BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

INDustry distribution

01-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Here's the data to compare TWS with Helix Ultra Racing below and attached. Now the only forum guy I know who can interpret it for us is dparm. I'll send him a PM.
Not much else to say here other than the fact that they're nearly identical on paper. 99.9% of people won't notice any significant difference in operation. I would happily use either one without hesitation.

I don't know if this particular version of Helix is using the new GTL basestocks. If it is, it's arguably a slightly newer formula.

Spend more time driving and less time combing through spec sheets.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2016, 02:49 AM   #24
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M & 2015 F80 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Posted my Blackstone oil change here from old TWS to new Shell
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=14
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #25
Exclusivs
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Oil change is upcoming :

- Stay on same Castrol EDGE fluid
vs
- New "Twin Turbo Fluid" 10W60

How will effect blackstone journals I've been logging?

Might be safer to play it apples to apples in this case as long as its still available?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #26
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiGuy View Post
No thoughts by anyone on the last ^ post? I'm interested in hearing what thoughts are around this. The new Shell oil is made utilizing a very unique process and definitely has a compelling story to it. Another note to add I saw on the Shell site is that they are the only company to travel to races with Ferrari F1 providing a mobile lab, if you will, for oil analysis during race conditions. Same oil technology, Helix. I personally just had my Rod Bearings replaced by BMW under warranty and the oil fill from that being done was with the new Shell. I've used the TWS and Liquimoly 10w-60 since I've owned the car. Both had noticeable valve train noise on the morning start-up. Car is garaged with climate control always. With the Shell, I've noticed since having the car back from BMW that the valve train noise on the morning start up has for the most part disappeared. Very interesting I think. Anyone else notice this in their car?
Hi WiFi, mind posting a bit more details on your bearing swop? Don't believe I've seen anything in the "bearing thread". (i.e. reasons, mileage, BMWs reaction/case handling etc).

We're always curious on this subject as you know..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #27
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Oil change is upcoming :

- Stay on same Castrol EDGE fluid
vs
- New "Twin Turbo Fluid" 10W60

How will effect blackstone journals I've been logging?

Might be safer to play it apples to apples in this case as long as its still available?

It's not any safer (nor any more risky) to switch. Both oils are API certified meaning they must be mixable.

Blackstone has even said the differences are very small, mostly down to slight elevation or reduction of certain additives.

My two cents: use whichever is cheaper.
      01-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Not much else to say here other than the fact that they're nearly identical on paper. 99.9% of people won't notice any significant difference in operation. I would happily use either one without hesitation.

I don't know if this particular version of Helix is using the new GTL basestocks. If it is, it's arguably a slightly newer formula.

Spend more time driving and less time combing through spec sheets.
Dparm, don't understand oil spec's myself; With the Castrol and Shell spec's almost identical, what would you say is the reason to the Shell warming up faster as reported by some users?
That bit in my mind sounds appealing, while the following higher working temperature less so.

Still on TWS Edge but thinking on what to use next change.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #29
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Dparm, don't understand oil spec's myself; With the Castrol and Shell spec's almost identical, what would you say is the reason to the Shell warming up faster as reported by some users?
That bit in my mind sounds appealing, while the following higher working temperature less so.

Still on TWS Edge but thinking on what to use next change.

Thanks

Hard to say. Until someone repeatedly logs oil temps (not using the stupid gauge on the instrument cluster) on a variety of different days and times to prove it, I'd be surprised if one really did warm up faster than the other.

That being said, if Shell is warming up faster, it might have a slightly higher viscosity index or something like that. We're only speculating that it's Shell Helix Ultra, we don't know for certain.

My advice stands: use whichever is cheaper. If the price is the same, might as well get the newer GTL-based Shell stuff. Although GTL is still fairly new, it offers very low NOACK values which should mean less build-up over time and more resistance to degradation. It's a good thing for cars running long change intervals and a motor with direct injection (not applicable here).

I say try the Shell stuff and see how it works for you!

Last edited by dparm; 01-25-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #30
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Hard to say. Until someone repeatedly logs oil temps (not using the stupid gauge on the instrument cluster) on a variety of different days and times to prove it, I'd be surprised if one really did warm up faster than the other.

That being said, if Shell is warming up faster, it might have a slightly higher viscosity index or something like that. We're only speculating that it's Shell Helix Ultra, we don't know for certain.

My advice stands: use whichever is cheaper. If the price is the same, might as well get the newer GTL-based Shell stuff. Although GTL is still fairly new, it offers very low NOACK values which should mean less build-up over time and more resistance to degradation. It's a good thing for cars running long change intervals and a motor with direct injection (not applicable here).

I say try the Shell stuff and see how it works for you!
Cheers man
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #31
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
South Korea
Rep

The only thing I have noticed so far is that the Shell burns off or vaporizes faster.
From my last Blackstone test I did, I am already down 1/2L of oil per my gage and I'm 1/2 way through my change interval.

The last change I did, I was down a full L between oil changes. If you look at my history, I have never had to add any top off's.

I don't see any leaks around my engine so I ruled that out.
Not very scientific however for me, there are now two data points to consider.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #32
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
The only thing I have noticed so far is that the Shell burns off or vaporizes faster.
From my last Blackstone test I did, I am already down 1/2L of oil per my gage and I'm 1/2 way through my change interval.

The last change I did, I was down a full L between oil changes. If you look at my history, I have never had to add any top off's.

I don't see any leaks around my engine so I ruled that out.
Not very scientific however for me, there are now two data points to consider.

It can take a full oil change interval for things to stabilize. There's going to be quite a bit of TWS left in there. A little bit of consumption isn't a problem anyway -- topping off the oil replenishes additives and brings viscosity closer to virgin levels.
      01-26-2016, 02:02 AM   #33
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
It can take a full oil change interval for things to stabilize. There's going to be quite a bit of TWS left in there. A little bit of consumption isn't a problem anyway -- topping off the oil replenishes additives and brings viscosity closer to virgin levels.
Yeah I'm not worried about a bit of consumption.
Regardless of how much TWS is left (this will soon be my 2nd oil change with Shell), if I never had oil loss with TWS and now I see about 1L of oil loss with Shell, shouldn't the stabilization have happened the other way around?

Last edited by BzsBimmer; 01-26-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #34
dparm
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Irregardless of how much TWS is left (this will soon be my 2nd oil change with Shell), if I never had oil loss with TWS and now I see about 1L of oil loss with Shell, shouldn't the stabilization have happened the other way around?

I can't speak for the S65, but there are countless folks on BITOG who experience a temporary rise in consumption when changing oil types. Most of them report that it comes back down after one or two oil change intervals. I've never seen a clear answer on why this is, but I would guess it has to do with the new stuff interacting with the motor differently (i.e. cleaning more aggressively, causing rings to re-seat slightly, etc).

If it bothers you, or you notice consumption continues to stay high, maybe switch back?
      01-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
330indy
CCA member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 + e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
Quote:
Irregardless of how much TWS is left (this will soon be my 2nd oil change with Shell), if I never had oil loss with TWS and now I see about 1L of oil loss with Shell, shouldn't the stabilization have happened the other way around?
Irregardless ?
;-)
;-)
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #36
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Irregardless ?
;-)
;-)
Ha ya got me
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #37
Exclusivs
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
It's not any safer (nor any more risky) to switch. Both oils are API certified meaning they must be mixable.

Blackstone has even said the differences are very small, mostly down to slight elevation or reduction of certain additives.

My two cents: use whichever is cheaper.
At this point the EDGE oil OEM kit from Turner - only by a few bucks.

Gonna keep things apples to apples here
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
elerner61
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Interesting "placebo" stuff going on here .

I've got 59K on my M. Ran TWS in it until two oil changes ago. For the past 20K miles or so the 3K rpm Vanos noise has been more noticeable to me. Last year (annual 7.5K miles oil changes) I switched over to the Shell oil. The Vanos noises seemed to be less to me, particularly once the car was fully warmed up. I just changed my oil two weeks ago and put TWS in (was cheaper than the Shell from Turner). The Vanos noise definitely seems louder again. I hate that noise.

So, put me in the "believer" category. Shell for me going forward.
Appreciate 0