BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
chriswebb007
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93 M3

Oil Issue!

Hello everyone,

I’m new the m3 world. Just got myself a 2013 e93 m3 which I love and wonder why I haven’t bought one sooner.

I’ve only had the car for a week and I was told when I picked it up that it had a service. A few days later I was looking through the vehicle settings and found that the oil was over filled. So I booked it in at a mates garage and had the oil changed. I know these cars meant to have 8.8L of oil but we only put in 8 because of the issue we’re having but I’m still getting oil over filled! Just wondering if there is anything else I can check. Just worried everytime I Drive it!!

Thank you everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Probably just a sensor issue. They are a little finicky sometimes.
If you fully drained through BOTH drain plugs, and then added the measured amount, you should be good.
Only 8L? If your level sensor is stuck and only shows overfill, you could be running at a deficit, which is bad.
Is it giving you the "too much" warning or is it just at max? And what's you're average running temp and ambient where you live?

I would still start at the sensor if you know you've put in the proper amount.
Appreciate 1
RomanK46.00
      06-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
chriswebb007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpark1977 View Post
Probably just a sensor issue. They are a little finicky sometimes.
If you fully drained through BOTH drain plugs, and then added the measured amount, you should be good.
Only 8L? If your level sensor is stuck and only shows overfill, you could be running at a deficit, which is bad.
Is it giving you the "too much" warning or is it just at max? And what's you're average running temp and ambient where you live?

I would still start at the sensor if you know you've put in the proper amount.
I took it to a mates garage and he drained it from underneath. He only un done 1 nut which is next to the sensor to drain it coz I was watching. So I'm assuming it has way too much oil!!

Where is the other plug!! Bit worried about driving it now!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's forward of the main plug. You need to pull both and let it drain for a good amount of time. I leave mine over the catch for an hour to be sure it's all out.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
chriswebb007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpark1977 View Post
It's forward of the main plug. You need to pull both and let it drain for a good amount of time. I leave mine over the catch for an hour to be sure it's all out.
I may have to pop down there again then and get this sorted. I really don't want to drive it if there's too much oil. Way too risky!! Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
Bpark1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You should get some ramps/jack stands and do your oil at home. Save that labor cost as the materials alone are like $100
Appreciate 0