BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

Replacing Head unit?

I have searched the forum and found much useful information. I really want to replace my head unit with as few issues as possible. I have base audio, which I have upgraded with 2 pdx 4.100, one for the fronts and rears and one bridged for the subs which I have replaced with sws-8s. I want to use replace it with the jvc kdavx-77. My main issue is I do not have Ipod option and I like this as the best after market option. I have a small other issue with the oem headunit that probably could be solved another way, but this would take care of as well. I know that relocating the head unit to the trunk and that using metra parts 70-9003 and 71-9003 are needed to relocate the head unit. I also know that swi-can2 and swi-jack are needed to retain steering wheel control. I believe that I have seen I would also need a fiber optic extension cable to avoid an sos error. I would like some input or info on how to make this work with the least amount of trouble. I do not care about the chimes and the sos/bmw assist could go as weel, so I am curious if getting the car programmed as no radio is an option. Any help or information would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
I have searched the forum and found much useful information. I really want to replace my head unit with as few issues as possible. I have base audio, which I have upgraded with 2 pdx 4.100, one for the fronts and rears and one bridged for the subs which I have replaced with sws-8s. I want to use replace it with the jvc kdavx-77. My main issue is I do not have Ipod option and I like this as the best after market option. I have a small other issue with the oem headunit that probably could be solved another way, but this would take care of as well. I know that relocating the head unit to the trunk and that using metra parts 70-9003 and 71-9003 are needed to relocate the head unit. I also know that swi-can2 and swi-jack are needed to retain steering wheel control. I believe that I have seen I would also need a fiber optic extension cable to avoid an sos error. I would like some input or info on how to make this work with the least amount of trouble. I do not care about the chimes and the sos/bmw assist could go as weel, so I am curious if getting the car programmed as no radio is an option. Any help or information would be appreciated.
Contact forum member Patrys (vendor) to have your car coded for no Assist and no MOST devices, so you can just yank the OEM HU out and install your aftermarket unit without a MOST error in the instrument panel. No need to relocate the OEM HU.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks again Technic. I attempted to contact Patrys but I have received no reply. So can the dealership program it this way and also would it still be able to receive any updates from bmw or would that be it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks again Technic. I attempted to contact Patrys but I have received no reply. So can the dealership program it this way and also would it still be able to receive any updates from bmw or would that be it?
If you are still interested please send me your VIN at info@modyfikacjebmw.pl

Thanks,
Patryk
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Post a pic after you get the work done. It's going to look interesting in the dash.
      11-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I will if I can resolve the issues. I am convinced it will look really good. I may wrap the metra adapter in carbon leather. I may go back to the idea of relocating the headunit, as programming seems to be more difficult than relocating. I saw a fiber optic extension that was $30 or $40 and besides the other adapters I already planned on, that seems to be the best route.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Was at the dealer and inquired about programming for removal of all MOST devices. My SA said he did not think he could do that as it required a change to the certificate or order or something on the vehicle and they were not authorized. He also said it would disable many other things, referring to the other computer functions. From what I know from the functionality point is it will disable all media related functions. Bluetooth, Siri, Radio and Nav(if I had it). All other vehicle related info should function fine. And if all that is true is there anyone that knows if BMW service can do this? I would to be able to return for diagnostics if needed in the future.
I did contact Patrys first but no guarantee it will work with my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

SOS error. I just had the head unit replaced and had all the parts, fiber optic extensions etc and still have the SOS error. I was in a bit of a hurry and can go back to have it looked at but want to try to trouble shoot it first. The head unit is in the trunk and I checked to see that it was connected properly. I pulled one of the fiber optic extensions out and saw the red flash. Plugged it back in and saw that it made it all the way through to the other extension, which I also plugged back in. Still the error. What should I check next??
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
SOS error. I just had the head unit replaced and had all the parts, fiber optic extensions etc and still have the SOS error. I was in a bit of a hurry and can go back to have it looked at but want to try to trouble shoot it first. The head unit is in the trunk and I checked to see that it was connected properly. I pulled one of the fiber optic extensions out and saw the red flash. Plugged it back in and saw that it made it all the way through to the other extension, which I also plugged back in. Still the error. What should I check next??
Your fiber optic cable to the OEM HU is not completing the MOST ring somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah. i guess pull everything check connections. i ASSumed if you could see it coming through when checking the connections at the head unit then it was a good ring. just making sure nothing else mis connected could cause this. or any other way to test. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had everything checked and rechecked. The fiber optic is definitely completing the ring. I can see the light make it through and all connections have been verified. Is it a fault code that would need to be cleared by dealer once it has been thrown?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I had everything checked and rechecked. The fiber optic is definitely completing the ring. I can see the light make it through and all connections have been verified. Is it a fault code that would need to be cleared by dealer once it has been thrown?
I had a SOS error once due to starting the car up without the MOST ring completed, but it cleared itself up after the ring was completed.

Is your Assist/Bluetooth working?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am using the bluetooth from the new head unit. There is no microphone connected to the head unit in the trunk. It shows as available on my phone, I will test connections and pairing to see if it works. I have searched the forum and found references to possibly resetting the TCU?? Also, when attempting to change the gong volume, it gave an unavailable error. I have the speaker connected as in one of the links and have a very low gong volume from the speaker under the steering wheel. I don't care about the volume, just wondering if that might be an indicator as to what the problem may be. All other other vehicle info was there last time I checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Damn. I found the problem. Sorry to have wasted your time technic. I also did the sirius delete which I found on here and had a fiber ring installed so the sat radio would not show as an option. I figured I would pull things apart and look and noticed in the fiber ring from the sirius unit a steady light and a flashing light from the fiber cable going in. Thought I would give it a shot and it fixed it. I appreciate the help, I think the I will be able to solve the reset issue with power. If not I will be back.. Thanks again...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Damn. I found the problem. Sorry to have wasted your time technic. I also did the sirius delete which I found on here and had a fiber ring installed so the sat radio would not show as an option. I figured I would pull things apart and look and noticed in the fiber ring from the sirius unit a steady light and a flashing light from the fiber cable going in. Thought I would give it a shot and it fixed it. I appreciate the help, I think the I will be able to solve the reset issue with power. If not I will be back.. Thanks again...
So the ring was actually broken there? Good find...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yep. Seems strange, no error with OEM head unit and fiber ring, it simply removed sat radio as an option, then when the extensions were added it gave an error. I guess maybe it was just too far with the extensions?? Anyway thanks for the help and I am quite impressed with the sound on the avx77 combined with the alpine pdxs. It will take a while to get it tuned right, but so far it has added a great deal of detail to everything.
Appreciate 0