BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
darren p.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4, MkII GTI, E90 M3s

Karbonius Install Questions

Hi all, I finally got my hands on one of these intakes last weekend and installed it on Sunday. I remember reading about the installation issues in the original Group Buy thread but for some reason I can not find that thread any longer, was it black holed? I searched quite a bit and did not find that many threads on this topic (or YouTube videos) that really dealt with these installation issues or briefly mentioned them but no real discussions so I'm hoping this thread can be of use to others as well as myself to get them all sorted out.

Anyway, the issues I had were the common issues people seemed to have when these first came around:
  • The factory front screw for the airbox cover being too short to reach the lower airbox, without it, the pipe from the front scoop will not easily fit the airbox/top
  • unable to fit the ITG filter, currently running the AFe filter my car came with
  • IAT sensor seems like a loose fit compared to my stock plenum

Its possible my lower airbox is messed up, a few of the holes are stripped so the screws just spin and don't tighten and the Karbonius cover didn't fit well over it so maybe it is warped too. I'm also thinking the spring for the filter is not fully recessing and that is the reason the ITG filter won't fit. I'm looking for a replacement airbox but am curious what others have done to get this thing properly installed. I was a little dissatisfied with the end result, didn't sound like I was expecting but am chalking that up to the dirty AFe filter that I had to leave on there. I haven't had a chance to mess with the car this week but want to spend some time fine tuning this.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best,
Darren
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

You can drill out the stripped holes on your air box, put in new metal inserts and it’ll allow you to use new bolts to tighten. While you’re at it, just a get a longer bolt for the front hole.

I never bother using the ITG filter. I kept the BMS filter that I had.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Front screw is too short, but it doesn't change snorkel fit. Try feeding the lid into the snorkel neck first.

IAT sensor swivels. It is fine.

08-10 cars have a longer nub inside of the intake box. If this is in your year range, get a shorter nub.
Pro tip- don't secure the lower box with the two mounting bolts until you have the filter in place in the box. Install the neck and filter as one piece.
      09-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

09-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
darren p.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
You can drill out the stripped holes on your air box, put in new metal inserts and it’ll allow you to use new bolts to tighten. While you’re at it, just a get a longer bolt for the front hole.
The factory screws are self tapping into the lower plastic airbox holes I believe, you are saying to just drill them out and install threaded inserts? I found these - https://www.ezlok.com/threaded-inserts-for-plastic

Quote:
I never bother using the ITG filter. I kept the BMS filter that I had.
Interesting, I read the sound is affected quite a bit by the filter. I wonder how the BMS filter compares to the ITG filter as far as flow and sound? Do you have any complaints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Front screw is too short, but it doesn't change snorkel fit. Try feeding the lid into the snorkel neck first.
Thanks, will try that!

Quote:
IAT sensor swivels. It is fine.
Thanks again!

Quote:
08-10 cars have a longer nub inside of the intake box. If this is in your year range, get a shorter nub.
Pro tip- don't secure the lower box with the two mounting bolts until you have the filter in place in the box. Install the neck and filter as one piece.
My car is an 08 so that makes sense, are you saying to get a nub from a '11-up? I didn't see they are available separately. I actually found your comment about not having those 2 bolts secured in one of the threads I did find so that is how I installed it but was racking my brain trying to get that filter in but ran out of time and patience so kept the existing filter I had for the time being.

Thanks for the quick replies!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yes, get an '11 nub. It's about 1/2" shorter. Still tight, but you want it to be.
      09-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Found an old pic of the two.
Attached Images

09-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
The factory screws are self tapping into the lower plastic airbox holes I believe, you are saying to just drill them out and install threaded inserts? I found these - https://www.ezlok.com/threaded-inserts-for-plastic

Interesting, I read the sound is affected quite a bit by the filter. I wonder how the BMS filter compares to the ITG filter as far as flow and sound? Do you have any complaints?

Thanks, will try that!
The ezlok is exactly what I used. I don't think the oem screws are self tapping. Either way, you're better off drilling them out and put in the ezlok. The plastic tread won't last long, if you always take the cover off and what not.

Filter wise, I prefer to use BMS because is cleanable. I didn't care much about the sound. My ITG filter is actually still wrapped in the packaging. I didn't even bother taking it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
darren p.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Found an old pic of the two.
That is great, you don't have a part number by chance do you? I looked on RealOem but am only finding the whole box

Quote:
The ezlok is exactly what I used. I don't think the oem screws are self tapping. Either way, you're better off drilling them out and put in the ezlok. The plastic tread won't last long, if you always take the cover off and what not.
Ha, nice...do you recall the size you got?

Quote:
Filter wise, I prefer to use BMS because is cleanable. I didn't care much about the sound. My ITG filter is actually still wrapped in the packaging. I didn't even bother taking it out.
If you don't care about the sound, you got this for just looks or do you have a custom tune and are making good power with it? I'm not really feeling any added power but wasn't really expecting much without a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
If you don't care about the sound, you got this for just looks or do you have a custom tune and are making good power with it? I'm not really feeling any added power but wasn't really expecting much without a custom tune.
I could be wrong, but think what he's referring to is that there's argument part of the enhanced induction noise is created specifically by the filter itself, on top of the plenum design and the thinner CF material which combine creates the louder/throatier growl.

But Karbonius is no longer using ITG filters with this kit, at least that's what I was told - ordered a second kit this year and it came paired with BMC filter (Karbonius mentioned the switch during my ordering process). FWIW I did not really notice a marked difference in sound quality or level between the old/new filters.
      09-06-2021, 12:29 AM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

the short nub does not have a part number, its part of the lower airbox.
      09-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamfoo View Post
I could be wrong, but think what he's referring to is that there's argument part of the enhanced induction noise is created specifically by the filter itself, on top of the plenum design and the thinner CF material which combine creates the louder/throatier growl.

But Karbonius is no longer using ITG filters with this kit, at least that's what I was told - ordered a second kit this year and it came paired with BMC filter (Karbonius mentioned the switch during my ordering process). FWIW I did not really notice a marked difference in sound quality or level between the old/new filters.
This.

I don't think there is much of noise difference between ITG and BMS filter. Majority of noise comes from the plenum.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've used the kit with the oem paper filter, ITG and Dinan. Can't say I notice a difference. Most of the sound comes from the plenum itself, it's nuts

Edit: I can't find the Group Buy thread myself... did Evolve or another vendor complain and get it removed? It was opened after getting the green light from the mods here... it should still be around
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Does this thread help?

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499719
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      09-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I was able to find that one, but not the GB one! The GB thread is where all the install help was posted, etc etc.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #16
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I was able to find that one, but not the GB one! The GB thread is where all the install help was posted, etc etc.
Interesting! I found this FS post that I believe links to the group buy thread, but clicking it brings you to an invalid thread... Looks like it got the boot

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574930
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      09-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #17
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Interesting! I found this FS post that I believe links to the group buy thread, but clicking it brings you to an invalid thread... Looks like it got the boot

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574930
that's sad. Surely due to a complaint from highly evolved members

It's disappointing to see this. No one badmouthed any forum sponsors there at all. I've intentionally kept out of the Evolve threads to not give anyone a reason to ban me or delete the GB thread.
Appreciate 3
      09-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It's disappointing to see this. No one badmouthed any forum sponsors there at all. I've intentionally kept out of the Evolve threads to not give anyone a reason to ban me or delete the GB thread.
Unfortunately seems to be more and more prevalent. I've had a few of my posts recently deleted because it did not agree with the ideals of the almighty few.

Hopefully you get the answers you need OP and they were not lost in the helpful, yet deleted thread.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11478.00
chocstraw495.50
      09-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #19
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:

i think the GB guy you're talking about is that ********** dude. he seems to be the only guy doing this GB stuff.. last one i saw was for the Schrick cams, and Evolve Valve Exhaust.

his stuff disappeared probably didn't pay or something for the vendor stuff.
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #20
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
i think the GB guy you're talking about is that ********** dude. he seems to be the only guy doing this GB stuff.. last one i saw was for the Schrick cams, and Evolve Valve Exhaust.

The Karbonius GB thread is from 2018, I opened the GB. Prior to that I asked the mods for permission, but it's the only GB I've ever opened so they said one GB was ok.

Now it's deleted, which is very odd
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #21
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post

That guy was something else. He setup several group buys and got in trouble for not paying vendor fees. So what does he do? He paid one month of fees and furiously setup as many GB's as he could so he could acquire free parts for himself and then dipped out.

BTW we need another Karbonius GB.
      09-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #22
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
The Karbonius GB thread is from 2018, I opened the GB. Prior to that I asked the mods for permission, but it's the only GB I've ever opened so they said one GB was ok.

Now it's deleted, which is very odd
this one? https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499719

and you're correct the other guy did carboproject or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
That guy was something else. He setup several group buys and got in trouble for not paying vendor fees. So what does he do? He paid one month of fees and furiously setup as many GB's as he could so he could acquire free parts for himself and then dipped out.

BTW we need another Karbonius GB.
yea that shit was mad annoying like bro...the only good GB i saw was the CF Plenum from Carboproject
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11478.00