BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

02-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #23
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Think about what city you have to work in versus where you live, a.k.a. your commute. Traffic is awful in the bay area during peak hours. Just awful. The further you have to drive the worse it is.

You can look at the BART lines and maybe pick a suburb city that is decent and commute in that way.

Personally, I would just get something in the city. There's nothing like the city. Some people say you need to make $303,000 a year to buy a median price house there. Totally worth it.
Only 1.5% of households in the U.S. make $303,000/year. Maybe double that percentage if we're talking about SF. By definition, 50% of households live in a house in SF that's worth the median or more.

People who say that have no idea what they're talking about. They're not even close.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #24
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
That's Richmond, VA. Here's the link to Richmond, CA: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/richmond/crime

and here's one for San Jose, CA for comparison: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/san-jose/crime

There are certain parts of Richmond to avoid, and there are also parts where even a $300k combined income family won't be able to afford.

Those places to avoid are:
Central Richmond (the other side is next to El Cerrito which is $$$$)
North Richmond (Danger level high, hitman on duty)
South Richmond (Danger level high, sniper on duty)
Montalvin

Medium to Upper-mid income areas:
Country Club
Hilltop District
Marina Bay Condos/Townhomes
Point Richmond
Richmond Hills
San Pablo Dam Rd (beautiful area towards the lake)

Millionaires Club
Marina Bay

Your detective neighbor was telling you the truth. However, Richmond's homicide tendencies are more targeted/isolated, and primarily contained within the Iron Triangle area. Whereas (East) Oakland's tendency is random, meaning anyone can get caught in the line of fire. Either way, many parts of the East Bay, especially Richmond is not a good place for softies, or those who aren't accustomed to being in a predominantly urban environment. This goes the same for several parts of San Francisco like Bayview, Hunter's Point, Tenderloin, Sunnydale, 3rd St/Mission St.

Your assessments on the rest of the East Bay cities are spot on, but a bit inaccurate for Hayward. Hayward also has a millionaire's club and middle to upper-middle class neighborhoods located in the hills off of HWY 580. What you saw was most likely the industrial side of Hayward.

To OP, you're committing roughly 40-43% of your net income to housing expenses with a $3500 budget. Keep in mind that CA state income tax is higher than MD. I work in the tech sector, and I've seen many colleagues come and go who thought that throwing their money away with a $3500-$4000 monthly rent is the only way to live safe and comfortably in the Bay Area. Some of them have since moved back to their home state, because they simply couldn't keep up with the stupid cost of living that they got themselves into.

My advice is to keep your options OPEN, and really get to see the area if it piques your interest. If renting is the only option, then below are some of the more affordable areas to look into that isn't too far from the city:

Concord (1+ hour BART)
Brisbane (next door to SF)
Daly City/Colma (20-25 mins BART)
El Sobrante (go towards the hills, parallel to Richmond)
Pacifica (35-40 mins BART)
Pinole (45-50 mins via 80W then BART)
Pleasant Hill (same as Concord)
Richmond (but not in the danger zone)
San Bruno (35-40 mins BART)
San Mateo (50-55 mins via 101N then BART)
South San Francisco (30 mins BART)
West Oakland (25-30 mins BART)

Good luck, and I hope you find this information somewhat useful. FWIW, the previous owner of my property in Richmond is a Corporate Controller for a Fortune 500 company based in the SF Financial District. He, unfortunately had to move back to Hercules (two cities away) to help his parents with a family situation.
It's definitely useful. We're both city dwellers right now but I want to move out to the burbs and rent a house and she wants to stay in the city so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. I'm not opposed to a 1hour commute via BART.

The research continues!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #25
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

Welcome to the Bay Area. The only good spot in Richmond is Point Richmond (near the water). The rest of it unfortunately isn't too good and dangerous. In terms of money, I use to be in high tech. $130K is equal to about $50K in most parts of the country. Your biggest expense will be housing. Houses that sells for $100K in most of the country will sell for about $500K here. The median house sells for $750K-$1M. Plan on a lot of driving in order to find a nice place at something of a reasonable price. Sorry for the news.
Appreciate 1
eluded2960.50
      02-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #26
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...472430013.html
Just saw this article about S.F.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #27
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Phoneposting links got me, yeah wrong Richmond.

we almost bought in Hayward hills but bought in the 'beverly hills' of SL instead after our realtor lied to us, lmao what a horrible mistake. Hayward might be known as 'the fart of the bay' but it's twice as safe, statistically as SL

I'm a big guy so I wasn't overly worried about SL but my wife is tiny so I got 2 protection trained dogs to keep her safe. The one day she goes out without them she gets assaulted by one of the shitbag crackheads down off Bayfair. Luckily she was ok, but that was it for the east bay, we now live in a super safe part of a state where you can carry a gun.

When we left our delusional neighbors were seriously asking the HOA if it could do something to stop home invasions and constant robberies, a real shame as apparently SL used to be the kind of place you could leave your door open back in the 70s
I lived in San Leandro from age 0 to 12 or so, then we moved. San Leandro was definitely in decline. My parents moved there in the early '70's

My business is in San Leandro, and they are doing a lot to clean it up. I would say the kick ins and crime peaked about 3 years ago, it seems to be getting better. My wife still calls San Leandro the ghetto, I have been the some terrible areas, this isn't one of them. That being said, I don't want to live in San Leandro, or send my kids to the schools.

San Leandro is an industrial town, 10 years from now I think it may be a pretty cool place. There is a craft brew scene growing, and like parts of Oakland and San Francisco, it is 'gentrifying'

I would take San Leandro over Richmond in a heartbeat, especially up in the hills where I grew up.

I still can't recommend moving to San Leandro, but definitely visit for the beer.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #28
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I live in Marin County and right now the rents are absurd. The recent North Bay fire has misplaced many families so not much is available, what is available is extremely over priced imo. The commute is only 20 minutes to SF from central Marin but be prepared to pay $4k to 6k in monthly rent for a decent house. The average cost to buy is 1 million here and the inventory is very low.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #29
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgood4u View Post
This is nothing new for me. Baltimore is pretty much the heroine capital of the world and there are so many bums that dump out anywhere they feel like it. Feel like if I dont see some needles or bums passed out it's not a typical day here lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I love the Bay Area and visit it frequently, but I could never live there. There's a reason why there's been a mass influx of techies to Seattle from the Bay. No state income taxes, and while home prices have risen like bonkers its still not close to Bay Area levels of ridiculousness.

I love California, but the only places I'd consider living are some of the LA suburbs or San Diego County. Still expensive, but not Bay Area expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I spent 4 days in SF in December and while I love the city, it's just nuts how dirty it is. The combination of lax drugs laws and mild, dry weather has made the place a magnet for hobos. You can't walk through any part of the city without smelling a mix of piss, sh*t, weed, and cigs.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
San Leandro is an industrial town, 10 years from now I think it may be a pretty cool place. There is a craft brew scene growing, and like parts of Oakland and San Francisco, it is 'gentrifying'

I would take San Leandro over Richmond in a heartbeat, especially up in the hills where I grew up.

I still can't recommend moving to San Leandro, but definitely visit for the beer.
Love me some Drake's beer!! One of those excellent craft brews from San Leandro...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #33
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Love me some Drake's beer!! One of those excellent craft brews from San Leandro...
we have Drakes, 21st Amendment, Faction if just across the bridge in Alameda, there are a couple more that nobody has heard of.

The city is putting in bike paths and trying to support this, which is kind of cool to see.

21st Amendment has a really cool tap room, its basically inside the warehouse/brewery they have games, a food truck etc. They also throw a party for themselves at the end of summer, they open up the whole place, live music, bouncys for the kids, a bunch of food trucks, limited release beers etc.
Appreciate 1
kscarrol8804.00
      02-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #34
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
I work in this area. You need to look down so you make sure not to step on something you don't want. Shit, piss, used needles etc.

Also, the drug dealers with back packs hang out here to service their clients. You see them hanging out along market street. There's usually a large group of them because they each carry a small amount. If one gets caught they can get off on minor possession charges. Also, the rest of the group can get away because they can't get all of them at once.

It's been like this for decades. I wouldn't say it's getting better or worse - it's just more noticeable because twitter, uber, square and some other tech companies have moved in to the most run down areas. The gentrification is clashing with the mix of homeless and druggies in the area.
      02-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #35
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
The problem with SL is it's going to be impossible to 'gentrify' the low income housing areas (and the city rulers love their HUD money) or the 580 access for shitbags to easily drive in and rob Bay O vista etc

We had an amazing view with 6 acres of open space in our backyard, but when we left that was being sold and 'examined for rezoning' lmao

The crime statistics do not show any improvement btw
I completely agree, the problem has always been the proximity to shittier areas. It is a shame, this place is geographically pretty awesome, and the weather is more comfortable here then just about anywhere else.

Were you up in the Bay-O-Vista area?
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #36
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

To borrow a phrase from Trump, the east bay is (mostly, but not entirely) a shithole

My friend’s dad has a mansion in the Hayward hills that’s pretty darn nice though
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #37
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I live in SF and work in the east and south bay.

It all depends on how you live and what you expect. What your current debt is. For 130k you could afford a 1 bedroom in the sunset in SF. ~45% of your income after taxes going toward rent. If you value being in the city then you can make it work.

Richmond CA, typically doesnt have the best reputation as parts of it are pretty shitty but like everywhere out here, there are nice areas. Just make sure you do you research and you land somewhere you want to live.

Berkeley and Oakland are great too. Close to the city, excellent restaurants and overall just great places to live with culture.

There are other cities around here that are further out. I see some people recommending some of those areas. While I see the value in them, I personally would not want to live outside of SF, Berkeley or Oakland for where I am in my life.

If you want a more settled suburban life, then there are many more options.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #38
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I have lived in San Mateo for 25 years and grew up in Sonoma.

One thing to consider is what kind of weather you like or can live with as the bay area is many different micro-climates. If you are fine with cooler, cloudier weather then areas such as South San Francisco, Daly City, San Bruno and even Pacifica might be an option as they have lower rents and are pretty close to downtown. I like warmer weather and it is amazing the difference in weather five minutes south of these places gives.

The East bay pretty much is warmer all the way around, but the traffic there is worse--and I'm not talking about the times in traffic as we have it bad everywhere. It's the drivers. Much more aggressive and more gangsters.

The areas over the hills such as Dublin are nice but the commute is not. As for Bart--it pretty much sucks. Dirty cars with a lot of homeless and punks. If you able to find a place on the Peninsula or even near San Jose, Cal train is a good option .

As for rents, there are opportunites--my brother in law rents a 4 bedroom house ( not large, probably around 1500sq ft) around the block from me for $3500. I live in the Shoreview part of San Mateo which is a quiet area with mostly families. You can walk down the street at midnight and not see a soul down out anywhere.

As for SF, once again full of microclimates with some areas being suburban like and others city-like.
      02-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #39
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
To borrow a phrase from Trump, the east bay is (mostly, but not entirely) a shithole

My friend’s dad has a mansion in the Hayward hills that’s pretty darn nice though
The east bay is huge and extremely diverse. Berkeley and Oakland are extremely different than Dublin / Pleasanton / Fremont / Union city which are all very different than Richmond /Martinez etc. It all just depends what you are looking for and obviously can afford.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      02-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #40
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post

Yeah the Hayward and Oakland hills are nice--the problem is where you have to drive to get to these places.
      02-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #41
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
The east bay is huge and extremely diverse. Berkeley and Oakland are extremely different than Dublin / Pleasanton / Fremont / Union city which are all very different than Richmond /Martinez etc. It all just depends what you are looking for and obviously can afford.
Richmond and Martinez are good if you like refinery smell.
      02-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #42
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info guys! This is good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #43
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Op,

Lots of good advise from people who live in the area, The wife and I live in Silicon Valley back in the 80's and 90's before it got really nuts. However housing costs were going up faster than pay raises during that time as well. So it is always harder do get into a house once you are renting since it hard to save, all the costs in the SF area are higher. If you feel you need to do it, keep this in mind since it was what we did.

Your main housing choose will be, live close to work (short commute), have smaller place, pay higher rent or mortgage and most likely have little spend money at the end of day. If you have any ambition you can always make more money. The other option, bigger place, more of yard, lower rent/mortgage/ long commute extra cash in your pocket, but no play time to spend the money since you spend so much time commuting.

The wife and I chose the short commute since you can always make more money, but you can not make more time. Lots of people we knew choose the bigger place and long commute, then realize their lives sucked and they were stuck.

We bought in the heart of the Silicon Valley, a small townhouse, We borrow money from our parents and I sold stock options to get the down payment. Our commute was 20 minutes to work, but we lived less than 10 miles from work and we drove mostly highway to give you and idea and today it is 10x as worse from what I have been told and the last time I was out there about 5 yrs ago.

Also here is the downside of how nice it is to live in SF and the bay area.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-union-square/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...ver-Oakland-86

I can tell you, back in the 80's they had a homeless problem, I grew up on the east coast and spent time in cities like, Pittsburgh, Philly and NYC, there were homeless but most were bums. To the wife's and my surprise, homeless in the Bay area were entire families, can not tell you how many times we saw a family with kids huddle up in a entryway of a build in SF. Very sad and from what I have been reading lately it is way worse now. Just something to consider.

Also, over the last 10 yrs California lost 600K of people moving out of the state and I read that SF lost 29K just in the last year. People do not seem to be moving in anymore.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-21-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
      02-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #44
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Only 1.5% of households in the U.S. make $303,000/year. Maybe double that percentage if we're talking about SF.
Nope, 8 times (~12%)
Appreciate 0