BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

08-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
RajLives
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
Battery, Alternator or Not Driving Enough

Hate to even ask without checking standing and running voltage but I can't find my tester and was hoping to get some feedback.

Car is an 08 with 62k mileage. Had for 4 years and 2 months. I've never changed the battery and couldn't find when it was changed in the previous owner's service records.

Been getting Electrical Malfunction blips that disappear a few times on my last 2-3 recent times out but not every time. No codes showed with MyCarly.

I also don't drive it much in this COVID era. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks and when I do it is under 5 miles.

Think I should just get a battery due to age? If yes, what are the thoughts on these ones?

Need to handle NYC winters and infrequent driving. Thanks

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...50#description

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...battery-94rh7/
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
You can check the battery age by opening up the compartment and looking at the battery label or a stamp on the negative terminal.

But a good H8 AGM battery from Autozone, etc. should be just fine, and you should be able to get it for under $200 after all the coupons, etc.
I bought their Autocraft (Diehard) battery 2 years ago and it's been good (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general) . I've had it through two winters and don't drive as much these days either.

I do, however, recommend getting a CTEK battery tender to keep it topped up if you're letting the car sit for 2-3 weeks. Any battery will struggle to stay fresh under those circumstances.
      08-27-2020, 06:02 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

And he is not driving far enough to give it much charge. Or get the engine oil hit enough to burn off the condensation and contaminants. I’d buy a new stock spec AGM battery, change the oil and take the car for a 20+ minute drive once a week.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy677.50
      08-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
RajLives
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all. Being an apt dweller I can't get it on a plugin tender or it would probably be on one.

Couple questions:
1. think I need a new battery now based on age or slow trickle charge or 20 min drives weekly would do it?

2. Think a solar battery tender would work? There are cheap ones at 1.5 watt and ones that get up to 15 watts but they approach batter costs

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NATURE-P...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.batterytender.com/10-Wat...-in-Controller
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Sounds stupid but when I lived in a condo a long time ago and hardly ever got to drive my STi I bought a folding cart and I would take the battery out of the car to keep it on a trickle charger in my condo. When I wanted to go for a drive in it instead of my grocery getter I'd just wheel the battery out and put it in. Theft protection AND battery conditioning.

It's not a very good option... but it's an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If the battery is >6 years old, and you're getting random electrical codes, then it's worth replacing. 20 min weekly drives will help but BMW's are battery hogs, so it may not be quite enough to ensure a full charge. A longer drive or several shorter drives per week would be better.

As for solar tenders, sounds interesting though I have no experience with those. Couldn't hurt to try, especially if you have no way to run a plug-in tender to it, though make sure you get a quality one that has lots of reviews, UL listed, etc.
      08-30-2020, 01:56 AM   #7
RajLives
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback all. Parking sucks by me, car is a block away. No in office work in sight, miss driving, must say.

@JPWEraser can't get over your grocery getter line been ridding my bro-in-law about that for years he's been pushing Porsche forever and I'd love to try a Porshche out but can't do 2 cars due to the parking nightmare. Need a Costco run every now and again, can't do that in it 911.

@PACarGuy you got me to put the brakes on a new battery, thanks. Will dig through the service records, wish I new the date. Maybe a date is physically on the battery? Surely not accurate on install but could help idk.

After a bit more research gonna give this one a try. 10 watt charger and maintainer with overcharge/discharge controller @ $35 no brainer imo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZLJFO5AR&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

I wouldn't trust any of these $40 solar chargers. does your apartment complex not have an outlet in the garage to plug in your car? or do they simply not allow it?

I would get a new AGM battery from advance auto with their 25% off coupon or an interstate from costco. charge it inside the house if you need to. or just disconnect the battery cables. living in an apartment sucks for car guys
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy677.50
      08-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
RajLives
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks @PYE46M3, car is currently not even on the premises of the 6 building coop. I'm paying for a spot 1 block away on another property. No chance at power.

NYC sucks for car people, roads, traffic, weather, salt, vandalism, etc. Car was broken into early into the pandemic, luckily only stole my sunglasses.

I'd a probably got an M2 by now if I knew it would be safe. Or at least kept my old e46 m3.

A car and motorcycle are all I can handle managing.

Thanks for the advance auto and costco recommendations. Going to check them out now.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajLives View Post

@PACarGuy you got me to put the brakes on a new battery, thanks. Will dig through the service records, wish I new the date. Maybe a date is physically on the battery? Surely not accurate on install but could help idk.
Just pop open the trunk and remove the battery cover. If it's original (which is unlikely), the date should be stamped on the negative terminal (visible under the clamp) or on a sticker on the battery somewhere. And if not original, it's still likely on the terminal or the battery somewhere.

Here's a pretty good walkthrough:

Last edited by PACarGuy; 08-31-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
RajLives
Private
Rep

Garage List
Drove the car for about 1.5 hours today 2, 45 min runs. Electrical Malfunction happened near 20 times on way there and maybe 10 on way back.

I've attached a Carly report. Any help would be appreciated. Close to bring the car in to my Indy shop, far and will need to spend the whole day there.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FR_2020-09-06_19-14-16.pdf (50.5 KB, 385 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Alternator code isn't in your report (00278D) but I would try a new battery first. The Autozone Duralast AGM has worked flawlessly for me. If it dies on you then you're likely looking at a new alternator. Mine went around the same mileage that you have on your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Battery.

For reference, my '08 went through three OEM batteries, two under warranty!, they went out about every 2 years despite being driven at 12-15,000 miles per year until I switched to a LiFePo battery (which has made it 4 years so far).

For whatever reason, some of these cars just seem to eat them.
      09-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Sounds stupid but when I lived in a condo a long time ago and hardly ever got to drive my STi I bought a folding cart and I would take the battery out of the car to keep it on a trickle charger in my condo. When I wanted to go for a drive in it instead of my grocery getter I'd just wheel the battery out and put it in. Theft protection AND battery conditioning.

It's not a very good option... but it's an option.
I very much doubt you want to do that with the BMW battery. It's in the trunk so the only way to access it is to open the trunk with the trunk popper which needs electricity. Also the OEM battery is 50 lbs and very hard to drop into the tiny hole in the trunk corner.

I've gone through a AGM battery every 3-4 years. I'm on my 3rd battery now. These cars just eat batteries even if you drive it regularly. My 1st one went at 4 years and I was driving the car every day.
      09-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #15
RajLives
Private
Rep

Garage List
I spoke with a BMW service tech and went over the report. He said it is not the battery.

He believes it is either a short (possibly caused by water) or a controller failing.

I am leaning it is due to a short because it is intermittent and seems to happen on rough roads or at moment of hard acceleration.

Going to be a nightmare to diagnose, I bet.
Appreciate 0