BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

03-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

turbofans... anyone tried them to aid brake cooling?

i'd like to get the most of my stock setup before going bbk

after SS lines, SRF, pfc08, ducting, rotors (any suggestions for oem replacements that flow better?)

has anyone tried turbofan wheel covers get more hot air away from the brakes?

I know the look is polarizing but from a track usage point of view i think the functionality is there.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the problem would be finding a wheel that fits properly on this platform. it won't be a cost effective solution. them money would be better spent on a proper bbk than wheels designed to cool the brakes.
the fastest guys on here have proper brakes and none run fanned wheels.
      03-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
the problem would be finding a wheel that fits properly on this platform. it won't be a cost effective solution. them money would be better spent on a proper bbk than wheels designed to cool the brakes.
the fastest guys on here have proper brakes and none run fanned wheels.
sorry i should have used clearer wording: i was mainly interested in 'turbofan covers' which are fixed to the wheel face.

those would be significantly cheaper than bbk, i'm just not sure if the performance would be worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ldats View Post
sorry i should have used clearer wording: i was mainly interested in 'turbofan covers' which are fixed to the wheel face.

those would be significantly cheaper than bbk, i'm just not sure if the performance would be worthwhile.
you've found something aftermarket that you would trust affixing to any wheel and have it stay on at high speeds? i don't think such a thing exists. what would it mount to exactly?
all the examples i've ever seen had separate holes tapped into the wheel face that the "fan" is bolted to.
      03-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

03-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
i'd like to get the most of my stock setup before going bbk

after SS lines, SRF, pfc08, ducting, rotors (any suggestions for oem replacements that flow better?)

has anyone tried turbofan wheel covers get more hot air away from the brakes?

I know the look is polarizing but from a track usage point of view i think the functionality is there.
What have you done so far from what you've listed (SS lines, SRF, pfc08, ducting, rotors)?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

add up the cost of all that stuff and you're probably not far off from an actual bbk, especially a more reasonably priced bbk like an st40 front and rear. then you could rotate pads. you'll have to do fluid anyways, and you'll have to buy pads anyways.
before you get nutty with a bunch of bandaids, add up the realistic costs and compare.

Last edited by roastbeef; 03-14-2020 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
add up the cost of all that stuff and you're probably not far off from an actual bbk, especially a more reasonably priced bbk like an st40 front and rear. then you could rotate pads. you'll have to do fluid anyways, and you'll have to buy pads anyways.
before you get nutty with a bunch of bandaids, add up the realistic costs and compare.
To a certain extent I agree. But other then upgrading rotors, you'd be doing all of the above with a BBK anyways. I'm curious what he's done so far to see what the best next step would be.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
What have you done so far from what you've listed (SS lines, SRF, pfc08, ducting, rotors)?
i actually haven't done any of these yet.

i have the SS lines and SRF here, but have not installed. the PFC/ducting/rotors were the next steps i was planning.

what would you suggest?

roastbeef thank you for the advice re: cost vs bbk, i definitely need to look into it more. i was looking at the brembo gt-s setup and that looks to be 7k+ for f/r.

if you have any moderately priced bbk recommendations that will handle normal 20min hot lapping sessions at my home track WSIR, i'm all ears!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 12:28 AM   #10
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

i have the SS lines and SRF here, but have not installed. the PFC/ducting/rotors were the next steps i was planning.

what would you suggest?

roastbeef thank you for the advice re: cost vs bbk, i definitely need to look into it more. i was looking at the brembo gt-s setup and that looks to be 7k+ for f/r.

if you have any moderately priced bbk recommendations that will handle normal 20min hot lapping sessions at my home track WSIR, i'm all ears!
Lines, SRF (Endless is even better), ducting and PFC pads will take you a long way. Rotors would be the next step up but likely unneeded assuming you have good ducting.

I run a similar brake setup on my race car and have had no issues with fade or performance, running R-comp and scrub slicks. I've stuck with stock rotors as I haven't needed the extra cooling capacity of the PFC or StopTech OEM upgraded rotors - also because I can replace them for free from FCP Euro.

Before trying to get a turbofan wheel to work, which won't be easy, do what you listed above. It will likely be more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 12:34 AM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

there are a bunch of people happy with the stoptech st40 kits front and rear. a big benefit of a front and rear st40 kit is being able to rotate pads. bimmerworld has a 21% off and free shipping code right now. so you're looking at about $4,329 with stainless lines and some street pads. not terrible for the performance. this kit with srf and proper pads will do just fine at WSIR (one of my favorite tracks).

simply add up the costs of everything (no turbofans, i don't think you'll be able to achieve that reasonably) and compare the two. the st40 kit might be more reasonable. ducting is always good, but isn't always necessary. ducting also adds to cost and you'll have to figure out where to mount it, which is usually a front lip.
      03-15-2020, 12:38 AM   #12
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

what would you suggest?

There's a set of almost new Stoptechs for sale on this forum for $4500. I think that would be a good place to start looking.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697076
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #13
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
I went with stock brakes using PFC08 pads and SRF fluid my first season, but after a certain level I was getting pad fade and the pads just weren't lasting very long. I thought about ducting and upgraded rotors, but figured that in the long run I wouldn't be satisfied throwing money at bandaids (albeit in smaller increments). I'm happy I found a deal on a used bbk instead, although the initial purchase was quite expensive.
      03-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #14
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Wheel fans cost a lot of topend speed and are only a good idea when you’re out of other ones
Appreciate 0