BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #23
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
The ezlok is exactly what I used. I don't think the oem screws are self tapping. Either way, you're better off drilling them out and put in the ezlok. The plastic tread won't last long, if you always take the cover off and what not.

Filter wise, I prefer to use BMS because is cleanable. I didn't care much about the sound. My ITG filter is actually still wrapped in the packaging. I didn't even bother taking it out.
Which exact Ezlok did you use and with what fasteners? I know there was a DIY thread posted about this but I cannot find it.

Neverminded, I found it. Link for those interested.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636372
      09-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Nah, that was just the introduction thread. There was a long GB thread where members posted their impressions, install tips, I added dynos, etc
That's the one that's gone
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #25
M3anest
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The Karbonius GB thread is from 2018, I opened the GB. Prior to that I asked the mods for permission, but it's the only GB I've ever opened so they said one GB was ok.

Now it's deleted, which is very odd
That GB thread was the holy grail of CF intakes with proven results. Was glad to be a part of it. Sad to see people so jealous that they go out of their way to ruin someone else's success.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      10-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #26
Sammy82
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I installed my Karbonius Airbox last weekend

One thing has to be said:
accuracy of fitment is something else
Reminded me of adjusting a racing fairy for my old motorcylce
It wouldn't have been long before I reached for a Dremel or an angle grinder

No matter if its the plenum itself with its eight intake manifolds, putting in the snorkel with the airfilter or the lid from the filter housing, there are many manufacturing tolerances

As said above, the front screw on the cover has to be replaced by a longer one.
New insert and a longer screw solved the problem.

I removed the whole kit three or four times till I was satisfied with the fitment.

Before the Karbonius Airbox I had a carbon fibre plenum from Carboproject here in Germany with the Eventuri Intake. It did`t matter in which order you tighten which screw first. Fitment was perfect
But the plenum broke after six years and one of the two bolts was missing: found it in the Eventuri intake
I was also not satisfied with the filter performance of the Eventuri: the whole plenum was dirty. Even if I cleaned the filter every 5k mls The BMC filter was a lot better

I don't live near an asphalt plant. Likewise, there is not so much dust during harvest time with the combine that causes so much dirt

I also renewed the IAT sensor with the Karbonius: the old one did not spread correctly and did`t fit correctly anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #27
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So many fit issues with this box. Crazy ppl continue to run it despite. I don't think it even sounds great tbh.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

After taking it off about a dozen times for cleaning, smog checks, and maintenance, I pretty much got it down. The neck likes to go on a certain way and once you figure it out, it's easy.
The lid isn't a big deal either, it just doesn't go on like oem. You have to hold it in place while you screw it down.
pjk38088.00
      10-25-2021, 02:30 AM   #29
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

no arguing the fitment (mostly the airbox lid and the snorkel connecting point) leaves plenty to be desired. But save for some deep maintenance/repair on the engine once the box is on I'd venture to say most stay on there for awhile; it's not like the floor mats that come out for cleaning during car wash every month

Everything else is subjective.

Some may prefer the enhanced v8 sound over the sheer bump in raw power output, others the other way around. And some happen to like the sound AND the look of Karbonius over other plenums; I do. Other options are great too and I wouldnt mind running those plenums on my car, but I have no regret going Karbonius. To each of his own which direction to go with this 15 year-old-platform car, nothing crazy about that
      10-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #30
Sammy82
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
So many fit issues with this box. Crazy ppl continue to run it despite. I don't think it even sounds great tbh.
Don`t get me wrong:
The assembly can be solved without any problems
You just have to align it exactly
And don't be surprised at the gaps on the lid in the front area

The sound fully compensates for the somewhat fiddly assembly
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #31
Sammy82
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

As my car is still in the shop for some things to be done, my mechanic sent me some photos of the Karbonius airbox
When I installed the Karbonius, I often thought I was to dumb to mount that thing correctly

It´s no wonder this thing din`t fit as oem, but take closer look at the pictures
Difference between the oem plenum and the Karbonius

So everyone who had problems with the install:
take a ruler and messure the depth of the funnel
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #32
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Not surprised. Their airbox was a complete disaster from the start. Sad to see people stuck with this junk
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #33
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy82 View Post
As my car is still in the shop for some things to be done, my mechanic sent me some photos of the Karbonius airbox
When I installed the Karbonius, I often thought I was to dumb to mount that thing correctly

It´s no wonder this thing din`t fit as oem, but take closer look at the pictures
Difference between the oem plenum and the Karbonius

So everyone who had problems with the install:
take a ruler and messure the depth of the funnel
Just let karbonius know, and they’ll likely take care of it.

My experience with Karbonius and their after sale support is nothing but amazing. I probably received the worse fitment plenum from them during the initial groupbuy. They took care of everything after just a couple of emails and sent a placement within the week I emailed them. The replacement plenum and filter lid is a perfect fit for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 01:55 AM   #34
Sammy82
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

The pictures were sent to the main office in Spain yesterday, with the request for a quickly replacement

We´ll see if the new one fits better than this paperweight made of carbonfibre, because you can`t use it for anything else

That should only be a hint for all customers who had similar problems with the assembly as I did and don`t know where the problem is

Simply dismantle and take a ruler or a spirit level and measure whether everything is ok
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #35
Sammy82
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

It took four (4!!!) boxes until the result was satisfying
Now everything fits as it should
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 04:49 AM   #36
--Aramis--
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

4 boxes? it's some kind of prototype not a commercial product
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #37
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Damn these things really are junk. Couldn't be happier I returned mine. Zero chance these things hold up over time if they can't even get the basics right. A lot of people are gonna be stuck with this crap in a few years. Imagine if it took 4 times to get bearings right on this car? Wow!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #38
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

So I installed my full Karbonius setup last week. Yes fitment of the lid and snorkel area suck as everyone has said. The plenUm itself not bad. Two questions. First is there a specific torque for the worm clamps? At first I got a CEL then went back in tightened them further and CEL disappeared. I hope I didn't over tighten see attached photos. The other issue is at full throttle and between 6-8k there is the great sound we all love but there's also like a weird stuttering sound. Not smooth to redline as with the OEM setup. Any ideas on this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #39
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
So I installed my full Karbonius setup last week. Yes fitment of the lid and snorkel area suck as everyone has said. The plenUm itself not bad. Two questions. First is there a specific torque for the worm clamps? At first I got a CEL then went back in tightened them further and CEL disappeared. I hope I didn't over tighten see attached photos. The other issue is at full throttle and between 6-8k there is the great sound we all love but there's also like a weird stuttering sound. Not smooth to redline as with the OEM setup. Any ideas on this?
That doesn't look fully seated to me at all, and that could be the reason it isn't smooth to redline. Rub a dab of 100% silicone lube around the inside lip of each throttle body boot and re-seat the plenum. There should only be a very very small gap between the plenum and the top of the throttle body boots. The gap in your pictures is way too large.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 1
m34m697.00
      05-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #40
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
Quote:
That doesn't look fully seated to me at all, and that could be the reason it isn't smooth to redline. Rub a dab of 100% silicone lube around the inside lip of each throttle body boot and re-seat the plenum. There should only be a very very small gap between the plenum and the top of the throttle body boots. The gap in your pictures is way too large.
If you look closely and zoom in you'll notice the silver part is being reflected in the carbon fiber and therefore looks twice as large as it actually is.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 08:24 PM   #41
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

you're probably overtightening the hose clamps. there is no torque spec, just snug af. the rubber boot should be snugged up against the carbon. you shouldn't see any of the silver velocity stack, and if you do, maybe 1-2mm of the silver. with this plenum up that high, the neck and lid are probably off by a bit as well.
loosen the clamps until you can see the entire band is loose on the boot. there is a rubber stopper on the boot that holds the nut in place, so don't worry about it running away from you under the plenum. seat the plenum by pressing firmly with both hands around the edges of the plenum, both at the top by the strut braces, and down by where the coolant reservoir is. finish up with some pats to really seat it. clamp it down snug. install the neck and filter as one piece, and install them when the lower part of the filter box isn't bolted down. lid last, obviously.
      05-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #42
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you're probably overtightening the hose clamps. there is no torque spec, just snug af. the rubber boot should be snugged up against the carbon. you shouldn't see any of the silver velocity stack, and if you do, maybe 1-2mm of the silver. with this plenum up that high, the neck and lid are probably off by a bit as well.
loosen the clamps until you can see the entire band is loose on the boot. there is a rubber stopper on the boot that holds the nut in place, so don't worry about it running away from you under the plenum. seat the plenum by pressing firmly with both hands around the edges of the plenum, both at the top by the strut braces, and down by where the coolant reservoir is. finish up with some pats to really seat it. clamp it down snug. install the neck and filter as one piece, and install them when the lower part of the filter box isn't bolted down. lid last, obviously.
Awesome advice thanks. Do you recommend the silicone lubricant as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 09:24 PM   #43
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I believe there is a spec torque value of 3NM (27 inch lbs).
      05-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #44
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have never applied any lubricant to my boots. they had some kind of lubricant on them from the factory and it has lasted. i've probably had the plenum off about eight times. i'd leave it alone unless they are bone dry. if they are too lubed up and you tighten the clamps too much, i feel like it would squeeze the plenum up and unseat it like what you have pictured.

you might see posts from time to time of people sort of pre-tightening the hose clamps. i just haven't found it to be necessary. tight enough to not be a necklace, but loose enough that you can rotate it around the boot is good. any more and you're really fighting to seat it, and you don't want that.