BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

08-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #45
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Do you have the seat warmers in your car? If so, I don't see the buttons to turn them on.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #46
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
Do you have the seat warmers in your car? If so, I don't see the buttons to turn them on.
no I don't
      09-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #47
excitebike99
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Space Gray

Awesome ....

When I bought my M3, I opted out of the navi and iDrive so that I can go the route you just did. Very nice! Frankly, I have found that no factory-based navigation system worked as good as a cheap portable Garmin.

Great choice and execution, but just wondering what went into your choice of Eclipse versus Pioneer or Kenwood (with the Garmin-based navi)? With a few weeks of playing around with it, any further comments you wanted to add?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #48
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I'd go this route for an audio upgrade but NEVER for a navi unit. The screen is simply too low to be able to see easily and it's hard to keep your eyes anywhere near the road when you're staring at your center console. I was going to go this route with some Alpine F#1 Status gear but there still isn't anything that does everything iDrive does as well as iDrive does it so I'm just going to feed the iDrive outputs into my Audioson Bit One and go from there.

It does look really good was extremely well done though.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #49
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I'd go this route for an audio upgrade but NEVER for a navi unit. The screen is simply too low to be able to see easily and it's hard to keep your eyes anywhere near the road when you're staring at your center console. I was going to go this route with some Alpine F#1 Status gear but there still isn't anything that does everything iDrive does as well as iDrive does it so I'm just going to feed the iDrive outputs into my Audioson Bit One and go from there.
Granted, the position is not optimal but when I use navigation in my other cars I am rarely looking at the screen. It's dangerous to do even if you have the OEM iDrive navigation screen position. Best just to glance at it in safe conditions...
      09-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #50
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Agreed. I was just saying a higher position is safer. I really do like the work though. Can't wait to see the rest of the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #51
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

For me it is the optimal position. One of the main things I hate about iDrive is it's high location. I can't stand catching the screen out of the corner of my eye all the time, especially at night even if it's set to the dimmest setting. It also has voice, so once you have your destination set it will tell you when to turn so it's not necessary to look at the screen all the time. You can simply wait until it's safe and with the screen being 7" you can quickly glance and get the info you need from it safely. Also, as you can see the screen is slightly angled up. This is for two reasons, one because it had to fit under the heater vents, and two, it aims right at your face and makes it much easier to see.

Also, You have to look at the screen a lot less with this unit than you do iDrive because with the touch screen option it allows you to move through the menus much faster than iDrive does. It's also much simpler to use than iDrive.

One main reason I chose Eclipse is I had the previous version of this system in my last car and was used to it and really liked the way it worked. I considered some other options but without having any passed experience with them I decided to stick to what I know. The one thing that kinds sucks is the Eclipse won't read the phone book off my iPhone, not a big deal but would be cooler if it did. It will however read Blackberry phonebooks and many other phones too.
      09-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #52
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
For me it is the optimal position. One of the main things I hate about iDrive is it's high location. I can't stand catching the screen out of the corner of my eye all the time, especially at night even if it's set to the dimmest setting. It also has voice, so once you have your destination set it will tell you when to turn so it's not necessary to look at the screen all the time. You can simply wait until it's safe and with the screen being 7" you can quickly glance and get the info you need from it safely. Also, as you can see the screen is slightly angled up. This is for two reasons, one because it had to fit under the heater vents, and two, it aims right at your face and makes it much easier to see.

Also, You have to look at the screen a lot less with this unit than you do iDrive because with the touch screen option it allows you to move through the menus much faster than iDrive does. It's also much simpler to use than iDrive.

One main reason I chose Eclipse is I had the previous version of this system in my last car and was used to it and really liked the way it worked. I considered some other options but without having any passed experience with them I decided to stick to what I know. The one thing that kinds sucks is the Eclipse won't read the phone book off my iPhone, not a big deal but would be cooler if it did. It will however read Blackberry phonebooks and many other phones too.
I recall a setting to black out the idrive screen if no input is received from the driver. That would solve your issue about seeing the iDrive. As far as it being easier, I went from an Alpine touchscreen to iDrive and feel that the iDrive interface is much more intuitive once you get through the learning curve. I still have never encountered an aftermarket unit that can search through a USB flash drive as well as the OEM does.
      09-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #53
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I recall a setting to black out the idrive screen if no input is received from the driver. That would solve your issue about seeing the iDrive. As far as it being easier, I went from an Alpine touchscreen to iDrive and feel that the iDrive interface is much more intuitive once you get through the learning curve. I still have never encountered an aftermarket unit that can search through a USB flash drive as well as the OEM does.
even if you blackout the iDrive screen it doesn't actually shut off. It's still a lit screen which is in the corner of your eye.

I'm not sure how the Alpine interface is, but the Eclipse one is extremely easy to use.

Last edited by J08M3; 09-12-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #54
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

I'm almost done with my bracket for a double-din. I already offer one where the headunit is centered in the dash but you have to relocate the climate controls.
My second one will look very much like the one posted from Japan just a lot cheaper.
I went with the radio on the bottom, climate controls on top because I don't want to hack up my climate controls and/or dash to make the climate controls fit on the bottom.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #55
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep

One could relocate the oem radio to the trunk and not lose the gongs. All the parts needed are available.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=61&fg=15

You'd need parts 1, 5, 2, 3, 9, 11 to extend the optical connectors. Then just extend wires for the canbus, power/ground, wires for a small speaker to hear the gongs, etc.

If someone would put together a kit to relocate the HU I'm sure people would buy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #56
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

srcstc - looks good, show some more pics. where are your climate controls?
      10-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #57
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #58
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
srcstc - looks good, show some more pics. where are your climate controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309990

Video:
[/SIZE]

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #59
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

oh, excellent video.. i looked up the unit and his bluetooth parrot built in, excellent!

i've been reading a lot about this recently, and is there anything specific that you no don't have after this mod?

and in a similar vein, are after market head units 'do-able' with a logic7 system? i am hearing not, but am unclear on the reasons why..

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #60
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'm considering selling this unit along with custom mounting bracket, face plate with CF fabric, climate controls since they are now part of the faceplate and iPod connector. Simple plug and play swap for anyone if interested.

PM me some offers.... Also would like to trade climate controls and stock faceplate so I can put my car back together.
      10-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #61
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post

this stereo has bluetooth built in... it's no stumbling block.
      10-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

if anyone wants to get this?
      11-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #63
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #64
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
Yea, I had considered this option as well... Problem is the unit is way to low, especially all the buttons along the bottom of it. It becomes difficult to use and see that low.
      11-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #65
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Yea, I had considered this option as well... Problem is the unit is way to low, especially all the buttons along the bottom of it. It becomes difficult to use and see that low.
You can reach the buttons easily while your hand rests on the shifter. It's not difficult to use at all, or see.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #66
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
You can reach the buttons easily while your hand rests on the shifter. It's not difficult to use at all, or see.
Are you MT or DCT? I'm MT and it was too low with the shifter there right in front of it to mount like you did. It may be easier to use with DCT