BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

09-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
brodie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3

Help. crank case breather/pcv valve replacement

in the midst of replacing my fuel tank breather valve and saw the crank case breather connector was broken at the plenum.

I know it attaches at the back of the motor and approximately where but what exactly should I be removing? I have the winshield cowl off and the plenum but it looks like theres a bracket around the secondary air pump, start there?

I need this thing driving
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

The other end connects to the rear of the idle control valve which is a few inches to the left of the fuel tank breather valve (as you look under the hood from the front of the car) and hidden below the engine wiring harness. Here are two DIY's that will show you how to access the idle control valve.

ICV DIY

Starter DIY
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
brodie
Enlisted Member
Rep

THank you, both helpful. Actually the other end does connect to the back of the motor somewhere, not the ICV. I'll try and post pics, looks like I'm having to unook the wiring harness.. uuuuuugggh
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I misunderstood which plenum connecting tube you were talking about. The other tube (smaller diameter) that connects to the plenum ends at an EGR type valve located on the driver's side rear of the engine and accessed just a few inches below the black corrugated plastic Y-hose that connects to the driver's side of the secondary air pump to the secondary air valves. When I replaced that tube and EGR valve I had to remove the wiring harness (shown in the Starter DIY) and the windshield cowling and then the corrugated plastic Y-hose which has round plastic push clamps identical to the one found on the large tube you disconnect from the driver's side of the plenum.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here

Last edited by Theodore; 09-29-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
brodie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yup, that's the one.. I've done everything you stated and could get a finger on the other end last night. I think there's a hard line that if I remove from its brackets might let my big mitts in there.
I did buy the valve it attaches to, held in by one (t-30?). Would you suggest trying to take them out as one piece by removing that bolt so I don't have to squeeze that clip off?

BTW THANK YOU!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 11:07 PM   #6
LMBE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I misunderstood which plenum connecting tube you were talking about. The other tube (smaller diameter) that connects to the plenum ends at an EGR type valve located on the driver's side rear of the engine and accessed just a few inches below the black corrugated plastic Y-hose that connects to the driver's side of the secondary air pump to the secondary air valves. When I replaced that tube and EGR valve I had to remove the wiring harness (shown in the Starter DIY) and the windshield cowling and then the corrugated plastic Y-hose which has round plastic push clamps identical to the one found on the large tube you disconnect from the driver's side of the plenum.
Old thread I know however reaching out to see if you had any issues after replacing the PCV valve. In another related thread someone had stated their car had started to go into limp mode etc. I have the broken clip issue at the plenum side of the crankcase vent hose and bought the kit with the hose and valve from FCP. Planning to replace both soon, just wondering how your install went and if you had any issues afterwards. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #7
ksc
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBE92 View Post
Old thread I know however reaching out to see if you had any issues after replacing the PCV valve. In another related thread someone had stated their car had started to go into limp mode etc. I have the broken clip issue at the plenum side of the crankcase vent hose and bought the kit with the hose and valve from FCP. Planning to replace both soon, just wondering how your install went and if you had any issues afterwards. Thank you!
Replaced my breather valve when I started noticing rough idles after filling up and boom, never had that issue (or other issues) again.
Appreciate 0