
The M3 also offers a great trunk space & if you fold the seats to the front you can even get a grandfather clock inside !
But honestly -> the car is for the track & having fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #27
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
The 2009 models have the optional "performance package", which includes a LSD.
I personally don't think an LSD will make a big difference in normal street driving (including full throttle), based on a measurement of how quickly a car gets from here to way over there. The electronic nannies built into the system are pretty damned effective on the street. Unless things go seriously out of whack very quickly indeed (such as hitting a patch of ice under full throttle), Plan B (meaning killing engine power) will not be invoked, and individual wheel braking is pretty efficient.

Unless you're a complete nutball (anyone? anyone?), whacking it to WOT while rounding a corner is not a normal street move. I must admit it's a great nutball move, though.

Bruce
Appreciate 0