BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Transmission/Clutch Update

Some of you may recall that I experienced a failure of some sort @ Summit Point during the July 4th weekend. To review, as I was accelerating out of turn 1 I experienced a complete loss of drive. I had nothing but revs and needed to get towed back to the paddock and then winched into my trailer for the drive home. Having had good experience w/RRT I decided that was the route to go and dropped the car off the next week.

With the car on a lift their preliminary inspection revealed some grinding noises which led to an initial diagnosis of transmission failure. As the car is 11 yrs old and is now dedicated to tracking I decided to go the route of a new transmission, and further to add in a new clutch as a preventative measure. Car is SC'd so since everything would already be taken apart I figured might as well do them both.

After receiving numerous recommendations from forum members i decided to go with a race transmission from diffsonline and a clutch from OS Giken. Unfortunately, getting the transmission proved to be a very long delay and it just arrived this afternoon! In preparation for installing everything the car was again placed on the lift and upon CLOSER inspection they found that my one-piece CF driveshaft had snapped off where it connects to the differential, and they have no idea what could have caused that. Could have been transmission failure or could just have been a driveshaft failure. I recall the incident at the track and at no time did I experience any rear wheel locking or anything which could have signaled the occurrence of an event forceful enough to snap the end of the driveshaft. Other than it being extremely hot that day i can think of nothing which could have led to a failure.

So........while the car is still not yet fixed, I now need a new driveshaft in addition to getting the transmission and clutch installed. Talk about drama!
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      09-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the update. Which driveshaft? And did you take care to wrap the exhaust near the end of the driveshaft?
      09-18-2020, 01:53 AM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I'd try the cheaper and more obvious fix first (driveshaft). Remove the DS and run the car. If your gearbox isn't making funny noises it should be fine.

Any pics of the damaged drive shaft?
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      09-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Thanks for the update. Which driveshaft? And did you take care to wrap the exhaust near the end of the driveshaft?
Was the YCW/MFactory driveshaft. I got one of the last ones before they went on hiatus for a while. The exhaust was very much heat wrapped. In fact I was amazed at how well the heat wrap worked. I could literally grab the exhaust pipes and not burn my hand.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      09-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I'd try the cheaper and more obvious fix first (driveshaft). Remove the DS and run the car. If your gearbox isn't making funny noises it should be fine.

Any pics of the damaged drive shaft?
No pics yet. They are supposed to be sending me some in the coming days. The car is just going to be beat on from now until either I drop or it does, so I'm figuring this is as good a time as any to upgrade the transmission and the clutch. I installed the driveshaft myself several years ago so it's always possible that I over torqued something.

While I enjoy working on the car I'm just an investment guy who knows how to turn a few wrenches. By no means am I an experienced mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I don’t think over torquing the rear of the drive shaft would cause the rear flange to snap off. You probably need to be more clear about what broke and where. It’s a CV joint at the rear. There is a picture of one halfway down this thread. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133201
I assume you mean where the CV assembly is inserted into and bonded to the carbon fiber shaft. MFactory has said that a small percentage of its first version shafts suffered bonding issues and that its second version improves the bonding.

Were you doing dragstrip launches on R compound tires? Could the CF shaft have rubbed on anything in that area? Rubbing will destroy a CF shaft.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      09-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
kjchristopher
Rep
Drives: BMW M#

I’m still a little confused how the initial diagnosis, on a lift, wouldn’t have picked i up as a driveshaft/diff problem, since the noises would have been coming from the rear axle area instead of the middle of the car.

Is there also transmission/clutch issues in addition to the shaft?
      09-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

That type of failure is pretty common for cf driveshafts.

The way the CF is fused to the front and rear flange deteriorates over time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Oh no, the M Factory one! That sucks.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      09-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I don’t think over torquing the rear of the drive shaft would cause the rear flange to snap off. You probably need to be more clear about what broke and where. It’s a CV joint at the rear. There is a picture of one halfway down this thread. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133201
I assume you mean where the CV assembly is inserted into and bonded to the carbon fiber shaft. MFactory has said that a small percentage of its first version shafts suffered bonding issues and that its second version improves the bonding.

Were you doing dragstrip launches on R compound tires? Could the CF shaft have rubbed on anything in that area? Rubbing will destroy a CF shaft.
No launching of any kind, just tracking on either PSC2's or R7's. Was on the R7's at the time. There was no signs of rubbing. At least none that have been reported to me so far. I was under the car for a variety of reasons and always checked how things looked and never noticed anything was amiss. Apologies for my explanation of the driveshaft. Yes, the breakage was apparently at the flange where the driveshaft connects to the CV joint. Still waiting on the pictures.

I'm still thinking something else has also been going on because of the 5th gear hesitation I was having under acceleration. It was maddening and seemed as though something was slipping. Every gear pulled hard up to redline but then 5th gear would stutter for several seconds before accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
I’m still a little confused how the initial diagnosis, on a lift, wouldn’t have picked i up as a driveshaft/diff problem, since the noises would have been coming from the rear axle area instead of the middle of the car.

Is there also transmission/clutch issues in addition to the shaft?
Yeah, about that driveshaft miss.....

The owner of the shop was very apologetic when he called to inform me that they somehow initially missed the driveshaft issue and had instead focused on a possible transmission/clutch issue. Some of the symptoms I described to them seemed like something was slipping. Under WOT I was good through 4th gear but as soon as I would shift into 5th the car would stutter for several seconds before accelerating. No idea if the issues are all related or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You are probably one of the unlucky few who suffered a bonding issue. MFactory suggested that if it did not happen relatively soon in the use of the shaft, it probably would not happen. If your shaft had a couple of years of use then it would be an outlier according to MFactory. Very, very few failures of those shafts have been posted. Mine is doing fine 3 years later and it sees temps of -20F to 100F in year round NH driving, but no track use or R compound tire launching.

Look at the new MFactory shafts and the improved bonding process.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      09-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Oh no, the M Factory one! That sucks.
Yes it does and finding a replacement is proving to be difficult. MFactory is out of stock for the next several months.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #14
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update to the update

The drama continues.....

Transmission is out and spins by hand so I'll be able to get my core refund. They say there is some noise from the input bearing.

OS Giken clutch was missing the flywheel bolts and a release bearing so waiting on that to be get shipped.

MFactory driveshaft appears to be a bonding issue as some suspected. Trying to source a used stock shaft is proving difficult. Shop says they'll keep trying. Would hate to pay for new stock piece.

Pictures will be taken once car is back on lift.

My season is definitely over.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Sorry your season is over, but winter is approaching quick! Take your time with the fixes. Is MFactory unwilling to warranty their part that seems to have failed?

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      09-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Sorry your season is over, but winter is approaching quick! Take your time with the fixes. Is MFactory unwilling to warranty their part that seems to have failed?
Very true about the weather which is what I keep telling myself. I had one of the earlier driveshafts (Summer 2017) so I'm far outside of the 12 month warranty period. On the good news front, just located a used stock driveshaft to at least get me back in one piece. Should be here by the 5th.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #17
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Very true about the weather which is what I keep telling myself. I had one of the earlier driveshafts (Summer 2017) so I'm far outside of the 12 month warranty period. On the good news front, just located a used stock driveshaft to at least get me back in one piece. Should be here by the 5th.
I still think MFactory MFactory should stand behind their product and at least produce a reduced price replacement
Appreciate 3
rhyary1557.00
b4hand661.00
Kelse921131.50
      01-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #18
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some of you may recall that I experienced a failure of some sort @ Summit Point during the July 4th weekend. To review, as I was accelerating out of turn 1 I experienced a complete loss of drive. I had nothing but revs and needed to get towed back to the paddock and then winched into my trailer for the drive home. Having had good experience w/RRT I decided that was the route to go and dropped the car off the next week.

With the car on a lift their preliminary inspection revealed some grinding noises which led to an initial diagnosis of transmission failure. As the car is 11 yrs old and is now dedicated to tracking I decided to go the route of a new transmission, and further to add in a new clutch as a preventative measure. Car is SC'd so since everything would already be taken apart I figured might as well do them both.

After receiving numerous recommendations from forum members i decided to go with a race transmission from diffsonline and a clutch from OS Giken. Unfortunately, getting the transmission proved to be a very long delay and it just arrived this afternoon! In preparation for installing everything the car was again placed on the lift and upon CLOSER inspection they found that my one-piece CF driveshaft had snapped off where it connects to the differential, and they have no idea what could have caused that. Could have been transmission failure or could just have been a driveshaft failure. I recall the incident at the track and at no time did I experience any rear wheel locking or anything which could have signaled the occurrence of an event forceful enough to snap the end of the driveshaft. Other than it being extremely hot that day i can think of nothing which could have led to a failure.

So........while the car is still not yet fixed, I now need a new driveshaft in addition to getting the transmission and clutch installed. Talk about drama!
Car is finally home and back in the trailer. Shop never did send any pics of the damage but I should be all set for a late March visit to VIR. Hope to have my new tow vehicle by then. Here is a list of what was replaced:

OS Giken TR twin-plate clutch E9x M3 S65 BM533-BF6
Diffsonline Built Transmission - REM polished ZF 6 speed
No core charge, returned to Diffsonline
Clutch Release Arm 1.00 35 00 6 769 442
Clutch Return Spring Reinforced 1.00 AGA-CPP-223-328
Clutch Pivot Pin Silicon Bronze 1.00 32 83 22 2 339 219
Oil for Manual Trans MTF-LT-2 2.00 11 41 7 836 233
Gasket (E60/63/64/90/90N/92/92N/93/93N & F06/10/12 1.00 17 22 2 245 358
Oil Cooler Seal 13.4 X 1.78 2.00 11 21 1 720 310
Pilot bearing 1.00
Used E92 M3 driveshaft - manual transmission, excellent condition 82k miles 1.00 51 48 8 040 318
Fuel tank heat shield 1.00 07 14 6 949 380
Body Nut 8.00 07 14 7 129 160
Hex Head Bolt 10.00 51 48 7 900 809
Holder 1.00
Replace failed urethane bushings on subframe and spindle for rear lower forward control arms with RRT custom modified spherical joints
33 30 6 852 895 Control Arm Bushing Ball Joint
Full Race Alignment
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Glad she's out together again!!

So you had a MFactory driveshaft fail and they didn't offer a replacement? @OG Shark also lost a MFactory driveshaft at the track
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      01-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Glad she's out together again!!

So you had a MFactory driveshaft fail and they didn't offer a replacement? @OG Shark also lost a MFactory driveshaft at the track
Thanks!

Yeah, it was one from the first batch so from what I've heard they had some issues with delamination. The exhaust was wrapped but my heat shield wasn't in the best shape so it's possible it just got cooked. It was at the end of the second day on the 4th of July weekend when it failed and that weekend had been insanely hot. Replaced the heat shield and have another CF driveshaft on order which should hopefully be in soon.

Excited to run with the new clutch and transmission. The clutch was noticeably more robust and insanely grabby so curious how that may effect acceleration. Also ended up cooking my methanol pump so had that replaced as well.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, it was one from the first batch so from what I've heard they had some issues with delamination. The exhaust was wrapped but my heat shield wasn't in the best shape so it's possible it just got cooked. It was at the end of the second day on the 4th of July weekend when it failed and that weekend had been insanely hot. Replaced the heat shield and have another CF driveshaft on order which should hopefully be in soon.

Excited to run with the new clutch and transmission. The clutch was noticeably more robust and insanely grabby so curious how that may effect acceleration. Also ended up cooking my methanol pump so had that replaced as well.
Awesome, keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack323.00
      01-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #22
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Do I dare ask what the total bill was?
SonnyJack323.00