BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #23
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Anybody read the reviews on these recently? One s2000 owner reports it feels like it's going to hydroplane at 60mph in the rain haha
Thought these might be a nice cheap replacement for PS4s, but guess I'll keep looking lol

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Anybody read the reviews on these recently? One s2000 owner reports it feels like it's going to hydroplane at 60mph in the rain haha
Thought these might be a nice cheap replacement for PS4s, but guess I'll keep looking lol

Take those user reviews with a grain of salt. Is that a competent driver? Do they actually know what hydroplaning is? How is the car modified? Was the tire inflated properly? What were the conditions on that specific road and day/time? The Tire Rack test did indicate it's a little edgy in the wet, but it doesn't sound dangerous IMO:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248

If you want a cheap PS4S alternative, maybe get the older PSS or look at the Kumho PS91 which seems to be a copycat. Do you run your PS4S as your wet track tire, or is it purely for the street?
      05-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #25
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
also how heavy was the rainfall? I have hydroplaned all over in a brand new Subaru Forester with all seasons when it was pouring rain.
      05-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #26
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Take those user reviews with a grain of salt. Is that a competent driver? Do they actually know what hydroplaning is? How is the car modified? Was the tire inflated properly? What were the conditions on that specific road and day/time? The Tire Rack test did indicate it's a little edgy in the wet, but it doesn't sound dangerous IMO:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248

If you want a cheap PS4S alternative, maybe get the older PSS or look at the Kumho PS91 which seems to be a copycat. Do you run your PS4S as your wet track tire, or is it purely for the street?
I need a wet-track tire that I can daily on. The PS4s is the go-to, but the sticker shock still gets me, so looking for an alternative if it exists. Considered PSS but they're not much less in terms of cost.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #27
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
I need a wet-track tire that I can daily on. The PS4s is the go-to, but the sticker shock still gets me, so looking for an alternative if it exists. Considered PSS but they're not much less in terms of cost.

LOL yeah, they can definitely get away with commanding that premium.

Have you skimmed the test results on Tire Rack's website to see what the other competitors are in that "max performance" category? The Corvette guys like the Conti ExtremeContactSport as a cheaper alternative to the OEM PSS. Wet traction seems to be pretty good on that.