BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #45
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
GORDON.M3 in his post above, he was able to remove the side gasket without dropping the transmission

I also have slight leak from the side gasket but I am still debating whether to tackle it myself or just live with it since it is not easy to do as the pan gasket.
I'm not 100% sure if the transmission was lowered or tilted as I wasn't there watching the whole thing my mechanic friend helped me with the gasket change. But from what deansbimmer had mentioned before, its possible that the transmission might have to be tilted to reach, but the whole transmission was not dropped out. I don't have photos of the exact tools he used but indeed the transmission did not have to be dropped.
M3_Legend350.50
      09-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #46
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
I'm not 100% sure if the transmission was lowered or tilted as I wasn't there watching the whole thing my mechanic friend helped me with the gasket change. But from what deansbimmer had mentioned before, its possible that the transmission might have to be tilted to reach, but the whole transmission was not dropped out. I don't have photos of the exact tools he used but indeed the transmission did not have to be dropped.
For tilting, you still need to slightly drop the transmission. I think I will just leave the side gasket alone in this case and live with it. Pan gasket leak is in much worse condition anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #47
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For tilting, you still need to slightly drop the transmission. I think I will just leave the side gasket alone in this case and live with it. Pan gasket leak is in much worse condition anyways.
My case was the opposite. The pan gasket was dry but the mechatronics gasket was leaking getting the pan all wet.
      09-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #48
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You don't need to think about proper temp. If your car was parked overnight in ambient 50~86F, then don't start engine and jack your car. After doing all work, fill fluid, start engine, fill fluid again, and close the hole with the plug. that's it. There is no need to check temp. DCT is not as sensitive as everyone think.
I'm using Red line DCTF, +1 liter and aftermarket performance pan without any problem.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.

Last edited by maicol76; 09-07-2018 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #49
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Does this kit contain everything needed to perform the service? If you say, it is hard to fill it enough, can use of some pressure filler help filling it correctly?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...QaAmB_EALw_wcB

Also, for mechatronic side gasket, is this all is needed? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/28607842856/

Or do I need the cover as well?
No need for the cover, your original cover should be fine if you clean it up.
      09-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #50
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
You don't need to think about proper temp. If your car was parked overnight in ambient 50~86F, then don't start engine and jack your car. After doing all work, fill fluid, start engine, fill fluid again, and close the hole with the plug. that's it. There is no need to check temp. DCT is not as sensitive as everyone think.
I'm using Red line DCTF, +1 liter and aftermarket performance pan without any problem.
Starting the car is fine also.
The best DCTF fluid, if you are not using OEM, is Motul DCTF.
My friend has had troubles with Liquimoly DCT fluid.
      09-08-2018, 02:49 AM   #51
M3_Legend
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 & E91

Great stuff. My dct has 75,000 on it I guess it's time to do the same maintenance.
2008 E90 335I 6 Speed Black Sapphire M-sport sold
2006 E53 X5 Black Sapphire sold
2011 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2006 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2007 E91 Black sapphire 6 Speed Manuel current
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 03:26 AM   #52
maicol76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks for good info. I'm using Red line DCTFs on my track only car for 3 years. As a result of my searching the spec of most DCTF on the market, I choose a Redline. Since using it, the hesitation of shifting has decreased at the track. So I keep using it. If I have a chance, I will consider Motul as well.
2011 LCI W/DCT / K&N drop in filter / CSF radiator / do88 oil cooler / do88 DCT cooler / Akra Evo / Moton CS 2 way coilover / Wiechers strut bar(F) / ARC strut bar(R) / Alcon Superkit BBK / Tarox rotor / Geoff steel EHPS / Sard carbon-Kevlar GT wing / GT4 carnard / Aim Evo4+G-dash+GT Steering+S/C GP HD / Bride Zeta3 / etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #53
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Does this kit contain everything needed to perform the service? If you say, it is hard to fill it enough, can use of some pressure filler help filling it correctly?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...QaAmB_EALw_wcB

Also, for mechatronic side gasket, is this all is needed? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/28607842856/

Or do I need the cover as well?
No need for the cover, your original cover should be fine if you clean it up.
Thanks! Is that the gasket i need though?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #54
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for good info. I'm using Red line DCTFs on my track only car for 3 years. As a result of my searching the spec of most DCTF on the market, I choose a Redline. Since using it, the hesitation of shifting has decreased at the track. So I keep using it. If I have a chance, I will consider Motul as well.
Interesting! What do you mean by spec and how is it better than OEM fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #55
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Redline transmission oils are great also. Highly recommended in the BMW enthusiast groups.

Quote:
Thanks! Is that the gasket i need though?
If you are trying to do the mechtronics gasket. YES.
      09-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #56
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What issues did your friend have with liqui moly 8100 DCT fluid? I have seen some members using it without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #57
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What issues did your friend have with liqui moly 8100 DCT fluid? I have seen some members using it without any issues.
shifting issues... and the car performed pretty crappy at the track when it got warmed warmed up. He is a BMW mechanic, and he switched over to Motul after for all his client's cars and personal car.
whatever you want to go with go ahead but I personally stuck to OEM pentosin.
      09-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #58
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
shifting issues... and the car performed pretty crappy at the track when it got warmed warmed up. He is a BMW mechanic, and he switched over to Motul after for all his client's cars and personal car.
whatever you want to go with go ahead but I personally stuck to OEM pentosin.
That's definitely interesting to know. Is his issue completely gone after changing to Motul?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #59
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's definitely interesting to know. Is his issue completely gone after changing to Motul?
apparently yes, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone else on the forum who was planning to do the DCT fluid change.