BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Help Needed - Water Seeping into Car

I have a 09 E92 M3 and I’m having an issue with water seeping into the car which has caused my amp to fry. In the below pic, is the gap between the trunk and the rear tail light normal? The pic is of my right tail light; the gap on the left tail light is smaller.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

It doesn't look right to me. I'll check mine tonight to see what it looks like on my 08 E92 M3. But the fact that the left side does not have the same gap would lead me to believe that it's a defect. You haven't been in an accident, have you? No need to answer that, just something to think about. Cheers.
      03-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

should be covered in warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
You haven't been in an accident, have you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
should be covered in warranty
Thanks for your responses!

I haven't been in an accident, but both tail lights were removed. The dealership says the tail lights were not put back on correctly which caused the leak. Therefore, warranty coverage has been denied.
After taking my car to an independent shop, the shop thinks the gap does not look normal. So, I wanted to check with other forum members to see if the gap is normal or not.

This thread has more details of the issue http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357048
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i have an E90... but there is no gap like that
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
Thanks for your responses!

I haven't been in an accident, but both tail lights were removed. The dealership says the tail lights were not put back on correctly which caused the leak. Therefore, warranty coverage has been denied.
After taking my car to an independent shop, the shop thinks the gap does not look normal. So, I wanted to check with other forum members to see if the gap is normal or not.

This thread has more details of the issue http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357048
I would try to make the shop that tinted the lights pay up. Good luck.
      03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I would try to make the shop that tinted the lights pay up. Good luck.
The shop that attempted to tint my tail lights is buying me a replacement OEM amp and replacement tail lights. My concern is that the leak is going to reoccur even with new tail lights.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      03-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
sikoskul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Stating the obvious, but make sure to install the lights first, and make sure that resolves the issue. Who knows, maybe there's a leak somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoskul View Post
Stating the obvious, but make sure to install the lights first, and make sure that resolves the issue. Who knows, maybe there's a leak somewhere else?
Yep - my plan is to get the dealership to install the tail lights. I want the dealership to tell me there is no leak before I replace audio parts.

The gap in the pic I posted doesn't look normal to me, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
In the below pic, is the gap between the trunk and the rear tail light normal?
The pic is of the LEFT tail by the way , but definitely not normal. I had mine removed as well since my rear bumper was scratched and bodyshop removed both tails to paint it, but there's no gap. You made me a bit nervous with your thread, but I guess the tails can be removed and reinstalled (correctly, of course ) without having to replace the gaskets, correct???

Nothing else was touched on my car, other than both bumper covers and right front fender, but those don't lead to any leaks. I have a hard time figuring out how you can screw up a tail install when it only pushes in one directon, and all you have to do is tighten 3 nuts . I'd scratch that shop off my list man.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I have a hard time figuring out how you can screw up a tail install when it only pushes in one directon, and all you have to do is tighten 3 nuts . I'd scratch that shop off my list man.

The shop managed to damage the thread on the tail lights - the dealership pointed to this and said the warranty wouldn't cover damage to the amp and speakers. Once I get replacement tail lights I'm going to get the dealership to install the tail lights and verify there is no leaking problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #12
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

i just put the LCI tails on and that gap exists on both sides of the car. I wonder if my old tail lights had that gap...

Does anyone have pics of that area of the boot to show if there is supposed to be a gap or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
BMWe92MeetM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 perfect rock!

Well I have the same issue, and I was going to start a thread when I fell on yours, so today went in the trunk because I smelled some sort of fire smell and guess what my amp was on fire. I managed to remove it but I know that water ( a lot came in ) I do not know where this is coming from but more than a 1/4 inch actually was there and enough to fry it!!! Damn it ...

I already checked the tail light and nothing there, so now I'm thinking maybe it is behind the bumper there is maybe a seal that is done and the water gets in... Weirdly when I wash the car ( hose or water pressure ) or go to the automatic washer nothing, but under rain I get water...

This thing is driving me nut as now I won't buy any amp until I know where this water is coming from. Or relocate the Amp higher in the mountain of the M3 trunk...
Attached Images

Last edited by BMWe92MeetM3; 11-14-2018 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #14
R1d3r
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWe92MeetM3 View Post
I already checked the tail light and nothing there, so now I'm thinking maybe it is behind the bumper there is maybe a seal that is done and the water gets in... Weirdly when I wash the car ( hose or water pressure ) or go to the automatic washer nothing, but under rain I get water...

This thing is driving me nut as now I won't buy any amp until I know where this water is coming from. Or relocate the Amp higher in the mountain of the M3 trunk...

Did you find any spot where the water is coming from ?
I'm experiencing the same issue..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:05 PM   #15
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1d3r View Post
Did you find any spot where the water is coming from ?
I'm experiencing the same issue..
My issue was related to taillight not being sealed against the body properly due to bodyshop breaking the studs to hold them against the body. Check gasket.
      01-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #16
Pedalkick
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

[QUOTE=tinpot;6867955]I have a 09 E92 M3 and I’m having an issue with water seeping into the car which has caused my amp to fry. In the below pic, is the gap between the trunk and the rear tail light normal? The pic is of my right tail light; the gap on the left tail light is smaller.

[/QUOTE

Shortly after buying my car I read a post on here where there was water in someones battery compartment. I checked and I did too. Couldn't find/reproduce the leak, however...

I drilled a small hole thru the floor of the battery compartment to let any water that does get in to drain out and not accumulate and short something out. I painted the hole edges to prevent rusting. I check now and then but no leaks since. I should probably do the left side too. I only did this as I had water leak in and couldn't find where.
Anyway, it may save electrical stuff as you don't want to have to check every time it rains or gets washed.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      01-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #17
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalkick View Post
Quote:
I have a 09 E92 M3 and I’m having an issue with water seeping into the car which has caused my amp to fry. In the below pic, is the gap between the trunk and the rear tail light normal? The pic is of my right tail light; the gap on the left tail light is smaller.

Shortly after buying my car I read a post on here where there was water in someones battery compartment. I checked and I did too. Couldn't find/reproduce the leak, however...

I drilled a small hole thru the floor of the battery compartment to let any water that does get in to drain out and not accumulate and short something out. I painted the hole edges to prevent rusting. I check now and then but no leaks since. I should probably do the left side too. I only did this as I had water leak in and couldn't find where.
Anyway, it may save electrical stuff as you don't want to have to check every time it rains or gets washed.
They have drain plugs on the left side, its covered by this black rubber/plastic piece. You can just pull that out, or put a tiny hole through it. They took mine out when my trunk got flooded.

As per the leak, have you tested with a hose to see where the water was coming from? I'm assuming you don't care anymore cause you poked the hole.

Last edited by ItsGary; 01-25-2019 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
Pedalkick
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
They have drain plugs on the left side, its covered by this black rubber/plastic piece. You can just pull that out, or put a tiny hole through it. They took mine out when my trunk got flooded.

As per the leak, have you tested with a hose to see where the water was coming from? I'm assuming you don't care anymore cause you poked the hole.
I definitely care.
I took off the trunk panels on the right side and used a hose to check.
I was pretty thorough as getting the panels off was a pia.

The car is covered when parked and I don't drive in the rain very often but it does get washed, still no sign of leaks.
I saw the water shortly after buying from the dealer. Maybe they weren't too careful when washing it.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50