BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #133
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
anything you say about the GTR.. i gotta take for what its worth...... which is not much... since uve never even seen one.. and ive drivin one...

You were just stating alot of assumptions and you really dont even know the car....

im just tired of people talking about it when they dont know anything about it...

obviously im a huge GTR fan.... Jap and German fan to be honest.....

i own now and will most likely own 1 car from Jap and Euro for the rest of my life.... they both are great... but sometimes Jap just doesnt get credit when its Due...
Many people have yet to drive a GTR, merely due to the fact they haven't arrived at most US dealers yet...

But, the point I think Ersin is trying to get across, is that every review, in some manner, has stated that the GTR 'feels' very automated when driving, many reviews have stated a 'similar to Gran Turismo' video game like feel, and Top Gear even stated it is so easy to drive 'your Grandma could do it' as well as having a stiff ride...

Now, I'm not sure how long you were able to drive the GTR, or where exactly, but the reviewers got to track and run the hell out of it, many on some of the best tracks in the world. Thus their reviews, while subjective (except performance), are all inclusive of what characteristics the GTR possesses...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #134
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

i got to drive it alone for about 20min.... though some corners and 140+mph pulls....

i got the feel of the car.. and drove it hard.... like i said.. even slid it around....

the car is easy to make go fast..... as most awd cars are....

i felt connected to the road... and didnt feel as if the car was driving itself.. for a awd car.. as its in rwd mode most... if your familiar with Nissans awd system....

its not exactly All Wheel Drive-its-self like a Evo or STi...

Last edited by KINGLEH; 06-04-2008 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #135
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
i got to drive it alone for about 20min.... though some corners and 140+mph pulls....

i got the feel of the car.. and drove it hard.... like i said.. even slid it around....

the car is easy to make go fast..... as most tuned awd cars are....

i felt connected to the road... and didnt feel as if the car was driving itself.. for a awd car.. as its in rwd mode most... if your failure with Nissans awd system....

wow lucky you, buddy of mine, ordered one 10k over msrp, havn't even driven one yet, any that comes in is already sold, he's going soley based on mag reviews and how the car looks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #136
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfisher View Post
wow lucky you, buddy of mine, ordered one 10k over msrp, havn't even driven one yet, any that comes in is already sold, he's going soley based on mag reviews and how the car looks.

he wont be disappointed.....

i think ive drivin just about every jap performance car....

its in another league..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #137
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Much of the point of AWD is indeed to make the car more dummy proof and easier to drive. The Evo and GT-R share a similarly advanced AWD system. Sure the GT-R is a bit more sophisticated but the Evo is a darn sophisticated system itself. To call them totally in a different league is simply incorrect. The cars yes, their respective AWD systems, no.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #138
wgf77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I have not read the article, but honestly the 911 turbo costs 2x as much as the M3. I mean you can buy a GTR and a M3 for the asking price of the 911 turbo. There is not way in hell the Turbo is worth combined price of M3 + GTR. There is a reason whey Porsche was making the most profit per car. $127K for a base 911 turbo.

2x the cost (if they can get it) is great for Porsche not so great for real world comparison.

I would much rather have the Turbo than the GTR AND M3...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #139
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Much of the point of AWD is indeed to make the car more dummy proof and easier to drive. The Evo and GT-R share a similarly advanced AWD system. Sure the GT-R is a bit more sophisticated but the Evo is a darn sophisticated system itself. To call them totally in a different league is simply incorrect. The cars yes, their respective AWD systems, no.

r u kidding.....

the Evo 8 and 9 systems are FWD systems........ then add to the rear.. with very Limited change.... they are junk....

as the GTR systems in the past can easily go full RWD and do during normal driving... as the R35 is 98 rear 2% front.....

an STi awd system is way more closer to a GTR then a Evo in driving FEEL and MECHANICS because of its rear wheel biased setup and driver controllable configurations...

not this
"sno" (mostly fwd)
"graval" (kinda fwd)..... and
"tarmac" (ok here u go rear)

crap......

and comparing a R34 system of 2000 and a EVO system from the year 2000.... they are in totally dif leagues.... as well as the new systems in their cars of today
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #140
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Much of the point of AWD is indeed to make the car more dummy proof and easier to drive.

and i disagree on this too..

the point of a AWD system is to get results down on paper... ultimately RWD is best... but on street tires on the street.... AWD is a little superior in everyday activity's....

or if your like Mitsu or Subaru to go race the WRC...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #141
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
and i disagree on this too..

the point of a AWD system is to get results down on paper... ultimately RWD is best... but on street tires on the street.... AWD is a little superior in everyday activity's....

or if your like Mitsu or Subaru to go race the WRC...
AWD is clearly more important when the wheels CAN break loose and this is at take offs and low speed. Clearly the combination of AWD, LC and DCT make the GT-R a 0-60 rocket.

Why don't road race cars use AWD? Power to the front wheels would reduce the amount of their ultimate grip level that can be applied to create the maximum cornering load. This is one big part. The other is that at most track speeds, on straights, most RWD cars simply don't have enough power to spin the wheels at will. Of course weight and complexity and drive train losses play a role as well.

IMHO RWD > AWD in most circumstances that matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #142
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

rite......... RWD works better for road race cars for sure.....

but like i said.. Street cars...... a good AWD system is very helpful... as you can tell by many top level street cars running it.... GTR.. Veyron... 997 TT.... Lambo Murci and Galardo..... audi R8..... Alot of the best car companies chose the AWD system....

im more of a RWD guy myself.. but to get numbers down on paper.. AWD is best....

RWD is much more of a drivers setup......
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #143
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
anything you say about the GTR.. i gotta take for what its worth...... which is not much... since uve never even seen one.. and ive drivin one...

You were just stating alot of assumptions and you really dont even know the car....

im just tired of people talking about it when they dont know anything about it...

obviously im a huge GTR fan.... Jap and German fan to be honest.....

i own now and will most likely own 1 car from Jap and Euro for the rest of my life.... they both are great... but sometimes Jap just doesnt get credit when its Due...
It's not about what I know or say about the GT-R, it's what the article says. There were no assumptions on my part and I didn't state anything I didn't know or what wasn't reported. The article said the M3 was more fun and you even echoed that. Look at the numbers and you can see the M3 has more room. Your initial post said the opposite and I was pointing that out.

I'm not dissing the GT-R. I give it a lot of credit and would have no problems taking a GT-R (well maybe one) but I won't get one because they're probably all spoken for this year, probably next, and I will not pay the "market adjustment" that the dealers want. I do agree that the GT-R has performance up there with the best of 'em, and would beat the M3 on the straights or curves.