BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #45
MOTOMC
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3 ZCP

Boof. Great ride. Don’t rule out nc 226a or shady valley 181 in tenn (the snake) I believe is the other great one. Brings back memories of the motorcycle days. Although both are a few hours east, but all great roads in western nc.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #46
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOMC View Post
Boof. Great ride. Don’t rule out nc 226a or shady valley 181 in tenn (the snake) I believe is the other great one. Brings back memories of the motorcycle days. Although both are a few hours east, but all great roads in western nc.
Duly noted for discussion closer to the drive date, thank you. So can we pencil you in? Easy Peasy drive for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #47
MOTOMC
Rep

As the dates are closer I can see how it looks. Sounds like a blast and would love to join if possible. Tail of the dragon is a buck list experience. My work schedule is unpredictable this far out. Weather could be 75 and sunny or cold and nasty that time of year. I’ve been boating on thanksgiving around here.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #48
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOMC View Post
As the dates are closer I can see how it looks. Sounds like a blast and would love to join if possible. Tail of the dragon is a buck list experience. My work schedule is unpredictable this far out. Weather could be 75 and sunny or cold and nasty that time of year. I’ve been boating on thanksgiving around here.
Ah ok, I recall your purchase now and talk about exhaust. You sir have been penciled in. What a great list we have going.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #49
MOTOMC
Rep

You got it! I think I have my exhaust figured out. A good local buddy of mine just totaled his 2013 e92 zcp with 4K miles on it on Saturday. He is physically fine. Car saved his life. Heartbroken about the car. I’m buying his fab speed x pipe and mufflers. Seems to be the only straight part of the car. So if I can make it, the s65 will be singing through the hills.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #50
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Good times. In my OP I copy and pasted something from the Tail of the Dragon website about Devils Triangle Moonshiner 28 and other touring roads. Hoping to to able to ride whatever will make it the best ride on a Sunday morning. Maybe run dragons tail early A.M. get some breakfast then set out again for another ride. Lots to talk and think about. I'll PM you tomorrow. Maybe exchange emails. I'm just realizing that Dreamtime is Mary. Hi Mary, I'm thinking this is going to be a memorable day, I can sense it.
Hey! I have been meaning to hit Tail of the Dragon, and/or other equally awesome roads in that area. Plus, I'm always happy to make new M3 friends. I have put this on my calendar, super excited!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #51
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Boof.... I may join in! Got to check with the wife if she will be able to get away from work or not. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it. I'm actually heading to Maggie valley this weekend with bmw cca for a mountain drive.

i ran the dragon 2 years ago and it was not to busy with traffic. Got some good pics of my car from killboy.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #52
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get lit View Post
Boof.... I may join in! Got to check with the wife if she will be able to get away from work or not. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it. I'm actually heading to Maggie valley this weekend with bmw cca for a mountain drive.

i ran the dragon 2 years ago and it was not to busy with traffic. Got some good pics of my car from killboy.
Penciled in. The wife can get off of work, that will not be a problem
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #53
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
Tail of the Dragon is good if you want professional quality photos of your car with a cool background. Other than that, it's 35 mph, heavily patrolled and cluttered with Harley baggers going 28 mph.

Hwy 32 located close to Hartford, TN accesable from I-40 and dead ends at the NC state line is unpatrolled, insane twisty and you can ride/drive as fast as you want.

"The Snake" - Shady Valley, TN has great roads running in 3 different directions. There is a cool Country Store there and again, great twisty roads, freshly black topped, unpatrolled and fun!

"Diamond Back" at Little Switzerland, NC is a short twisty road that's fun, but exploring the roads just NW of that area - specifically 226A north of Hwy 19 is a thrill. Be sure to stop at Bonnie and Clyde's Drive In on Hwy 226 for some good food!

We hit "The Dragon", but it's too main stream now...there are better places to ride/drive close by!
Rd 32 is spectacular isn't it!? The Harley guys will mostly be gone by late November at the dragon luckily. Unless we get an unseasonably warm weekend it's a good time to go. That road is pretty unbearable from May through October though.

Regarding cops, I got my first ticket there this spring. The road is actually all 30 mph and I was doing 50. Cost $267! I've been to it probably 30 times over the years and it's the first ticket I've gotten. Done some stupid stuff too. But this time I was the only car on the road and not even going hard. Go figure.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:03 AM   #54
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.67]
Yeah. Back in the 90s, the speed limit was 55...

Tennessee is pissed that they get no revenue from all the travel on that road, so they heavily patrol it. Once you get on the N.C. side, you will never see any cops.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #55
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I have to imagine whatever we do will be a spirited time. I see a lot of people are talking of bringing their families, so I'm curious just how spirited we're trying to go? I take my car through the twisties, the road courses, autoX, so I'm all for it. But I ask because I'd like to make a trip of it for my girlfriend and I instead of a bachelor run... poor girl can't take the quick ones unfortunately! Didn't know if the Recaro child seats were an indication of the speeds!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #56
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I have to imagine whatever we do will be a spirited time. I see a lot of people are talking of bringing their families, so I'm curious just how spirited we're trying to go? I take my car through the twisties, the road courses, autoX, so I'm all for it. But I ask because I'd like to make a trip of it for my girlfriend and I instead of a bachelor run... poor girl can't take the quick ones unfortunately! Didn't know if the Recaro child seats were an indication of the speeds!
Like I said for me, my 10 year old came with us on a local run in Florida, hit some rural like country roads, he loved every minute of it. He actually hopped into another drivers 2001 M-Roadster convertible and loved that also. I wouldn't say we were taking any risks but it wa 7am on a Sunday, the roads were open, but tight and hilly and we were certainly pushing it. But that was only four vehicles and if a bend in the road could physically be taken at 80mph pushing it to the max we were probably going at 60mph, well below what the cars could do but certainly fast enough to keep both hands on the wheel. I can't imagine speeds coming close to that on our trip due to the 35mph speed limits, possible wet roads and so many cars being involved. I'm sure this trip will be somewhat controlled as it appears there could be upwards of 20 cars. The last thing anyone wants is vehicles breaking down, being harassed by the police and rightfully so if we act like douches or an accident. I say we have Mary "Dreamtime" lead the way as she is our resident race car driver now and should be able to keep the boys under control. But hey, if we do decide on Shenandoah and the speed limits are a bit higher than 35mph I'm sure there will be moments of "breakouts". I say bring the family, rent a cabin and make this an eventful trip.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #57
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Like I said for me, my 10 year old came with us on a local run in Florida, hit some rural like country roads, he loved every minute of it. He actually hopped into another drivers 2001 M-Roadster convertible and loved that also. I wouldn't say we were taking any risks but it wa 7am on a Sunday, the roads were open, but tight and hilly and we were certainly pushing it. But that was only four vehicles and if a bend in the road could physically be taken at 80mph pushing it to the max we were probably going at 60mph, well below what the cars could do but certainly fast enough to keep both hands on the wheel. I can't imagine speeds coming close to that on our trip due to the 35mph speed limits, possible wet roads and so many cars being involved. I'm sure this trip will be somewhat controlled as it appears there could be upwards of 20 cars. The last thing anyone wants is vehicles breaking down, being harassed by the police and rightfully so if we act like douches or an accident. I say we have Mary "Dreamtime" lead the way as she is our resident race car driver now and should be able to keep the boys under control. But hey, if we do decide on Shenandoah and the speed limits are a bit higher than 35mph I'm sure there will be moments of "breakouts". I say bring the family, rent a cabin and make this an eventful trip.
That's the goal. I've got it set where I have the entirety of that week off from work, but I don't really have anything necessarily set up (other than taking a break from these long weeks!). If we can get a cabin set up and everything, I think we can make a good time. If anything, she can hold down the fort for a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #58
3Pedals_6Speeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Absolutely take the E93. That's a no brainer IMO. With the top down you get so much more sound from the V8 than you do with the coupe. It's not like you're going to a racetrack and will need the slight performance edge of the coupe. The open air and the V8 sound echoing from the hills will beat the snot out of the coupe experience.
Did the Dragon in my S2000 not long ago and if you haven't done it before, the illusion that you're going to be tail out going around corners pushing it really hard are sadly wrong. There's too much traffic there, and even if there wasn't going over the center line can have HUGE negative impacts if that's the moment a motorcyclist happens along and you kill them. Enjoy the fun, the great scenery, drop the top and stay on your side and you'll have an absolute ball.

Last edited by 3Pedals_6Speeds; 10-04-2017 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-05-2017, 02:14 AM   #59
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Have fun and be safe everyone. Wish I could drive down there again, did it back in 2011 as soon as I got my brand new 335i and had a blast. What I didn't like was the drive down and back up to NY, if I lived closer I'd do it again. But I would love to go back someday.

Also, the locals there really know how to drive. I got dusted by a old wrangler, couldn't keep up and eventually lost them lol.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #60
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Putting you down as an honorary rider. I bumped your three musketeers photo shoot thread. You guys need to get together for an updated shoot.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #61
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
Have fun and be safe everyone. Wish I could drive down there again, did it back in 2011 as soon as I got my brand new 335i and had a blast. What I didn't like was the drive down and back up to NY, if I lived closer I'd do it again. But I would love to go back someday.

Also, the locals there really know how to drive. I got dusted by a old wrangler, couldn't keep up and eventually lost them lol.
Funny you say that. Last fall I followed a couple guys on the dragon that could obviously drive. One had a GTR and the other had a modded out X3. Same vehicle my daughter got for her first car! Maybe 2006-7 model. Except this one was slammed with monster tires and sounded like a harrier jet. Had a shop sticker on the rear window but can't remember the name. The gtr left us both in the dust by an impressive margin but the real surprise is that I could just barely keep up with the x3. I had to use 1&2 much more than usual and pushed it as hard as I ever had and simply couldn't make up any ground on him. Very impressive vehicle.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #62
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

We did the Dragon in November a couple of years ago with about 50 of our closest BMWCC friends. It was absolutely a blast with the top down and Borla's screaming. However, I will suggest you take some time and warm those tires up. We stayed at the Fontana Resort, at the bottom, and started out early. It was cold in the morning, but did warm up nicely. Just know that in 40 deg weather, those MPSS' are like riding around on rocks until they heat up. We had a Camaro ZL1 tagging along that almost learned that the hard way.

As far as traffic, it really wasn't that bad. The nice thing is that it was too chilly for motorcycles, so we didn't see many. Watch some youTube videos and you'll see why that can be a problem! I had one police officer who waved at me when I was hittin it pretty hard around a curve. He was out of his car and talking to one of the photographers that was set-up on the corner. He yelled, "make sure you stay in your lane..." LOL

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #63
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestm3 View Post
We did the Dragon in November a couple of years ago with about 50 of our closest BMWCC friends. It was absolutely a blast with the top down and Borla's screaming. However, I will suggest you take some time and warm those tires up. We stayed at the Fontana Resort, at the bottom, and started out early. It was cold in the morning, but did warm up nicely. Just know that in 40 deg weather, those MPSS' are like riding around on rocks until they heat up. We had a Camaro ZL1 tagging along that almost learned that the hard way.

As far as traffic, it really wasn't that bad. The nice thing is that it was too chilly for motorcycles, so we didn't see many. Watch some youTube videos and you'll see why that can be a problem! I had one police officer who waved at me when I was hittin it pretty hard around a curve. He was out of his car and talking to one of the photographers that was set-up on the corner. He yelled, "make sure you stay in your lane..." LOL
So you're saying that we can expect to see you at this run too then?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #64
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Unfortunately, I will have my Durango R/T loaded with the family at a cabin in Gatlinburg that weekend. Kills me that I'll be so close, but my wife already has filled the schedule for our lil' vaca to TN. Next time...

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #65
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, I will have my Durango R/T loaded with the family at a cabin in Gatlinburg that weekend. Kills me that I'll be so close, but my wife already has filled the schedule for our lil' vaca to TN. Next time...
Whaaaat? It's perfect timing. You have to come even in the Durango. Durango/Dragon hmm. We will be in Gatlinburg at some point. Let's PM and swap numbers at least to say hello for a few min. Sorry about your vert sale falling through, that ESS-575 would have been cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #66
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any chance you were chasing me a couple months back in said Durango? I was on my way home from Nashville in the E90 and I had an R/T with Ohio plates that was tagging alongside me for a while to egg me on for 8400 noise Guy's son was giving me some thumbs up and such as I got off to a rest stop.
Appreciate 0