BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
JL947
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 - Melbourne Red

Continuous Limp Mode Occurance

For reasons unbeknownst to me, my 08 E90 6spd keeps hitting limp mode every other drive. Though a lot less frequent when the weather is cooler. Thankfully, Carly shows nothin more than 02 sensors and TA's. With a simple clearing, I can turn the vehicle off and back on then everything goes to normal.

But here's the problem. TA's have been replaced (I've got 5 rebuilt ones that have gone into the car to no avail), replaced all 02 sensors, exhaust gaskets, spark plugs, fuel tank breather valve (doubt it is related), and the issue still arrises.

From what I've been told, a simple exhaust leak can cause the car to go into limp mode. Some even have said their E90 M3 also had the same issue with an Alpine burble tune, and the limp mode disappeared without the burble option.

Just looking for advice on what else I can check/replace to help minimize the limp mode occurrence.

Thanks ladies & gents!

Note: It needs to be known I'm not point fingers at Alex, this is simply an observation by another owner which I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced. Alex has told me himself the motor needs to be as healthy as possible to run the burble tune, so I am aware that my motor may be the culprit rather than him.
2016 Shelby GT350
2015 428i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
walt mckenna
Rep
Drives: 2012 Factory Five Mark IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL947 View Post
For reasons unbeknownst to me, my 08 E90 6spd keeps hitting limp mode every other drive. Though a lot less frequent when the weather is cooler. Thankfully, Carly shows nothin more than 02 sensors and TA's. With a simple clearing, I can turn the vehicle off and back on then everything goes to normal.

But here's the problem. TA's have been replaced (I've got 5 rebuilt ones that have gone into the car to no avail), replaced all 02 sensors, exhaust gaskets, spark plugs, fuel tank breather valve (doubt it is related), and the issue still arrises.

From what I've been told, a simple exhaust leak can cause the car to go into limp mode. Some even have said their E90 M3 also had the same issue with an Alpine burble tune, and the limp mode disappeared without the burble option.

Just looking for advice on what else I can check/replace to help minimize the limp mode occurrence.

Thanks ladies & gents!

Note: It needs to be known I'm not point fingers at Alex, this is simply an observation by another owner which I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced. Alex has told me himself the motor needs to be as healthy as possible to run the burble tune, so I am aware that my motor may be the culprit rather than him.

This is a long shot but cost nothing to try. My 11 E92 M3 with DCT would go into limp mode on first start about one out of ten starts. After much trial and error, the following startup procedure fixed the problem.....Insert key fob in dash, press start without pressing pedal, press pedal and then press start again..... As I said in a previous post, this cured the problem but not the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #3
JL947
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 - Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt mckenna View Post
This is a long shot but cost nothing to try. My 11 E92 M3 with DCT would go into limp mode on first start about one out of ten starts. After much trial and error, the following startup procedure fixed the problem.....Insert key fob in dash, press start without pressing pedal, press pedal and then press start again..... As I said in a previous post, this cured the problem but not the root cause.
I will try this for a while and see if it works on my car. I have heard another member performing this start up sequence for the same issue as well.

Thanks
2016 Shelby GT350
2015 428i M Sport
Appreciate 0