BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

03-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #23
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

It's nice to see Bimmer fans not being totally biased towards the Roundel!
I like BMWs, but love Porsches. To me BMWs give good performance and practicality, whereas Porsches are superior in performance (let's keep this to just the purist models, aka no Cayennes, etc). I don't think BMW makes a solid competitor to the 911 or Cayman, but Porsche doesn't make good performance cars that can accommodate more than 2 people, golf clubs, etc (I don't count the Panamera because its to pricey and fugly).
When I had my 987.2 Cayman S I was at the BMW dealer ordering my wife's old X3, and the sales guys were giving me a hard time saying that I should have had an M3 and it was better, yada, yada. I just smiled and said no thanks, because I obviously wasn't going to change their opinions. Drive the two back to back, and you'll see why.
All that being said, I currently have no Porsches and two F30s, and am completely happy for the time being. I started a new business this year and had to let go of the Porsche, but I find the 328 quite fun on the street!
I'll be back in a Porsche one day in the future though, with a Bimmer sitting along side in the garage ;-)
      03-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Without a doubt go cayman s. I would choose it over an e92 M3 any day of the week and am currently thinking of going to one after my 991s.
Just curious since you own a 911c2s. Do you think that a 981 cayman looks better then the current 991? I recently went Rizza Porsche here in Chicago and got a chance to check out both side by side and the Cayman won the looks department by far. It had a better stance and the side profile is gorgeous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Not even close. I moved from a 335 to a Cayman S and that was a giant step forward, going from a 328 would be even more dramatic.
Hopefully next year when my lease is up Ill be following your steps 335i to Cayman s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Do it!

Sub 3K lbs!!! Better handling than 911 and so many other cars. However, before you buy it check out C7.

GL!
The C7 is no joke. 460 well balanced usable hp and the interior is night and day between the old c6's. Vette has stepped it up big. Its crazy to think that in a year you will be able to probably scoop one up for mid to high 30k. Bargain of a lifetime IMO.
yep and we all know tuning costs for C vs P if one desires them
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #25
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
It's nice to see Bimmer fans not being totally biased towards the Roundel!
I agree.

I enjoy BMWs but I enjoy other brands as well. I can understand brand loyalty but the myopic view that only BMW produces good cars and all other manufacturers are trash is a view that's frighteningly prevalent.

I think that this site is not only the best BMW forum but the best car forum out there, period. People mention 6-SpeedOnline but the non-Porsche sections there are just littered with posts/advertisements by sponsors.

At least here we can have reasonable discussions about other brands in the General Automotive sub-forum.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Amen.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Il really do like BMW, driven an E46 M3, E92 M3 and now an E82 1M...which is by far the best Bimmer ever IMHO

I have doubts about the F8X M, it is just growing and growing.......size does matter? Yes, smaller cars please

So I`ll jump to a Cayman GTS I think, I love the proportions, the styling, the stance, In/exterior is sublime IMHO. German engineering at its finest.

Maybe I`ll keep the 1M too, because it`s rare, because I do love the thing.....

Decisions etc etc.....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'd take this for sure:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/981CGTS.html

BOOM!
      03-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I agree.

I enjoy BMWs but I enjoy other brands as well. I can understand brand loyalty but the myopic view that only BMW produces good cars and all other manufacturers are trash is a view that's frighteningly prevalent.

I think that this site is not only the best BMW forum but the best car forum out there, period. People mention 6-SpeedOnline but the non-Porsche sections there are just littered with posts/advertisements by sponsors.

At least here we can have reasonable discussions about other brands in the General Automotive sub-forum.
Agreed!

and 6-speedonline is only useful in the 911 section I think. For Cayman/Boxster, Planet-9 is the best
      03-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #30
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think BMW makes a solid competitor to the 911 or Cayman, but Porsche doesn't make good performance cars that can accommodate more than 2 people, golf clubs, etc (I don't count the Panamera because its to pricey and fugly).
I agree with the rest of your post, but I'm going to bring this bit up. From an objective perspective, I don't think there's a single model-to-model case where BMW makes a superior product to Porsche's. The Macan, Cayenne, and Panamera have all been massively successful at taking the other established German offerings and beating them at their own game, although it's understandable that their classes/pricepoints aren't exactly apples to apples.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I agree with the rest of your post, but I'm going to bring this bit up. From an objective perspective, I don't think there's a single model-to-model case where BMW makes a superior product to Porsche's. The Macan, Cayenne, and Panamera have all been massively successful at taking the other established German offerings and beating them at their own game, although it's understandable that their classes/pricepoints are apples to apples.
True, what I meant is that I don't count those as real Porsches

Really though, my next suv will be the Macan S, so even I fall for the "non-purist" Porsches!
      03-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #32
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, what I meant is that I don't count those as real Porsches

Really though, my next suv will be the Macan S, so even I fall for the "non-purist" Porsches!
Heh, fair point. I'm going to be jealous of your Macan. It's the perfect looking SUV to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #33
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Heh, fair point. I'm going to be jealous of your Macan. It's the perfect looking SUV to me.
BTW, I see you're local to me (I live in Lakewood Ranch). Are there ever any gatherings in the Tampa area?
When I get the Macan (technically for my wife after she tires of the 320i), I'll take you out for a ride
      03-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #34
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I agree.

There are other forums, where there is even less bias than on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #35
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What are some other good BMW forums? So far I've found Bimmerpost to be the best
      03-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW, I see you're local to me (I live in Lakewood Ranch). Are there ever any gatherings in the Tampa area?
When I get the Macan (technically for my wife after she tires of the 320i), I'll take you out for a ride
Yes! I go to Cars & Coffee meets every now and then. They're on the third Saturday morning of each month. Right around the Pinellas Park/St. Pete area. It's been about a year since I went to my last one, always good fun though! I'm due to go again. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/CarsAndCoffee

By the way, do NOT miss out on the 11th annual Festival of Speed which is in the downtown St. Pete area. It's coming up Sunday, April 6th. I don't think I've ever missed one of these: http://festivalsofspeed.com/st-petersburg/

I don't know of any Bimmer or P-car centric meets though.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #37
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i didn't read all the posts in this thread but it's two different classes. no offense to anyone but a 328i is a very basic car. it's a great car... but very basic.

Last edited by gtron; 03-22-2014 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #38
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
I agree.

Well said my friend. You hit it right on the head, this is definetely the most informative forum where Ive learned to work by following DIY's and making my own. The members are always willing to help. This is definetely the best car forum I have been a part of to date.

6speed online is a ghost town. Theres a few good threads here and there, but like you said spammed out!

Even when I get my Cayman Ill still be on here 100%. Plus my wife drives a 328xi.
      03-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #39
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes! I go to Cars & Coffee meets every now and then. They're on the third Saturday morning of each month. Right around the Pinellas Park/St. Pete area. It's been about a year since I went to my last one, always good fun though! I'm due to go again. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/CarsAndCoffee

By the way, do NOT miss out on the 11th annual Festival of Speed which is in the downtown St. Pete area. It's coming up Sunday, April 6th. I don't think I've ever missed one of these: http://festivalsofspeed.com/st-petersburg/

I don't know of any Bimmer or P-car centric meets though.
Cool thanks!
      03-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #40
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Do it!

Sub 3K lbs!!! Better handling than 911 and so many other cars. However, before you buy it check out C7.

GL!
While we are bringing up cars other than the 328 and Cayman S, I think the F80 M3 or M4 is going to be a decent step forward from E9X since the tq is up, weight is down, and there is more tire. LSD has gone to the electric controlled setup too.

If the F80 engine is underrated, M3 (especially with DCT) might achieve similar performance to the C7
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #41
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Amen.
Thank you my friend.

Quote:
Agreed!

and 6-speedonline is only useful in the 911 section I think. For Cayman/Boxster, Planet-9 is the best
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check out Planet-9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I'll admit I'm a bit biased toward this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Well said my friend. You hit it right on the head, this is definetely the most informative forum where Ive learned to work by following DIY's and making my own. The members are always willing to help. This is definetely the best car forum I have been a part of to date.

6speed online is a ghost town. Theres a few good threads here and there, but like you said spammed out!

Even when I get my Cayman Ill still be on here 100%. Plus my wife drives a 328xi.
Thanks! Jason and Mark both work very hard to provide great content. We moderators try to contribute news and info. as well when we're not nuking spam.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice all of the advertising there. Aside from that, there are some very knowledgeable/friendly folks there.

Be sure to post some photos of the Cayman here once you get it!
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #42
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I went from a 2007 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si to a 2014 Cayman S.
My 2 cents, think long and hard about how you'll actually be using your car and what car best fits that pattern of use.
I loved my Z4C but it was getting a little long in the tooth and so I was looking around.
I was never a fan of the 987 cayman aesthetically but I liked the 981 when it came out (although it didn't stir me like the Z4C shape did when it came out in 2005). So I went for a drive in a 981S and was blown away by the driving dynamics, poise, balance, response, sound. The drive was so engaging and the most fun I'd had driving ever. So I ordered one.
I loved the car at first and still enjoy it, but I have found that it doesn't fit the confines of the urban environment that I find myself driving in. It doesn't have huge low end torque which isn't great in the city. It comes on strong at 4000 rpm and it is fun to take it to redline but I rarely ever get to do that since it's at 135km an hour in second at redline. And while the handling limits, poise and dynamics are a lot of fun, again I rarely get to tap into those capabilities in the city.
I am looking at making a change either to C7 (low end torque) or maybe even back to an Mcoupe (which just has an intangible pull for me).
So just think about how you'll be actually driving the car. If you're confined to urban driving, you might not find the cayman the best fit, on the other hand if you have nice, empty twisty roads at your beckoning, it would probably work very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #43
CarReviewBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the only reason you are not getting trashed in this thread and is only gently being rebuked is because it's a BMW Forum.
A Cayman S is a car that will cost up to 80k+ after taxes and fees. That's the 'worth'. A 328i with packages is around 46,000+10% taxes and fees. So around 52,000. Base models go for around 43,000+10%. So around 46,000.
A Porsche as a Brand is just on a higher tier than BMW, it's not even comparable.

BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Audi are 'mainstream Luxury'. Porsche is hovering around that 'super luxury' tier.

It's a BMW Forum, so I get it. But please know your place.

Getting a 328i over a Porsche Cayman S is the same as getting a Civic SI over a 328I.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #44
CarReviewBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i didn't read all the posts in this thread but it's too different classes. no offense to anyone but a 328i is a very basic car. it's a great car... but very basic.
Everyone gets it,nobody wants to admit it because you never want to hear that your 44,000 dollar+ car is 'uncomparable' and 'not even in the same class' as another car. But it is what it is.

A BMW328I is a expensive car compared to the overall car market, it's a very good/great car compared to the overall car market. It's a nobody compared to the Cayman S.
Appreciate 0