BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 alpine white/fox red

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Throttle actuator Gears

1- Has any body used these gears?
2- any info on what gears to use?
3- Are metal gears safe ? I don't know if the wearing of the gears would cause metal to get into the electrical component.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick//M3 View Post
1- Has any body used these gears?
2- any info on what gears to use?
3- Are metal gears safe ? I don't know if the wearing of the gears would cause metal to get into the electrical component.
i've not seen any posts about them, I hope they are inexpensive and readily available. I hope an American company develops a fix as well.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like they are from England, doubt they will be cheap.

These are the ones i plan to use when I need them:
http://www.odometergears.com/product...+E92+06-13/160
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

I have those gears in one of my actuators and I have the odometer gears in the other actuator. They are actually easier to install because the gears come mounted on a shaft already which is the hardest part of the odometers gears install. I will say the odometer gears felt a hair smoother when I worked the actuator arm by hand after installation though. On the circle gear, one of the screws came loose the first time I assembled it and got stuck in the gears!...So I took it all apart loctited those suckers in there. They aren't going anywhere now. The odometers have no screws that can come loose at least. So far so good with both sets of gears. I did them preventatively before any codes showed up and I am glad I did cuz my gears would almost dead after just 40k miles. Although, it's only been a couple of months and 3k miles since I installed them. put a little silicone wet lube on the shaft, roller bearings and gear teeth before I assembled everything too.

Also there is a pretty extensive threat on throttle actuators in the dyi section.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Looks like they are from England, doubt they will be cheap.

These are the ones i plan to use when I need them:
http://www.odometergears.com/product...+E92+06-13/160
They were actually $99 each which isn't bad . If you go to their website they are based in England, but they're also selling on eBay ,shipping out of Virginia.

This is what they have to say about them
Brand:
i6 AUTOMOTIVE
Problem:
The gears inside the BMW throttle actuator become worn down. This causes too much play in the gears reducing its functionality. Suitable for : Any S85 or S65 Engine BMW Number 13627838085 / 13627834494 PLEASE NOTE THAT EACH VEHICLE HAS 2 ACTUATORS. It is recommended to replace both at the same time. This listing is for one actuator repair kit.
Symptoms:
Whilst driving your vehicle will go into limp mode with an EML come on in the centre with a DSC failure and start assist failure.There are no associated fault codes with this symptom. And give these codes : 2B15 - Throttle valve actuator 2B57 - Limp mode active 5E19 - DSC-DME communication
Fault Codes:
N/A
Solution:
Using our 50 years in manufacturing experience we have made the perfect gears. We have manufactured a set of gears from stronger materials that should have been used originally. Brass on plastic is a perfect combination for gear wear, it reduces wear significantly compared to plastic on plastic like the original, whilst more expensive, it is a far better solution to your M engine! We have also manufactured a replacement shaft and pre fitted the gears meaning less work for the mechanic!
Kit Contents:
N/A
Fitment information for
BMW S85 S65
Part numbers for Hitachi Compressors:
N/A
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
They were actually $99 each which isn't bad . If you go to their website they are based in England, but they're also selling on eBay ,shipping out of Virginia.
Do you have a link? I couldn't find anything.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer20 View Post
I have those gears in one of my actuators and I have the odometer gears in the other actuator. They are actually easier to install because the gears come mounted on a shaft already which is the hardest part of the odometers gears install. I will say the odometer gears felt a hair smoother when I worked the actuator arm by hand after installation though. On the circle gear, one of the screws came loose the first time I assembled it and got stuck in the gears!...So I took it all apart loctited those suckers in there. They aren't going anywhere now. The odometers have no screws that can come loose at least. So far so good with both sets of gears. I did them preventatively before any codes showed up and I am glad I did cuz my gears would almost dead after just 40k miles. Although, it's only been a couple of months and 3k miles since I installed them. put a little silicone wet lube on the shaft, roller bearings and gear teeth before I assembled everything too.

Also there is a pretty extensive threat on throttle actuators in the dyi section.
That's what I was thinking easier install, and I'm doing the same with a preventative . I just hit 35,000 miles, and I'm looking take care of it before I burn out the electronics. I just want to clarify, you are happy with the gear quality?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Do you have a link? I couldn't find anything.
Thanks.
Sure just give me a little while to figure out how to send the link ,I've never done that before.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
i6 Automotive
www.i6automotive.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
They also sell them on eBay under the same name .
Appreciate 1
Patrón544.50
      09-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Tried them and had no luck. Currently running odometergears without issue.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=512
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post

For what reason didn't those gears work out for you, issue with the gear spacing or fitment quality. Did you ever find out why they weren't working ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:

Do you have a link to those gears ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I was thinking easier install, and I'm doing the same with a preventative . I just hit 35,000 miles, and I'm looking take care of it before I burn out the electronics. I just want to clarify, you are happy with the gear quality?
I'm happy with the quality. I have read (other places than the i6 website :-) ) that a brass gear with a plastic gear is the better combination for gear long life when compared to two gears made from the same material as the odometer gears are. I can't say anything negative as they are working fine in my car. It really is nice that the gear is mounted already because I damaged the shaft un-mounting the original factory gear and installing the odometer gear which lead to my car sitting without running for awhile as a figured out what to do. However, many more people have used the odometers gears here because they are better known around here so there is some history there you would be leveraging.

Eventually one set of gears will fail in my car and we'll know which is better but you are asking too early haha
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
For what reason didn't those gears work out for you, issue with the gear spacing or fitment quality. Did you ever find out why they weren't working ?
I believe they had an excessive amount of lash. Freshly installed they felt similar to the worn gears I had in before when actuating by hand and testing for play. The odometergears were a much snugger fit. Other than that there were some build quality things; the screw holding the half gear in place fell out and I had to superglue it in place, there were strange discolorations and adhesives on the metal portion of the gears, and the screws holding the black plastic(delrin, nylon?) round gear to the brass portion were not fully screwed in and the threads were a little lopsided.

Here's a link to the odometergears I ended up using after without issue:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...KLUaAj3S8P8HAQ

The difference in their tooth profile is pretty noticeable even in pics:

I'll include the fact that I ordered a VERY early set. I might have got a pre-pro model or something and its possible they've improved their design tolerances

Last edited by Shredicus; 09-13-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm happy with the quality. I have read (other places than the i6 website :-) ) that a brass gear with a plastic gear is the better combination for gear long life when compared to two gears made from the same material as the odometer gears are. I can't say anything negative as they are working fine in my car. It really is nice that the gear is mounted already because I damaged the shaft un-mounting the original factory gear and installing the odometer gear which lead to my car sitting without running for awhile as a figured out what to do. However, many more people have used the odometers gears here because they are better known around here so there is some history there you would be leveraging.

Eventually one set of gears will fail in my car and we'll know which is better but you are asking too early haha

I guess if the quality is good you really can't go wrong, it's only gears. I would guess if everything fits tight there should be no issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #17
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe they had an excessive amount of lash. Freshly installed they felt similar to the worn gears I had in before when actuating by hand and testing for play. The odometergears were a much snugger fit. Other than that there were some build quality things; the screw holding the half gear in place fell out and I had to superglue it in place, there were strange discolorations and adhesives on the metal portion of the gears, and the screws holding the black plastic(delrin, nylon?) round gear to the brass portion were not fully screwed in and the threads were a little lopsided.

Here's a link to the odometergears I ended up using after without issue:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...KLUaAj3S8P8HAQ

The difference in their tooth profile is pretty noticeable even in pics:

that's what I wanted to know, if not space to right size would it cause the same issue as the worn out stock ones .

Last edited by Nick//M3; 09-13-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yea as I said before the odometer gears did "feel" a little smoother once installed. I talked to Jeff from Odometer gears on the phone and his customer service is second to none I say. He picked up the phone every time I called and replied to texts very quickly, even on a Sunday evening. He also will replace the half moon gear if you happen to break it when installing on the shaft, like I did. Although, to get that service I think you must order them from his odometer gears site directly. That carpartdiscounts seller is actually breaching Jeff's agreement with them and selling below pricewise what they agreed.

Also one time he told me, they made a closer fit than factory for the gear tooth spacing on the odometer gears. I think he said because the top layer is a sacrificial lubrication layer. He said the lubrication is built into the gears (maybe Teflon?) so no lubing after assembly is required.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

ohh and one more thing, a website called GEARSMADE.com will make you a set of gears that are both actually metal but of dissimilar metals. I heard about it on the M5 boards. There was a guy there whose car already had thrown codes but I think just once. So he had the metal gears made and installed them himself and then posted on the forum 2 years later that he still hadn't had a code pop back up...not too shabby at all... I waded through a lot of posts looking for that follow up post haha

However, I had got a quote from them. I think he wanted $800 for 2 set of gears, enough to do both actuators. His customer service was a little hit or miss and I actually told him I wanted to do it and how do I proceed? and I never heard back from him. I could have probably hounded him a little and got it done but I didn't wanna fight that battle too.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #20
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
yea as I said before the odometer gears did "feel" a little smoother once installed. I talked to Jeff from Odometer gears on the phone and his customer service is second to none I say. He picked up the phone every time I called and replied to texts very quickly, even on a Sunday evening. He also will replace the half moon gear if you happen to break it when installing on the shaft, like I did. Although, to get that service I think you must order them from his odometer gears site directly. That carpartdiscounts seller is actually breaching Jeff's agreement with them and selling below pricewise what they agreed.

Also one time he told me, they made a closer fit than factory for the gear tooth spacing on the odometer gears. I think he said because the top layer is a sacrificial lubrication layer. He said the lubrication is built into the gears (maybe Teflon?) so no lubing after assembly is required.

Thank for feed back. I'm happy to talk to people who have some understanding of what's going on with our car's. I'm going to look into odometer gears , but I'm also going to keep investigating the brass gears want to see if or how much better they claim to be then plastic. Odometer gears do seam like the way to go,
THERE MY #ONE RIGTH NOW.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #21
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

I also replaced the gears with the Odometer Gears set. I think one needs to do this as a PM and not wait for a code to be thrown. Seems that once a code is thrown the electronics can start to burn up.

Mounting the half moon gear was fairly straightforward, but I have a drill press with a nice V block to hold shafts. Pressing the ring around the shaft is another tricky step, make sure the spacer washers you use fit over the main part of the shaft not just the threaded section.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

To all, I believe if you get the codes already then it is too late to replace the gears.

I got the code 1 time then stopped driving the car until I replaced the gears. One week later, I got the same codes which made me believe my theory.
Appreciate 0