BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #67
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #68
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

One question for DCT drivers,

How does down shift rev-matching work in DCT? Is it automatic?

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #69
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
One question for DCT drivers,

How does down shift rev-matching work in DCT? Is it automatic?
Yes as long as you are in S4 or higher. It's funny to watch peoples reaction when it happens ...........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #70
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
6MT is more fun and involved for those of us who still love driving
BS as usual.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 04-18-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #71
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Yes as long as you are in S4 or higher. It's funny to watch peoples reaction when it happens ...........Phil
Again, I respect DCT as the faster tranny but rev matching is something I love doing it by myself. So changing gears in 6MT is definitely more involving than DCT.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #72
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
. So changing gears in 6MT is definitely more involving than DCT.
FOR YOU.
Jesus how hard is it for some of knuckleheads to understand.
The MT maybe more involving FOR YOU but its NOT A UNIVERSAL TRUISM.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #73
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
FOR YOU.
Jesus how hard is it for some of knuckleheads to understand.
The MT maybe more involving FOR YOU but its NOT A UNIVERSAL TRUISM.
YES I AM GIVING MY OPINION,
TAKE IT EASY!!!

Some people ....

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #74
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Take one of the offers to teach to drive your 6MT properly and your enjoyment will go through the roof. You need to learn to make smooth, on-the-street, upshifts in traffic (most people don't use enough revs and shift too soon), match revs on down-shifts, learn to heel-and-toe so that you can down-shift while braking and, finally, if you get serious, learn to double-clutch to make "perfect" shifts with no need for synchros and no stress on the tranny. (Double-clutch does put more stress on the throwout and pilot bearings).

I've been doing all those things for decades, but chose the 6MT over the DCT only because I think it's got superior autocross gearing, particularly with my 4.10 final drive. I drove BMW's DCT M3 at VIR in 2009 and had a blast. It's really neat to trail brake from 145-mph down to 50-mph or so while making a couple of perfect downshifts with the DCT. It's also a blast going up the esses and not having to worry if an upshift will mess up the fine balance of the car. If I were a road racer rather an an AXer, then I'd chose the DCT.

As a daily drive, I prefer the 6MT. BTW, in suburban comute traffic, realize that you've got 8400-rpm and running in the 3000 to 4000 range in 1st and 2d is where the engine likes to run. Try doing that and getting smooth enough with the throttle that you hardly touch the brakes except to come to a total stop. That'll greatly refine your throttle control and make for a smoother drive.

Consider that driving a MT is a vanishing skill in your generation. Yes, you may have reason to go to DCT in the future, but use this car as an opportunity to become highly skilled with an MT. It's a life skill that's likely to come in handy sometime in your future.

Dave

Last edited by dcstep; 04-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: added thought
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #75
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
YES I AM GIVING MY OPINION,
TAKE IT EASY!!!
Then don't write "6MT is definitely more involving than DCT" as if its a fact.
These threads always end you the same way because every numbskull and his brother has to validate his choice of transmission by trying to make out its the best choice, the choice of proper drivers or it its more involving or some other flavour of crap.
One isn't better than the other, its simply personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #76
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
These threads always end you the same way because every numbskull and his brother has to validate his choice of transmission by trying to make out its the best choice, the choice of proper drivers or it its more involving or some other flavour of crap.
One isn't better than the other, its simply personal choice.
READ ALL THE POSTS IN THE THREAD! VVVV

Quote:
I think most of the 6MT owners know that DCT is a GREAT technology and it is FASTER! There is absolutely no debate about this. if you read most of the posts here, 6MT drivers even mentioned it. 6MT is more involving and more fun (again, it is my personal opinion from someone who learned driving manual in an M3).
At the end, both of them are great!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #77
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Wow, the DCT-police have arrived.

Don't dare say how much fun the 6MT is to drive.
      04-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #78
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
6MT is more involving and more fun (again, it is my personal opinion from someone who learned driving manual in an M3).
At the end, both of them are great!
Fair enough...I skipped through a lot of posts because they were by and large the usual nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #79
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

6mt ftw
      04-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #80
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Wow, the DCT-police have arrived.

Don't dare say how much fun the 6MT is to drive.
Word. Just as you can't change to morons from the 6MT side you can't change the DCT Side. I hate listening to the stupid posts from the 6MT side, at the same time the DCT police are no better. The fact that the dct as an automatic mode and can be driven by my wife or ANYONE is what kills it for me. That was the one thing I loved about the 1M, 6MT only. Hell the GT3 is worshiped here...what transmission is offered on that car?

Just so everyone is clear, I respect the DCT, I think it is a cool transmission with some amazing tech...but please don't preach to me that you are as involved with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #81
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Why are some people so insecure about their transmission choice? Who cares! We don't really even know each other. We are just usernames on a forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #82
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Why are some people so insecure about their transmission choice? Who cares! We don't really even know each other. We are just usernames on a forum.
lol... nice.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #83
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
Word. Just as you can't change to morons from the 6MT side you can't change the DCT Side. I hate listening to the stupid posts from the 6MT side, at the same time the DCT police are no better. The fact that the dct as an automatic mode and can be driven by my wife or ANYONE is what kills it for me. That was the one thing I loved about the 1M, 6MT only. Hell the GT3 is worshiped here...what transmission is offered on that car?Just so everyone is clear, I respect the DCT, I think it is a cool transmission with some amazing tech...but please don't preach to me that you are as involved with the car.
Sorry to dissapoint you!! 2012 GT3 will have PDK
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rop-200-pounds
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #84
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Let's see: click a paddle with your finger (at the most), or depress clutch, move gear lever to appropriate gate, then release clutch, all in a smooth and coordinated matter. Oh yeah, clicking the paddle is more involved . Can't get more BS than that: not admitting the obvious. One more to the ignore list.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #85
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Can't the 6MT owners and DCT owners just be friends?!

OP, keep your 6MT and learn to drive it. Take a course if you need too. I'm sure that by the end of it you will love your M3 for the beast that it is.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #86
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Sorry to dissapoint you!! 2012 GT3 will have PDK
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rop-200-pounds
Ehh I'm off work and already started drinking some good bier so my give a crap meter is pretty low.

As I've said many times I have nothing against the DCT, I know I end up with one in the future. My issue is the DCT police that try and tell me that they are as involved with their cars. The fact is, you are not. How many DCT owners on this thread already have already said that driving DCT is easier because you dont have to worry about shifting as much. Hmmm sounds less involving to me

Can't we just be honest. The 6MT is slower, older, but it is more involving and the people that pick the 6MT want that.

Interesting news about the GT3.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #87
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
Ehh I'm off work and already started drinking some good bier so my give a crap meter is pretty low.

As I've said many times I have nothing against the DCT, I know I end up with one in the future. My issue is the DCT police that try and tell me that they are as involved with their cars. The fact is, you are not. How many DCT owners on this thread already have already said that driving DCT is easier because you dont have to worry about shifting as much. Hmmm sounds less involving to meCan't we just be honest. The 6MT is slower, older, but it is more involving and the people that pick the 6MT want that.

Interesting news about the GT3.
Now that you are drinking beer and I have you in a good mood, please go back to page 4 of this thread and read my comment (#79 I believe) where I explain how DCT on the M3 makes the driver not just involved but very much so too. Trust me, I put 2000 miles/month on my M3 and shifting (not using my left foot thought) is what I do ALL THE TIME (That is if you want to drive this beast the way it was intended to be driven). Enjoy your beer
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #88
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
This thread needs to be the standard for how we discuss the differences in our cars. This is by far the best thread I think I've read and participated in where we share a different but respectable opinion ..........Phil
Damn this thread should've been lock 2 pages ago....well I guess it's the nature of the beast. Too bad it has taken a turn for the worst as usual. Op if you don't have enough opinions by now, shame on you. Everyone else relax ...................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0