BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Steering "knocking" at low speeds

Ok so I have a weird situation to report and or get advice on.

About 6 months ago I started noticing a knocking sound coming from my steering column/rack/ wheels etc. Only notice it when sitting still and or at low speeds ( < 20mph). The absolute most notable way to feel/hear the noise is when the drivers front wheel is riding the little reflectors on the center line, and at low speeds. It makes my whole car feel like the steering and suspension is falling apart. The noise is not present when going over normal road bumps, cracks, pot holes etc. All of my suspension and steering components are tight, no play whatsoever. In the last 3 months I've replaced the inner and outer tie rods and had a new, OE alignment.

The issue has remained. I've inspected the obvious, and had another tech help me narrow it down. With the car on the lift, and no weight on the tires, you can rock the steering wheel back and forth about 20 degrees. It feels like steering play. The other tech could feel the knock in the rack and pinion. And couldn't see any obvious slack in the lower steering shaft assembly.

I know this is a long shot, but Im trying to be as descriptive as possible. If anyone has had experience with something similar and can give me an idea of what else to check, Im all ears.

Edit: I found a thread on the X5 forums about adjusting the preload on the rack and pinion gears. It seems to fix the very common ( For the E70), and exact issue Im having. Im going to give that a swing, and report back asap.

Last edited by Solo_M_Tech; 10-14-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

you're not the first person to experience this. let us know if you find the culprit. my guess is the strut has something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I get it. Feels a little like gravel in the rack or looseness. Only notice sometimes at very low speed. My upper strut bearings are only about a year or two old. Retorqued the rack bolts. Did separate rack from shaft to do rod bearings about 3 years ago. Maybe I did something wrong then?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey
you're not the first person to experience this. let us know if you find the culprit. my guess is the strut has something to do with it.
I can put my hand on the rack and pinion while someone else moves the steering wheel side to side and feel the knock. Originally I thought it was the inner tie rods but after replacing the inner and outer tie rods nothing changed. I dont see or feel any play in the lower shaft assembly. I'm going to adjust the rack preload and report back. I believe that wear combined with the terrible roads here in central FL have caused the preload to come out of spec. I'll report back as soon as I find a solution.
      10-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
william_kang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
I can put my hand on the rack and pinion while someone else moves the steering wheel side to side and feel the knock. Originally I thought it was the inner tie rods but after replacing the inner and outer tie rods nothing changed. I dont see or feel any play in the lower shaft assembly. I'm going to adjust the rack preload and report back. I believe that wear combined with the terrible roads here in central FL have caused the preload to come out of spec. I'll report back as soon as I find a solution.
Is there any update on the fix?
Anyone know about the replacing this part 32106891974 to fix the knocking problem?
Appreciate 0