BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-14-2020, 05:23 AM   #1
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

ESS 625 low boost - findings

I was fighting a low boost issue for weeks and wanted to share what I did and how I fixed it.

Lets start with what changed.

I had a white top injector ESS Kit. I went to a smaller 94mm pulley on a blue top injector. I swapped these out and that is when my problem started.

I have a P3 gauge tapped inline and I was only able to get 2.5 - 5.0 for boost readings. About 20% of the time I would see boost at 7psi or better.

Purchased a boost leak tester:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchased a smoke tester:

Smoke test yielded no leaks. Don't expect to see anything unless you have a good size leak.

Boost leak tester installed on the plenum and a bottle of soapy water was up next.

I ran the psi up to 10psi and made sure all 8 intake boots were sprayed. Saw a couple clamps that could be tightened up some more. Intake boots were replaced a couple of years ago by me so I did not expect these to be bad.

Searching old posts on here, it seems like a T to the boost gauge worked well for others but I wanted to rule that out.

I installed a velocity stack Awron type from iTsEpic. Awron does not show these in stock anymore so for you supercharger guys might not be a bad idea to pick one up before the used market is depleted.

On doing so, I noticed that the T under the plenum was kinked more than I would like. I broke the plastic T fitting and went with a new brass one. Replaced the hard brittle vac line that leads to the bypass valve.

Root:
The kinked vac line under the plenum had a leak that was in the inside of the bend.

Boost levels are higher and well above 7psi where they should be now. I did lose my vac readings since I using the velocity stack to read boost.

I had a file revision performed by BPM to address the injectors and pulley change.

The car runs great now. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:59 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

I had similar issue with my Gpower kit, I ended up replacing all of the plastic T fittings with brass and braided lines.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

would have been a nice add on to buy the ess manifold tie downs.

and personally I think the 94mm pulley is a waste of money, they sell it as a 650k boost achievement but in reality you need a 91mm to match the boost level of a ess 650kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
bvrider1
Captain
Rep

I actually have the tie downs installed now.

There is always the case of how much you can push and I wanted to go with a smaller pulley.

As for now I am pretty content.

I would not turn down the offer to try a 91mm pulley though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
would have been a nice add on to buy the ess manifold tie downs.

and personally I think the 94mm pulley is a waste of money, they sell it as a 650k boost achievement but in reality you need a 91mm to match the boost level of a ess 650kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
I actually have the tie downs installed now.

There is always the case of how much you can push and I wanted to go with a smaller pulley.

As for now I am pretty content.

I would not turn down the offer to try a 91mm pulley though.

I may end up having an extra one after this week. I'll let you know but when I was doing testing after installing my ess 625kit. I ordered a 3.6 pulley and with both a dyno and boost gauge after ensuring no leaks car hit right at 8 psi top of the rpm band at sea level.

I think ess sells the 94mm just to shut people up from asking for 650kit boost numbers as the only way to actually get close to the same boost and driving pattern of a true 650kit you need to run a 3.48 a 88mm.

Gain is when you go 3.48 which is a 88mm. Not so much for peak boost but power comes in alot sooner. People rant and rave about harrop tq when its achievable from ess kit just by dropping pulley size. I currently run a 3.1 (78mm) pulley and when I say it hits hard down low i mean it. I am however full e85 tune car on large injectors.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      05-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
I was fighting a low boost issue for weeks and wanted to share what I did and how I fixed it.

Lets start with what changed.

I had a white top injector ESS Kit. I went to a smaller 94mm pulley on a blue top injector. I swapped these out and that is when my problem started.

I have a P3 gauge tapped inline and I was only able to get 2.5 - 5.0 for boost readings. About 20% of the time I would see boost at 7psi or better.

Purchased a boost leak tester:

Purchased a smoke tester:

Smoke test yielded no leaks. Don't expect to see anything unless you have a good size leak.

Boost leak tester installed on the plenum and a bottle of soapy water was up next.

I ran the psi up to 10psi and made sure all 8 intake boots were sprayed. Saw a couple clamps that could be tightened up some more. Intake boots were replaced a couple of years ago by me so I did not expect these to be bad.

Searching old posts on here, it seems like a T to the boost gauge worked well for others but I wanted to rule that out.

I installed a velocity stack Awron type from iTsEpic. Awron does not show these in stock anymore so for you supercharger guys might not be a bad idea to pick one up before the used market is depleted.

On doing so, I noticed that the T under the plenum was kinked more than I would like. I broke the plastic T fitting and went with a new brass one. Replaced the hard brittle vac line that leads to the bypass valve.

Root:
The kinked vac line under the plenum had a leak that was in the inside of the bend.

Boost levels are higher and well above 7psi where they should be now. I did lose my vac readings since I using the velocity stack to read boost.

I had a file revision performed by BPM to address the injectors and pulley change.

The car runs great now. That's all.
We made the velocity stacks for the Awron/ESS combo and still have them in stock.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
bvrider1
Captain
Rep

That car has to move!

Yeah man keep me posted if you want to get rid of the pulley.

Quote:
I may end up having an extra one after this week. I'll let you know but when I was doing testing after installing my ess 625kit. I ordered a 3.6 pulley and with both a dyno and boost gauge after ensuring no leaks car hit right at 8 psi top of the rpm band at sea level.

I think ess sells the 94mm just to shut people up from asking for 650kit boost numbers as the only way to actually get close to the same boost and driving pattern of a true 650kit you need to run a 3.48 a 88mm.

Gain is when you go 3.48 which is a 88mm. Not so much for peak boost but power comes in alot sooner. People rant and rave about harrop tq when its achievable from ess kit just by dropping pulley size. I currently run a 3.1 (78mm) pulley and when I say it hits hard down low i mean it. I am however full e85 tune car on large injectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
Lambro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Glad the velocity stack worked out for you.

I just took a Awron stack I had bought and took it to a machine shop with 7 ess stacks I had from my old plenum and he machined it to the same specs as the awron stack. I think I have 6 left or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
Lambro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I have the 3.6 and 8psi is what I see. I was thinking about going down to a 3.48 and giving that a try. I'm on e85 with flex fuel kit at the bpm e85 tune also.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsEpic View Post
Yeah I have the 3.6 and 8psi is what I see. I was thinking about going down to a 3.48 and giving that a try. I'm on e85 with flex fuel kit at the bpm e85 tune also.
drop the flex fuel and get larger injectors and an actual e85 tune you will see more power gain then you will just going to the 3.48.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:38 AM   #11
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good to know. Thanks for posting. The G-Power SKII kit car I just purchased has low boost and is also blowing off couplers.... I’m having it shipped to my house m, so I can’t open it up right away to see what’s going on...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
Lambro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
drop the flex fuel and get larger injectors and an actual e85 tune you will see more power gain then you will just going to the 3.48.
i have the 590cc bosch injectors with the BPM e85 flex fuel tune. I only run about E50-65ish. I can probably go higher as my AFRs are staying on point but I havnt tested it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsEpic View Post
i have the 590cc bosch injectors with the BPM e85 flex fuel tune. I only run about E50-65ish. I can probably go higher as my AFRs are staying on point but I havnt tested it yet.
Sell the flex kit get a real tune and bigger injectors. Those flex kits only increase duty cycle they do nothing for timing maps. To use on effectively you end up running a extremely aggressive 93 octane tune that is right at or actually knocking, the motor reduces timing on 93 due to the knock and on e85 because the octane rating is higher, the knock goes away and the car appears to make more power when in reality its just seeing its target timing mark.
Appreciate 0