BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I know nothing about tunes and whether they detectable by dealer or not. I'd do some searching on how "discoverable" those are over in the engine and exhaust thread. LC isn't that likely to void (unless they claim abuse, and that's if the ECU logs the # of launches--I have no idea). I do know if a tune is detected and you're in for a warranty claim or a part they can claim was damaged by the tune they would void portions of your warranty and flag your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #24
brandonwuwux3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3cs

Oh its a stock tune now sit was detuned before selling I bought this car from a dealer auction it was a lease return from new century
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
It's a very weird world where answering the OP's question is called "drama" but comments intended to mock and ridicule another poster are not. Very odd that something so non-constructive as your first comments aren't drama. LOL.
You didn't answer his question and I neither mocked nor ridiculed you. I also fail to see where anyone else did either. So again, sounds like "drama" to me. My first comment is what I honestly believe - Sticky is an outlier...on basically every topic. He seems like an extreme personality and I'm sure that applies to the way he drives his car as well.

Quote:
The OP didn't ask what will happen, he didn't ask what DID happen, the OP asked what CAN happen. It's a simple question really. As he said, he wants to know the downside to launches; he wants to know what CAN fail. I'm not sure why so many people find that they want to argue over what that means, but it always seems like it's the same people.
No, he didn't ask that. Here is what he asked - "what gets damaged when launching your car..i have a DCT i just wanna know the downside thanks!"

...and the answer is - nothing. Do things wear a little bit more? Sure.

You can just dismiss me as one of the "same people" if you want...I don't even know what you're talking about. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first disagreement you and I have had on this forum.

Quote:
So for a third time to the OP, but also masqueraded in its own condescending and drama-inducing way, Singletrack agrees that with enough launches and abuse something in your DCT CAN fail.
You are really insecure man if you think everyone is out to get you and insult you. I honestly thought your first comment was made to poke fun at Sticky rather than be a serious answer. I mean what kind of data point is ONE car driven by a guy like Sticky? Also, Kioken, who seems like a nice enough guy based on his posts here, seems to suggest that all that happened to Sticky is that he wore his disks out - no major failure.

Again, my ONLY motivation is to ensure that M3 drivers aren't terrified of launching their cars because they read on the internets that it will blows up their tranny! I want people to have as much fun with this car as I have. The GTR issue is a total debacle for Nissan, but I don't see how it is at-all relevant without data to backup failures on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #26
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
So just to be clearly answering the OP's question. The answer was YES: things get damaged by too many hard launches on the car.

so instead of throwing out peoples names who are doing things, why dont you just say YES to op??? why is it you like to mention Stickys name anyway on certain posts?
      09-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #27
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwuwux3 View Post
Thanks for the help guys! So according to previous owner the car has been launched 20-30 times over 2 years I didn't know Because I bought this car at a dealer auction woullf you uys consider this a horrible number?
No I would not.

Some things you should be aware of if you want to launch your car:

-Have the correct tire pressure. A little more will allow a little less traction, which is less stress on the drivetrain. Less chance of wheel hop.

-Don't launch on shitty roads with crappy, uneven surfaces. Again, less wheel hop...

-Make sure the tranny is fully warmed up.

-Have fun! : )
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #28
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

just so much excitement watching these internet arguments unfold

Everyone just needs to prove themselves as "right" hahahah....
      09-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #29
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

stop the presses! beating on your car over time will cause failure! imagine that
      09-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwuwux3 View Post
according to previous owner the car has been launched 20-30 times over 2 years I didn't know Because I bought this car at a dealer auction
You're a brave man to buy a DCT M3 at an auction . Before anything else, anybody with common sense knows the answer to your original question is 'yes', with the more times launched, the higher the chances of it happening. Especially the way these cars seem to hop at launch.

Now, if previous owner said he launched the car 20 to 30 times, I'd bet on at least twice that. And as noted, amount of abuse on the car depends on HOW he did it, as previously mentioned on a post above. Wheel hop is your worst enemy, with clutch plates a close second. Hop can ruin a lot of things, usually failing catastrophically (axles, subframe welds, diff mounting bracket, etc). I'd inspect the car carefully for any evidence of the above. And most importantly, take it easy from now on. You can drive it aggressively if you want, but I wouldn't launch it from a dig at all anymore. I haven't launched my car from a dig even once. Few people with nice cars do that. You can always do 5 to whatever, and any kind of roll-on. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #31
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You're a brave man to buy a DCT M3 at an auction . Before anything else, anybody with common sense knows the answer to your original question is 'yes', with the more times launched, the higher the chances of it happening. Especially the way these cars seem to hop at launch.

Now, if previous owner said he launched the car 20 to 30 times, I'd bet on at least twice that. And as noted, amount of abuse on the car depends on HOW he did it, as previously mentioned on a post above. Wheel hop is your worst enemy, with clutch plates a close second. Hop can ruin a lot of things, usually failing catastrophically (axles, subframe welds, diff mounting bracket, etc). I'd inspect the car carefully for any evidence of the above. And most importantly, take it easy from now on. You can drive it aggressively if you want, but I wouldn't launch it from a dig at all anymore. I haven't launched my car from a dig even once. Few people with nice cars do that. You can always do 5 to whatever, and any kind of roll-on. Good luck.
+1. Rule of threes. Its like when you ask how many alcoholic beverages someone has in a day or how many sexual partners a woman has had, you have to multiply by three. (BTW ladies, you have to divide by three for the guys partners).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #32
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Good point, there's a launch and then there's a Launch. I drive a 6MT which has around 100 autocross launches. For AX you only need 1200 to 1500 rpm and then drop the clutch to break the rear wheels loose, but not too loose, to get away fast. Yes, that mainly creates tire wear.

OTOH, I understand that the DCT auto launch revs the engine to several thousand rpm, then pops the clutch and controls wheel spin with either clutch slippage or throttle control. That sounds more abusive to me, particularly if the clutch ends up slipping. Somethings got to adjust a lot when your realize that it only takes around 1200 rpm to break the tires loose. (I've got a 4.1 FD ratio, so your mileage may vary).
      09-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #33
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

Launch sounds wicked.
Appreciate 0