BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #89
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

See my post (#69). I added pics of my DIY mount. MK1 in pics. I think I will modify it to reduct the weight - MK2 in the works
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #90
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My mount base is a high tech cellulose fiber and resin composite
      03-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #91
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Fancy way of saying duct tape?
      03-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #92
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i tried the rs-20, and unfortunately, i was plagued with problems. this battery would have been great since it is priced right, but i had a hell of a time getting the oem cables to hookup to the supplied SAE posts.
worked fine and i was happy until a few days later when the car would randomly not have any power. i was at the track when i started having problems with the car cutting power for a second and upshifting all the way to 7th gear.
they are a stand-up company with great customer service, but i don't think our car's battery management system likes these batteries.
my posts were too small for the oem cable, but mine did unscrew and i modified their SAE posts with a longer bolt to secure them as the original posts do from the factory.
Interesting.... I'll update once I get my rebuilt KW CS back
      03-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #93
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
i tried the rs-20, and unfortunately, i was plagued with problems. this battery would have been great since it is priced right, but i had a hell of a time getting the oem cables to hookup to the supplied SAE posts.
worked fine and i was happy until a few days later when the car would randomly not have any power. i was at the track when i started having problems with the car cutting power for a second and upshifting all the way to 7th gear.
they are a stand-up company with great customer service, but i don't think our car's battery management system likes these batteries.
my posts were too small for the oem cable, but mine did unscrew and i modified their SAE posts with a longer bolt to secure them as the original posts do from the factory.
Pretty sure I know the reason for your rs-20 problems.

I haven't confirmed what rs-20 uses for their BMS isolation.
but I expect that its based on electronic switching.

I was conversing with Tony at VPH and he confirmed that VPH use an electrical contactor for isolation switching in their BMS.

Contactor/relays provide absolute circuit isolation whereas electronic isolation is prone to current leakage.

We used to see this in the PLC control panels that we built.
Some brands of PLC output triacs would still fire an LED circuit indicator even when switched off.
We used to add relays to provide absolute isolation.

This also explains the added cost of the VPH batteries.

I just placed an order
Thanks guys for all the info here in this thread!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      03-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #94
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

I was conversing with Tony at VPH and he confirmed that VPH use an electrical contactor for isolation switching in their BMS.

Contactor/relays provide absolute circuit isolation whereas electronic isolation is prone to current leakage.

Some brands of PLC output triacs would still fire an LED circuit indicator even when switched off.

I just placed an order
when i picked up my voltphreaks battery, i had a brief talk with the owner (i think it was, can't remember) and he mentioned something like that and although i understood what we was explaining, i didn't remember enough of it to repeat it.
      04-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #95
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

I just placed an order
Well I have been driving around for a week now with the RS-20 and I dont notice anything off. 3 days at 90ah charging and so far 4 days coded to 40ah charging.

Will report back at end off month. Also have a track day coming up this month.
inTgr8r2425.50
      04-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #96
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post
Well I have been driving around for a week now with the RS-20 and I dont notice anything off. 3 days at 90ah charging and so far 4 days coded to 40ah charging.

Early update.

As roastbeef said the RS-20 doesnt work for the M3.

I tired to bed in my brakes last night and the ABS was malfunctioning cause me to lock up along with an abs error on the iDrive.
Swapped back to the OEM battery and the brakes bedded in without issue.
inTgr8r2425.50
tlrid3r513.50
      04-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #97
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Early update.

As roastbeef said the RS-20 doesnt work for the M3.

I tired to bed in my brakes last night and the ABS was malfunctioning cause me to lock up along with an abs error on the iDrive.
Swapped back to the OEM battery and the brakes bedded in without issue.
Did you speak with antigravity? Just got one of there battery. Wondering if it is shutting off on high voltage. Noticed the m3 was charging at 14.8 volts. Was hoping that would change once registered at lower ah.

Any updates
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #98
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Did you speak with antigravity? Just got one of there battery. Wondering if it is shutting off on high voltage. Noticed the m3 was charging at 14.8 volts. Was hoping that would change once registered at lower ah.

Any updates
I didnt speak with Anti Gravity since am not the only one with issues I just ditched it.
      04-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #99
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any updates
I didnt speak with Anti Gravity since am not the only one with issues I just ditched it.
I spoke with them before purchasing and I explained I would use it on the e9x m3. They mentioned it will work. I purchase the ATX30-rs. Which is the new series but very similar to the rs-20/30. Installed it yesterday and car started fine. Didn't run much since the brakes a getting refreshed for track. I'll report back. Crossing my figure. Or else I have to purchase a voltphreaks.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
eternallx252.00
      04-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #100
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with them before purchasing and I explained I would use it on the e9x m3. They mentioned it will work. I purchase the ATX30-rs. Which is the new series but very similar to the rs-20/30. Installed it yesterday and car started fine. Didn't run much since the brakes a getting refreshed for track. I'll report back. Crossing my figure. Or else I have to purchase a voltphreaks.
I hope their newer models works! $400 for the ATX30-RS is a huge savings over voltphreaks Let us know
tlrid3r513.50
      04-29-2018, 01:37 AM   #101
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i hope it works for you. i was very excited about the rs20 i tried, but i just don't think our cars liked the battery management system. i have to say, they are a stand up company with good customer service. i hope whatever the issue was gets squared away because dropping one of these into our cars as opposed to an oem replacement is a really good value, whether someone tracks or not.

roll around with your rear seats popped so you can get into the trunk easily if you come back to the car and it suddenly doesn't have power. my car was perfect for three days and only started acting weird at the track. you may want to consider bringing your oem battery to the track with you in case you need to change it out... if i understood what i have previously learned about these cars correctly, the alternator and electrical system runs differently when you're pushing the car (track conditions). i suspect it may have something to do with the problems i had.
      04-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #102
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i hope it works for you. i was very excited about the rs20 i tried, but i just don't think our cars liked the battery management system. i have to say, they are a stand up company with good customer service. i hope whatever the issue was gets squared away because dropping one of these into our cars as opposed to an oem replacement is a really good value, whether someone tracks or not.

roll around with your rear seats popped so you can get into the trunk easily if you come back to the car and it suddenly doesn't have power. my car was perfect for three days and only started acting weird at the track. you may want to consider bringing your oem battery to the track with you in case you need to change it out... if i understood what i have previously learned about these cars correctly, the alternator and electrical system runs differently when you're pushing the car (track conditions). i suspect it may have something to do with the problems i had.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to determine. The alternator turns off at full throttle and stops charging. It can be the bsm doesn't like that. Since at track there is many full throttle application. I hope antigravity sorted out that fact the bsm can take 14.4+ volts. Also I got a higher capacity (atx-30) maybe enough to run track with out dying. Hoping for the best. But I was reading a lot on the voltphreaks battery. I may go with that if doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #103
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to determine. The alternator turns off at full throttle and stops charging. It can be the bsm doesn't like that. Since at track there is many full throttle application. I hope antigravity sorted out that fact the bsm can take 14.4+ volts. Also I got a higher capacity (atx-30) maybe enough to run track with out dying. Hoping for the best. But I was reading a lot on the voltphreaks battery. I may go with that if doesn't work.
i forgot to mention, make sure you get SAE posts... the rs20 didn't come with them and you'll need them. i also had to modify the SAE posts i got from them. i just put them in a vice and drilled out the center to bolt them to the battery. not a big deal. not sure if the rs30 addresses this.
      04-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #104
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

04-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #105
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Meanwhile the Voltphreaks battery in my car is about to kick off year 2... no free lunch? I'm as surprised as the next person I was expecting this to be an expensive and short-lived experiment for a car that's 99% street. But I wasn't scared because I bought the correct year so I can use my key to get in the trunk if the battery's dead.

Glad that there is competition seeping into this market though, almost all cars sold new have some sort of condition-based charging now, including common performance cars like the Murderstang. Hopefully it will drive price down and we can all stop replacing lead acid batteries every 2 years, lol
      05-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #106
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Not trying to thread jack, so lets remember this is about Voltphreaks battery, but this is just a comparison for member to make a educated choice.

I created a full mounting system solution for the battery and I'm using a Antigravity ATX-30rs. So I had no trouble with mounting. I can share CAD module if anyone like to use it.

designed a holder and resigned the power distribution fuse block.
see below:
using 3D printed parts. capable of holding a 35lbs battery

IMG_1130

IMG_1131

IMG_1141

IMG_1143

IMG_1175

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25k4ghH]IMG_1180[/url
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #107
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Rad
      05-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #108
Gbiz
Fo Shizzle
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Not trying to thread jack, so lets remember this is about Voltphreaks battery, but this is just a comparison for member to make a educated choice.

I created a full mounting system solution for the battery and I'm using a Antigravity ATX-30rs. So I had no trouble with mounting. I can share CAD module if anyone like to use it.

see below:

IMG_1130

IMG_1131

IMG_1141
This looks awesome. What's the chance you could make another setup like this and sell it?!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #109
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbizzle View Post
Quote:

see below:
This looks awesome. What's the chance you could make another setup like this and sell it?!
I can share the CAD drawing I made but I can't make extras. I used my works tools. With the drawings any 3D printer shop or machine shop can make them for you.

Last edited by tlrid3r; 05-04-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #110
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

I just got my VPH-850 and Tony was an awesome resource to speak with before I ordered too! I will give the velcro strap a try before I take a dive into fabbing up a legit bracket. Does any one have dimensions of the base they could share?
Appreciate 0