BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-17-2022, 02:44 AM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Strange rattle

I have this strange rattle noise that I’mtrying to identify.

Can hear it only when car is:
- warmed up
- at idle
- inside the car, it sounds like it is coming from passenger side behind the dash.
- loudest is right in front of the passenger side front wheel.

https://youtube.com/shorts/BMWtmW8rP0o?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/bgiysE7TxOA?feature=share

Heat shield? Exhaust gasket before the cat?

Also yesterday I had a CEL for the pre-cat passenger side o2 sensor. I swapped the sensor over to the driver side and cleared the code. Drove around for about 2 hours and turned the car off multiple times, the code haven’t come back. I also tighten up the exhaust bolts just before the cat. Could this noise be related to that?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 03:23 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I'd definitely check the exhaust heat shields first.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I'd definitely check the exhaust heat shields first.
Found the issue.

It was not the exhaust flange or heat shields. Spent many hours under the car poking and checking all the heat shields. Changed the exhaust gaskets twice. And finally my friend found the top nut on the passenger side engine mount was loose.

I have the Vibra technic (street) mounts and the rubber on the passenger side is clearly compressed or starting to collapse, which I think it is why the top nut came loose. In any case, tightened the top nut back up and rattle went away.

I got the Vibra technic mounts installed back in January 2018 when I did the rod bearings. 4 years, 30k km and 12 track days later they’re starting to show signs of failure. I guess I am a bit disappointed, I was expecting to get a bit more life out of them since they’re suppose to be better than oem.

Anyways, I guess I’ll look for new mounts now. Likely not gonna go with Vibra anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Vibra is rubbish. They won't even sell you replacement parts if you ask. They're just not interested in aftersales support. I tossed mine in the bin with the rest of the garbage.
Appreciate 1
Bubbles2753.00
      02-01-2022, 11:18 PM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Vibra is rubbish. They won't even sell you replacement parts if you ask. They're just not interested in aftersales support. I tossed mine in the bin with the rest of the garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Found the issue.

It was not the exhaust flange or heat shields. Spent many hours under the car poking and checking all the heat shields. Changed the exhaust gaskets twice. And finally my friend found the top nut on the passenger side engine mount was loose.

I have the Vibra technic (street) mounts and the rubber on the passenger side is clearly compressed or starting to collapse, which I think it is why the top nut came loose. In any case, tightened the top nut back up and rattle went away.

I got the Vibra technic mounts installed back in January 2018 when I did the rod bearings. 4 years, 30k km and 12 track days later they’re starting to show signs of failure. I guess I am a bit disappointed, I was expecting to get a bit more life out of them since they’re suppose to be better than oem.

Anyways, I guess I’ll look for new mounts now. Likely not gonna go with Vibra anymore.
The rattle will come back, VT quality was garbage.
      02-02-2022, 12:11 AM   #6
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

I run turner motorsport solid aluminum motor and transmission mounts. Love them. Install once and forget!
Appreciate 0