BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #243
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Before I decide to throw money for Black chrome side gilles, I ended up using some gloss black wrap to the gilles to see how it looked.

The result is definitely acceptable for now. Let's see how long this will survive before I cave and buy new ones.

Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 4
donut_boi997.50
94jedi829.00
ItsGary1456.50
Johnny2501029.00
      03-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #244
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

# Update: 2019-03-08
After coding Variable Light Distribution (VLD) to my wife's F87, I started to wonder if E9x was capable of something like this since we also have Adaptive Headlights (AHL). Turns outs, we have something similar that is also disabled in the US (Thanks DOT!) called Adaptive Headlight II.

# Adaptive Headlight II
The headlights utilized the motors to move on both the X-Y axis and X-Z axis. This allows for both left/right adjustments as well as up/down leveling. With AHL2, the headlights can have different presets for different conditions.

This pic helps sum out the output of the headlights during 6 different things.

1. Basic: Normal parallel conditions that the US gets.
2. Low speed/City: Driver light aims to the left and both lights slightly lower for better visibility for potholes without blinding folks in the city.
3. Guiding fog light: M3 doesn't have fogs so this doesn't pertain to E9xM.
4. Highway speeds: Headlights stay parallel but aim a little higher for further distance.
5. Adaptive headlights: Headlights following steering wheel input. This is the default for US.
6. Corner lights: This is already enabled for our inner headlight light when we have our turn signals/steering wheel turned at low speeds.

So what do I have to do to get it?
It turns out to be really simple.

# FRM Module
Code:
AHL2_Enable = aktiv

That's it! I'll have to test this.

For more reference, here is the awesome thread I found from 2013.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843765

Random pic:

Last edited by derbo; 03-09-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 3
CSBM52695.50
wfdeacon881102.50
      03-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #245
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Big if true. Report back!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #246
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Big if true. Report back!
The E82, E90 non-Ms all report it working fine in the USA based on last night's randomly hunting on the forums, "research".

The long story short, all it does is dynamically adjust the headlights based on speed in addition to adapting to steering and leveling. We don't have the camera like the E60s for the high beam assist setup.

I won't be able to get to this till maybe next weekend. Next weekend I'll be doing some prep work for the car to get ready for Laguna Seca 4/20/18 Saturday. The list is not too long, PFC08s, Bimmerworld SS lines, Castrol SRF Brake fluid, Diff and Transmission fluid flush.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      03-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #247
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

wyatth, sounds like an M3 will take the coding!

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...9&postcount=78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Well this turned out to be MUCH easier (and more obvious!) than I would have expected given that it's remained a mystery this long. I found someone who offers paid coding and lists AHL2 activation among his options. I emailed him explaining that I was already a fairly experienced coder but couldn't find out how to enable this one feature or even whether it was possible for my car, and told him that if he offers remote coding I would pay him for this single feature. He generously replied back just telling me how to enable it!

There are no VO changes required. The setting is in the NFRM module, and its super-secret name to disguise it from everyone is...."AHL2_ENABLE". You just have to set that to "aktiv". My M3 now behaves exactly like the video in this thread.

I'm thinking this setting gets defaulted to enabled or disabled appropriately by region because the car's model code in the VO is different based on region; for example, my M3's model code is KG93, which I believe means "US-spec left-hand drive M3 Coupe".
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1456.50
      03-18-2019, 02:03 AM   #248
blk rex wagon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 e46 m3, 2011 e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
The E82, E90 non-Ms all report it working fine in the USA based on last night's randomly hunting on the forums, "research".

The long story short, all it does is dynamically adjust the headlights based on speed in addition to adapting to steering and leveling. We don't have the camera like the E60s for the high beam assist setup.

I won't be able to get to this till maybe next weekend. Next weekend I'll be doing some prep work for the car to get ready for Laguna Seca 4/20/18 Saturday. The list is not too long, PFC08s, Bimmerworld SS lines, Castrol SRF Brake fluid, Diff and Transmission fluid flush.
Patiently waiting for your confirmation.. if so i'll be meeting you to do this to my e90 as well.. its Will btw
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      03-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #249
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

# BMW's missing power outlet
For whatever reason, BMW decided that E90s with smoker package cars do not get the extra power outlet underneath the glovebox post-2010. Since I really liked that location for a power outlet, I started to look at my options on how to do this. After some research, I decided to relocate the existing ashtray power outlet and replace the ashtray with a spectacles tray. Removal of the ashtray was simple but the removal of the power outlet was a pain in the arse! Ripping off the plastic piece around it, I was able to relocate it to the rear. I even retained the LED that lit the ashtray to make the LED power outlet glow.

There were a few optional trays for the E90: open storage tray, spectacles tray with cover, ashtray with cover, and euro business cards with cover. I opted to the storage tray so it could utilize the old leather cover. With the relocation of the power outlet, this was a perfect solution to provide better storage.

The tray is definitely a much better option for usable space in that area.

# Maintenance/Prep
Yesterday I decided to do some maintenance and prep for Laguna Seca on 4/20/18.
  1. Bimmerworld stainless steel brake lines
  2. PFC08 Brake pads
  3. New OE Rotors
  4. Transmission fluid flush
  5. Differential fluid flush

First and foremost, I have to say. The inner rear brake lines are 100% a bitch. The lack of space in-between the subframe and the white hose in the way made for a hell of a time removing them. On top of that, there was minor surface rust on the brake line nut because it was an East Coast car. This didn't help the 11mm wrench to grab the nut and extended my work on the rear lines for far too long. After that was tackled, the rest of the items were pretty straight forward.

After cleanup, I went on a test drive to bed in the brakes on new rotors. I did a process of 10 60mph-5mph stops with cool down with a repeat 10 60-5mph stops with a final cool down. The cross hatching on the rotor surface from the factory are now gone. It also makes a perfectly clean BBS go to this:

The PFC08 brake pads squeal like a pig on the streets but since I'm prepping for a track day, this is fine for now. After the track day, I'm debating if I want to buy PFC Z-Rated or go back to OE stock pads for the street. I don't think it will matter too much and I already have brand new OE pads sitting in inventory. I'm pretty sure the OE pads are compatible or if not, the PFC08 is aggressive enough to clean the rotors properly for street pads to be bedded in.

# Coding
In a previous post, I mentioned "finding" adaptive headlights II and it was just a simple coding parameter to get it to work. This weekend, I coded AHL2 to a friend's 2009 E90 and he reported the headlights do swivel based on speed. This confirms it works on M3s as well as non-M E90s. I have not been able to verify it on my own car as I did not drive it at night yet. I did see the headlight adjust itself wider when it was in Auto and it was stationary. Also I moved back to halogen angel eyes so I upped the voltage to 13.7V in NCSexpert to keep it brighter and whiter.

A very eventful Sunday to say the least. Till next time.
Appreciate 3
      03-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #250
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Nice touch on that power relocation!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #251
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Nice touch on that power relocation!
With the power outlet relocated, the middle storage is larger and can almost fit an iPhone Xs flat down. That is plenty of room for whatever I might end up tossing there and has the ability to close the cover like the ashtray. It's a good buy for $31!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #252
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Is the tray hard plastic or soft plastic? That is a good solution and a nice place to hide things if it doesn't rattle inside there too much
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #253
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Is the tray hard plastic or soft plastic? That is a good solution and a nice place to hide things if it doesn't rattle inside there too much
The ribbed piece is made of soft plastic and removable.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #254
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

My new HJC AR10 III helmet just came in!

Not sure if I like the motorsport banner on the visor..as it looks pretty damn clean without it.

Last edited by derbo; 04-04-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
      04-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #255
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

# New GoPro mounting solution

My previous solution from my old cars would use suction on the sunroof but that is no longer an option now! After looking around, redpriest used a tackform headrest mount and a few others did on this forum. So I ended up buying one!

Looks good! I hope to use a GoPro Hero5 from a friend and work with Harry Laptimer for giggles. If not, I'll use my old Hero2.
Appreciate 1
redpriest2145.50
      04-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #256
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Try disabling the image stabilization. While some say they love it on the Hero5, I've seen friends' track footage with it on. Looks terrible and hard to understand what's going on with the car. (odd panning)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #257
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Try disabling the image stabilization. While some say they love it on the Hero5, I've seen friends' track footage with it on. Looks terrible and hard to understand what's going on with the car. (odd panning)
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to check that out. He said he has an external mic adapter so I can use my external mic at my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #258
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Personal taste on that one as well - external mic by the exhaust is just more complexity and strangely raspy sounding to me. If you like it though, try it out!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #259
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Personal taste on that one as well - external mic by the exhaust is just more complexity and strangely raspy sounding to me. If you like it though, try it out!
I prefer it over a ton of wind noise in the cabin. Perhaps I'll look into the engine bay as well.

roastbeef has a nice setup that I might need to try!

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...85&postcount=4

Last edited by derbo; 04-07-2019 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #260
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 stick zcp [F30/zhp/E60]

This thread is making me think of moving to a place close Derbo and learning from him.

Awesome bro!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #261
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRules! View Post
This thread is making me think of moving to a place close Derbo and learning from him.

Awesome bro!
Thanks Rajan for the kind words. I'm not an expert by any means.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #262
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Read through this entire thread. Great build and great pics! Glad you're liking the GoPro mount. It does really well.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #263
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Read through this entire thread. Great build and great pics! Glad you're liking the GoPro mount. It does really well.
Thanks man! Hope to see you out there on track one of these days. I believe there is a fair share of folks we both know but never formally met.
Appreciate 1
redpriest2145.50
      04-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #264
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Laguna Seca 2019-04-20

Earlier in the year, I signed up for Laguna Seca HPDE hosted by SpeedSF on 4/20. This would mark my first HPDE in over 3 years and my first HPDE in the E90. It was safe to say, there was a lot of rust to clear up! In hindsight, I should've done a track day in full stock form but oh well!

Current setup:
MCS 2WNR Coilovers
BBS GT4 on 275/35/18 PS4S
PFC08 brake pads / Castrol SRF
BW SS brake lines

The weather in the morning was definitely not behaving as the morning sessions were a “tad wet.”

Open 2 group was the first ones out which made it more fun! Lap times were ranging in the 2:10.xxx mark during this session simply because it was so slippery.

Luckily by lunchtime, the weather started to clear up and I was able to get some decent laps in. I finally was able to get into the groove by the last session of the day.

Impressions

MCS coilovers were simply amazing. Since this was my first day out with the car, I was more focused on fine-tuning the nut behind the wheel before fiddling with the setup too much. At the end of the day, I felt like I was in a great position to improve times without fiddling with the setup too much.

I ended up setting the MCS to the following settings:

Front
Rebound: 16 clicks
Compression: 6 clicks

Rear
Rebound: 14 clicks
Compression: 6 clicks

It is not set in stone but I still need to fix the driver before I can start fiddling with the suspension more.

The Michelin PS4S tires were great but definitely not ideal for a track day. They did perform great in the wet whereas the folks on NT01 were having a hoot in the earlier sessions. I felt like I was getting them greasy at the end of the afternoon sessions even at my slower pace.

Brake pedal feel was okay and the PFC08s were not warming up enough for the first few laps (Another telltale I was too slow for the car) and squealing. They definitely were powerful enough to activate ABS on the PS4S so that was a good sign they were doing their job.

Video

I started to fiddle with RaceRender and it's been really cool to throw in Harry Laptimer data and GPS data from the GoPro Hero5 into the mix. It makes a very cool compiled overlay with a decent amount of information. If HPDEs become a little more serious, I will "invest" into an Aim Solo2 DL. For now, this will do pretty well!

Lap Time: 1:47.11
I am happy I was able to at least get a 1:47! My old E46 was doing 1:49s so I was hoping to save face by at least beating my old slower car.

My quick analysis says I was early apexing T2, T3, early braking T5, early apexing T8 to name a few obvious areas needed for improvement. I saw kpewpew doing 1:42.xx so I have a few ways to go once I have some better tires.

Next HPDE will most likely be in the summer months so it will put a test to the brakes and PS4S. I'll run the PS4S until it wears out and purchase one of the 200 treadwear tires to replace it.

That's it for now. Till next time!

Appreciate 1