BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
boarderman23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3

Can I Track My Leased M3?

I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find much info...

What does BMW say about tracking a leased car? I just assumed it was ok since they seem to encourage that type of driving.

PS - I went to my very first track day yesterday and can say I'm 100% hooked...so much fun! I'm hoping I can use my m3 there several times a year, but may have to look into another option if not.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

you can, but you'd be considered an ass in my book.

If you can afford to track, buy the dam car. Don't beat the piss out of it, then give it back to BMW..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find much info...

What does BMW say about tracking a leased car? I just assumed it was ok since they seem to encourage that type of driving.

PS - I went to my very first track day yesterday and can say I'm 100% hooked...so much fun! I'm hoping I can use my m3 there several times a year, but may have to look into another option if not.
As long as you pass the turn in inspection who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post

If you can afford to track, buy the dam car. Don't beat the piss out of it, then give it back to BMW..
People don't lease because they can't afford to buy the car. Most lease because they are addicted to cars and want a new one every couple of years. I've been leasing for years and when I turn my cars in they look brand new. The dealer always keeps them and they sell within a couple of weeks. So I say tracking is fine as long as he takes care of his car....................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 1
SpeedN866.00
      05-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

^+1
      05-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Basic rul of thumb whether you leased it or bought it:

"If you can't afford to wreck it, you can't afford to track it."

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
_Jono_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT, 2012 GTR, Speed3

Yes beat the hell out of it. Thiers no rules to a lease. Its not like the bumper rips when you track it. I say beat it up. Ive seen people TELL bmw when their leasing their m3 that their using it for the track an they dont care.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
IFX
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post

People don't lease because they can't afford to buy the car. Most lease because they are addicted to cars and want a new one every couple of years. I've been leasing for years and when I turn my cars in they look brand new. The dealer always keeps them and they sell within a couple of weeks. So I say tracking is fine as long as he takes care of his car....................Phil

K, thats fine. Either way, i still don't think he should track it and then give it back like nothing is wrong. The next unsuspecting person will buy it and who knows what he/she might go through. It's not right, nor is it fair. I dont care how the car was maintained, it was still TRACKED.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
IFX
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jono_ View Post
Yes beat the hell out of it. Thiers no rules to a lease. Its not like the bumper rips when you track it. I say beat it up. Ive seen people TELL bmw when their leasing their m3 that their using it for the track an they dont care.

why would BMW care? Once they can pass it off to some average joe and make a quick buck they can give two fucks about the consumer. It's the person buying it that's getting the wrong end of the stick.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Quote:
K, thats fine. Either way, i still don't think he should track it and then give it back like nothing is wrong. The next unsuspecting person will buy it and who knows what he/she might go through. It's not right, nor is it fair. I dont care how the car was maintained, it was still TRACKED.
But what's the difference between turning in a lease that was tracked and trading in a purchased M3 that was tracked?
Appreciate 1
SpeedN866.00
      05-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

I don't think you would be an ass.

As long as you maintain the vehicle, I dont see any problem with tracking the car. Brakes and tires are the big wear items from tracking and these will be replaced as needed.

I would much rather buy a occassionally tracked and well maintained M3 from an enthusiast then a poorly maintained M3 that some punk redlined pulling from every stop sign.

The residuals on the leases are far lower then what the dealership will actually sell the car for, so don't cry for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Is there anything in the computer that will tell them that you tracked the car or drove it too hard (say you ride on the rev-limited a little bit)? Or is it just about outside appearance for the most part?

I'm not looking for an excuse to beat on the car, that's certainly not what I'm looking to do here. Just trying to get some questions answered...and I know that car is made to be driven hard, just not abused.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:

Taking a car to track schools or open lapping days is no worse for the car than the things the majority of dolts on this board do. I'd argue that the majority of people who track their cars take much better care of them than the average driver.

If I went to buy an M3 off of lease and I knew someone like me leased it, tracked it, modified it, and maintained it, I'd buy it in a second.

If some garage queen had polished it and put a couple of CF trim pieces on it, but never did any more maintenance than BMW recommends, I'd stay away.

Some lucky person out there got my 2009 M3 with 50k miles on it, Dinan tune and monoballs, double maintenance and a handful of trackdays.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

In my book it basically comes down to everyone taking a risk when they are buying a USED high performance car. Of course there are many who take obsessive car of their car but on the other hand there are many more that track it, thrash it and basically beat the living shit out of it. Hell that is what the car was designed for!! Yeah you can get lucky but the odds are against you.
To me its to much of risk and liability for such an expensive purchase, kinda like playing russian roulette.
Its not like grandma next door was the previous owner and used it only to go play bingo and get her groceries.
Joe
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
But what's the difference between turning in a lease that was tracked and trading in a purchased M3 that was tracked?
You nailed it Sir..
What is the difference between leasing it for 3 years and tracking it and paying 70K cash on the table to buy it, track it then in 3 years go back to the dealer to trade it in the new model???
I guess the real discussion here is NOT tracking a leased Vs owned car it's the risk, maintinance requirements and obligations if you are gonna track your car. Also how much disclosure is needed upon returning a leased car or trading in an owned car.
Appreciate 1
SpeedN866.00
      05-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the response!

I guess I'm just really new to leasing and wanted to know if there is any reason I couldn't track the car assuming I turn it in in good condition.

I mean, could they tell if you were hitting the rev-limiter (or if that would even matter to them) or anything else for that matter? I know if I returned the the car with worn brakes or tires they would just charge me for them, but could they say "you clearly tracked your car" and tack on a 15k penalty?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Is there anything in the computer that will tell them that you tracked the car or drove it too hard (say you ride on the rev-limited a little bit)? Or is it just about outside appearance for the most part?

I'm not looking for an excuse to beat on the car, that's certainly not what I'm looking to do here. Just trying to get some questions answered...and I know that car is made to be driven hard, just not abused.
Your car won't be plugged up to a computer to see how you've been driving it. Hell if it looks well maintained the dealer will probably try to buy it as oppose to taking it as a lease end car. Go to BMW's website and pull up the lease end inspection documents and you'll see that you are concerned about nothing. Drive the car and enjoy it. If anyone remembers the promo clip BMW released when the car came out, you would have to track your car at least once......Phil

Have a look and a few laps after you click on the unleash button........ http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ore.aspx#intro
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

[QUOTE=SehrSchnell;9713132]Folks hit the rev-limiter every day.. if you don't do it on a regular basis you'll waste your money."

Everyday?!!

You made me chuckle at that one. I have redlined and hit the limiter twice since I purchased new. I wish I had the time/convenience of a track close. But I plan to!
      05-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
DTM-POWER
Debonair
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, 650hp Evo X

Funny. Ive raced with people that leased a new gt3, gutted it and turned it into a track car for 3 seasons then put it back to stock and turned it in.
      05-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
IFX
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Taking a car to track schools or open lapping days is no worse for the car than the things the majority of dolts on this board do. I'd argue that the majority of people who track their cars take much better care of them than the average driver.

If I went to buy an M3 off of lease and I knew someone like me leased it, tracked it, modified it, and maintained it, I'd buy it in a second.

If some garage queen had polished it and put a couple of CF trim pieces on it, but never did any more maintenance than BMW recommends, I'd stay away.

Some lucky person out there got my 2009 M3 with 50k miles on it, Dinan tune and monoballs, double maintenance and a handful of trackdays.

that's the thing, there are very few people like yourself...
there's tons of people who probably leased, beat the piss out of it, buy new tires and brakes, and turn it back in. that's the worrysome part. not everyone is meticulous about their car, especially if they know it's going back in 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

You break it, you buy it

I'm also of the camp of people who'd rather have a tracked car from an enthusiast who cared well for it than some tard who neglects taking care of the car. Trackers probably wait for oil to be warm, etc. Average Joe is bouncing off the yellowline on cold oil.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
yamamoto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB/SO

Quote:
that's the thing, there are very few people like yourself...
there's tons of people who probably leased, beat the piss out of it, buy new tires and brakes, and turn it back in. that's the worrysome part. not everyone is meticulous about their car, especially if they know it's going back in 1-2 years.
I lease my cars, track them, drive them hard, and hand it back in 3 years. The next owner of the car pays about 50% of msrp after 3 years to compensate them for the risk of buying a used car from guys like me.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
status38
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Track day capabilities are part of how BMW sells this car. Yes M stands for marketing but it still stands for Motorsport too. I wonder how many repeat M customers BMW has had since they've taken the car out on the track and experienced the full capabilities of the car.

It's also the risk you take buying any used performance car like this. And as someone previously mentioned, there are people that beat the car up just as bad, or worse, on the streets than on a track.
Appreciate 0