BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #23
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
And so it was. So the lesson I get from your narrative: have a pricing conversation before the meeting. That, or pack 'heat' <jk>
LOL.

I forgot there was actually a lesson to be learned from my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
Oh come on... Are you serious?

Based on this logic then, every stupid action should get an equally stupid (or more stupidererer) reaction? At what point then do the replies just become two kids throwing sand at each other?
Sometimes it's fun, even if it does make us look like jerks! But in all seriousness, I would advise the OP to just ignore lowball offers or just say, "thanks but no thanks"

It's even worst when dealing with folks on Craigslist. I posted an AD in the FREE section to give away a desk. The guy wanted me to drop it off to him 30 miles away. LOL. Lesson to this story? I don't know... pack heat.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
Oh come on... Are you serious?

Based on this logic then, every stupid action should get an equally stupid (or more stupidererer) reaction? At what point then do the replies just become two kids throwing sand at each other?

A polite declination and a 'move along' would have sufficed, been more well-received, and wouldn't have made the OP look like a jerk.

I say fuck em on the inside but my actual response would have been much different. I would give them my best price take it or leave it. The buyer was a little premature in asking for the VIN after coming in with a lowball like that. IMO that comes after he sees the car, and we agree on price. THEN he gets the vin # to do with what he wishes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #25
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

His counteroffer was as close (or likely closer) to reasonable than the asking price. Who is the asshole then? Well, neither until the asshattery begins, which it appears to have done on the sellers side.
      10-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #26
emthree4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
I say fuck em on the inside but my actual response would have been much different. I would give them my best price take it or leave it. The buyer was a little premature in asking for the VIN after coming in with a lowball like that. IMO that comes after he sees the car, and we agree on price. THEN he gets the vin # to do with what he wishes.
Im glad someone sees my point of view.. totally premature

in fact my lightheartness response was return with a direct insult
he fire the first direct shot with the word Jerk!

I sense too that this forum is also visited by private dealers or salesmen in the field.. to rattle the cage a bit to seize opportunities on vulnerable sellers

buying and selling cars is a mind game at times
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #27
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
If someone offered me $45k I would ask them "Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?"
Love that line!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #28
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
His counteroffer was as close (or likely closer) to reasonable than the asking price. Who is the asshole then? Well, neither until the asshattery begins, which it appears to have done on the sellers side.
Do you mean his initial offer?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

OP, there are a LOT of low baller's here too.

Some of the offer's I got for my exhaust were a joke. I figure I would list low but there are alway useless lowballer's out there.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #30
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
If someone offered me $45k I would ask them "Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?"
"What?!!?"

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #31
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #32
Surfclown
Is this thing on?
Italy
Rep
Drives: the point home!

Quote:

"Do I look like a blond with big tits and and an ass that tastes like french vanilla ice cream?"

Tarantino probably came up with this when trying to sell a slightly used M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
emthree4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 e92

ROFL

or maybe I have this thing in my head that says "F*ck Me"
lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #34
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Neither party showed class, nor patience. Although I will say that replying to a decently genuine offer like this...

Quote:
48k sound good, but let me drive it another 1.5 yr and add another 20k miles and you can certainly have it
... is quite unprofessional, and clearly shows either your unwillingness to even sell the car in the first place, or that you don't have much experience dealing with people. Everyone wants to feel like they've gotten a deal.

As mentioned earlier, low ball offers are common. And you shouldn't get worked up about them, that is just immature. Also, when negotiating a price people will always start on the far side of reasonable and then you both work towards a suitable final number. You can't just hear his starting price and assume he won't budge. And your quote above is anything but reasonable. Imagine if someone said that shit to you if you were looking for a car. Better yet, what if the dealership said that to you when you negotiated to buy it below MSRP. "Sure, We'll let you buy it for invoice after we've used it as a demo for the next year." I bet you'd be walking out the doors no more than 5 minutes after that bomb was dropped. I know I would be.
      10-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #35
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
im sorry dude, but i think you're a dick here. he offered something but you started the d-baggery. he is reasonable, and he's most certainly right about what he's saying. good luck selling a used M3 for over 49k. the first year you use the car, in fact, the moment you take it out of the dealership it takes the biggest hit on its value. it doesnt mean (like the 2nd or 3rd post says) that in 2 years it'll be worthless. check KBB, although in these times it's super fucking hard to sell a car at KBB.

also dont forget that people usually "pad" their asking price. so typically if you want to sell for 50k you would list it for 53k, and on the other hand the guy wants to pay say 48k so he offers 45k... so u guys, with civil negotiation, will reach a figure in the middle.

it'll eventually stabilize and depreciate less later.

you sir certainly lived up to the bad reputation of snobby rude M3 drivers
You're wrong. Ridiculous offers deserve ridiculous responses.
      10-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #36
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

The biggest problem here is that we get these turkey offers from D-bags in the general public. Makes selling a nice car such a pain in the ass that it's almost worth the agony of taking it to a dealer and just taking trade-in price....grrr.(almost but not quite) Shouldn't be that way.

Always try to advertise your car in quality places like here and other performance car forums. Forget the Craigslists and newspapers. That's where the flies hang out. I'm not saying this will be the fix but it might help a little.

And good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #37
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
im sorry dude, but i think you're a dick here.

you sir certainly lived up to the bad reputation of snobby rude M3 drivers
I'm just a neutral observer and I disagree.

Obviously the best thing you could have done would be to ignore the lowball offer and not reply, but this guy seemed boisterous from the word "go" by lowballing by thousands and demanding your vin.

Your first reply wasn't totally off the planet. Maybe a little quippy but We are all sick of these flies trying to lowball. The exchange later became heated but your initial response wasn't off base.

If I were approaching you about your ride I would have said:

"Hey I am interested in your car. I probably can't spend what you are asking but maybe we can reach an agreement on price somewhere close. Can I start by getting some more info on the car and possibly do a background check on the VIN? I am local."

IMHO
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #38
op487062
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi s5

it's a shame the m3 is given a bad rep because of a few idiots. it's such a great car and much more deserving, but some of the fanboys really give you guys a terrible image.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #39
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Um just a question what is cosidered low ball? I think sub 40k would have been warranted that answer. At least you could have negotiated... Instead of blowing up IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #40
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericld View Post
I'm just a neutral observer and I disagree.

Obviously the best thing you could have done would be to ignore the lowball offer and not reply, but this guy seemed boisterous from the word "go" by lowballing by thousands and demanding your vin.

Your first reply wasn't totally off the planet. Maybe a little quippy but We are all sick of these flies trying to lowball. The exchange later became heated but your initial response wasn't off base.

If I were approaching you about your ride I would have said:

"Hey I am interested in your car. I probably can't spend what you are asking but maybe we can reach an agreement on price somewhere close. Can I start by getting some more info on the car and possibly do a background check on the VIN? I am local."

IMHO
That's the way!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #41
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Your reactions to the buyer are more childish than the offers.
      10-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #42
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

what a tard of a buyer
      10-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #43
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Why are you scared to release the VIN? that should actually be written in the listing when trying to sell the car, so I don't see that as an unreasonable request. REguardless of the offer.

Again, how about just saying no thanks thats to low to the guy. I mean your complaining but your just as bad. I still don't get it.
      10-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #44
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
unreasonable offer
unreasonable response
sounds like you both got what you deserved
Appreciate 0