BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1657
Rep
6,272
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Here's the data to compare TWS with Helix Ultra Racing below and attached. Now the only forum guy I know who can interpret it for us is dparm. I'll send him a PM.
Not much else to say here other than the fact that they're nearly identical on paper. 99.9% of people won't notice any significant difference in operation. I would happily use either one without hesitation.

I don't know if this particular version of Helix is using the new GTL basestocks. If it is, it's arguably a slightly newer formula.

Spend more time driving and less time combing through spec sheets.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2016, 02:49 AM   #24
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
South Korea
600
Rep
3,840
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (21)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Posted my Blackstone oil change here from old TWS to new Shell
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=14
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #25
Exclusivs
Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
262
Rep
2,010
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (23)

Oil change is upcoming :

- Stay on same Castrol EDGE fluid
vs
- New "Twin Turbo Fluid" 10W60

How will effect blackstone journals I've been logging?

Might be safer to play it apples to apples in this case as long as its still available?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #26
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1533
Rep
3,964
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiGuy View Post
No thoughts by anyone on the last ^ post? I'm interested in hearing what thoughts are around this. The new Shell oil is made utilizing a very unique process and definitely has a compelling story to it. Another note to add I saw on the Shell site is that they are the only company to travel to races with Ferrari F1 providing a mobile lab, if you will, for oil analysis during race conditions. Same oil technology, Helix. I personally just had my Rod Bearings replaced by BMW under warranty and the oil fill from that being done was with the new Shell. I've used the TWS and Liquimoly 10w-60 since I've owned the car. Both had noticeable valve train noise on the morning start-up. Car is garaged with climate control always. With the Shell, I've noticed since having the car back from BMW that the valve train noise on the morning start up has for the most part disappeared. Very interesting I think. Anyone else notice this in their car?
Hi WiFi, mind posting a bit more details on your bearing swop? Don't believe I've seen anything in the "bearing thread". (i.e. reasons, mileage, BMWs reaction/case handling etc).

We're always curious on this subject as you know..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #27
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1657
Rep
6,272
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Oil change is upcoming :

- Stay on same Castrol EDGE fluid
vs
- New "Twin Turbo Fluid" 10W60

How will effect blackstone journals I've been logging?

Might be safer to play it apples to apples in this case as long as its still available?

It's not any safer (nor any more risky) to switch. Both oils are API certified meaning they must be mixable.

Blackstone has even said the differences are very small, mostly down to slight elevation or reduction of certain additives.

My two cents: use whichever is cheaper.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1533
Rep
3,964
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Not much else to say here other than the fact that they're nearly identical on paper. 99.9% of people won't notice any significant difference in operation. I would happily use either one without hesitation.

I don't know if this particular version of Helix is using the new GTL basestocks. If it is, it's arguably a slightly newer formula.

Spend more time driving and less time combing through spec sheets.
Dparm, don't understand oil spec's myself; With the Castrol and Shell spec's almost identical, what would you say is the reason to the Shell warming up faster as reported by some users?
That bit in my mind sounds appealing, while the following higher working temperature less so.

Still on TWS Edge but thinking on what to use next change.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #29
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1657
Rep
6,272
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Dparm, don't understand oil spec's myself; With the Castrol and Shell spec's almost identical, what would you say is the reason to the Shell warming up faster as reported by some users?
That bit in my mind sounds appealing, while the following higher working temperature less so.

Still on TWS Edge but thinking on what to use next change.

Thanks

Hard to say. Until someone repeatedly logs oil temps (not using the stupid gauge on the instrument cluster) on a variety of different days and times to prove it, I'd be surprised if one really did warm up faster than the other.

That being said, if Shell is warming up faster, it might have a slightly higher viscosity index or something like that. We're only speculating that it's Shell Helix Ultra, we don't know for certain.

My advice stands: use whichever is cheaper. If the price is the same, might as well get the newer GTL-based Shell stuff. Although GTL is still fairly new, it offers very low NOACK values which should mean less build-up over time and more resistance to degradation. It's a good thing for cars running long change intervals and a motor with direct injection (not applicable here).

I say try the Shell stuff and see how it works for you!
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP

Last edited by dparm; 01-25-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #30
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1533
Rep
3,964
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Hard to say. Until someone repeatedly logs oil temps (not using the stupid gauge on the instrument cluster) on a variety of different days and times to prove it, I'd be surprised if one really did warm up faster than the other.

That being said, if Shell is warming up faster, it might have a slightly higher viscosity index or something like that. We're only speculating that it's Shell Helix Ultra, we don't know for certain.

My advice stands: use whichever is cheaper. If the price is the same, might as well get the newer GTL-based Shell stuff. Although GTL is still fairly new, it offers very low NOACK values which should mean less build-up over time and more resistance to degradation. It's a good thing for cars running long change intervals and a motor with direct injection (not applicable here).

I say try the Shell stuff and see how it works for you!
Cheers man
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #31
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
South Korea
600
Rep
3,840
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (21)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
The only thing I have noticed so far is that the Shell burns off or vaporizes faster.
From my last Blackstone test I did, I am already down 1/2L of oil per my gage and I'm 1/2 way through my change interval.

The last change I did, I was down a full L between oil changes. If you look at my history, I have never had to add any top off's.

I don't see any leaks around my engine so I ruled that out.
Not very scientific however for me, there are now two data points to consider.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #32
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1657
Rep
6,272
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
The only thing I have noticed so far is that the Shell burns off or vaporizes faster.
From my last Blackstone test I did, I am already down 1/2L of oil per my gage and I'm 1/2 way through my change interval.

The last change I did, I was down a full L between oil changes. If you look at my history, I have never had to add any top off's.

I don't see any leaks around my engine so I ruled that out.
Not very scientific however for me, there are now two data points to consider.

It can take a full oil change interval for things to stabilize. There's going to be quite a bit of TWS left in there. A little bit of consumption isn't a problem anyway -- topping off the oil replenishes additives and brings viscosity closer to virgin levels.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:02 AM   #33
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
South Korea
600
Rep
3,840
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (21)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It can take a full oil change interval for things to stabilize. There's going to be quite a bit of TWS left in there. A little bit of consumption isn't a problem anyway -- topping off the oil replenishes additives and brings viscosity closer to virgin levels.
Yeah I'm not worried about a bit of consumption.
Regardless of how much TWS is left (this will soon be my 2nd oil change with Shell), if I never had oil loss with TWS and now I see about 1L of oil loss with Shell, shouldn't the stabilization have happened the other way around?

Last edited by BzsBimmer; 01-26-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #34
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1657
Rep
6,272
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Yeah I'm not worried about a bit of consumption.
Irregardless of how much TWS is left (this will soon be my 2nd oil change with Shell), if I never had oil loss with TWS and now I see about 1L of oil loss with Shell, shouldn't the stabilization have happened the other way around?

I can't speak for the S65, but there are countless folks on BITOG who experience a temporary rise in consumption when changing oil types. Most of them report that it comes back down after one or two oil change intervals. I've never seen a clear answer on why this is, but I would guess it has to do with the new stuff interacting with the motor differently (i.e. cleaning more aggressively, causing rings to re-seat slightly, etc).

If it bothers you, or you notice consumption continues to stay high, maybe switch back?
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
272
Rep
1,731
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It can take a full oil change interval for things to stabilize. There's going to be quite a bit of TWS left in there. A little bit of consumption isn't a problem anyway -- topping off the oil replenishes additives and brings viscosity closer to virgin levels.
Yeah I'm not worried about a bit of consumption.
Irregardless of how much TWS is left (this will soon be my 2nd oil change with Shell), if I never had oil loss with TWS and now I see about 1L of oil loss with Shell, shouldn't the stabilization have happened the other way around?
Irregardless ?
;-)
;-)
__________________
00 Z3 - Conforti, Magnaflow
02 330i ZSP - Dinan Stage3, Corsa
13 M3 ZCP - Corsa
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #36
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
BzsBimmer's Avatar
South Korea
600
Rep
3,840
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nor. Cal

iTrader: (21)

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Irregardless ?
;-)
;-)
Ha ya got me
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #37
Exclusivs
Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
262
Rep
2,010
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It's not any safer (nor any more risky) to switch. Both oils are API certified meaning they must be mixable.

Blackstone has even said the differences are very small, mostly down to slight elevation or reduction of certain additives.

My two cents: use whichever is cheaper.
At this point the EDGE oil OEM kit from Turner - only by a few bucks.

Gonna keep things apples to apples here
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
elerner61
Captain
elerner61's Avatar
70
Rep
946
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mount Kisco, NY

iTrader: (0)

Interesting "placebo" stuff going on here .

I've got 59K on my M. Ran TWS in it until two oil changes ago. For the past 20K miles or so the 3K rpm Vanos noise has been more noticeable to me. Last year (annual 7.5K miles oil changes) I switched over to the Shell oil. The Vanos noises seemed to be less to me, particularly once the car was fully warmed up. I just changed my oil two weeks ago and put TWS in (was cheaper than the Shell from Turner). The Vanos noise definitely seems louder again. I hate that noise.

So, put me in the "believer" category. Shell for me going forward.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST