BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM

07-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #23
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

It's more like, the system has failed these people and once people fall to that level (homelessness, hard drug abuse) it's very hard to get them back. So your option is either exile them, kill them, imprison them, or just let them fall through the cracks since in practice there is nowhere good to exile them to, most people would find killing them all ethically abhorrent and imprisoning them, while it would probably be the wet dream of prison corporations, isn't politically workable.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #24
roastbeef
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you have to ask yourself; why are the most liberal cities often the biggest cesspools?

07-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #25
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m305 View Post
This is not a true statement.
Yes, yes it is.
      07-21-2018, 04:16 AM   #26
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you have to ask yourself; why are the most liberal cities often the biggest cesspools?
A couple of things that I will over-simplify to keep this somewhat digestible:

1) The social programs attract those who need them the most: homeless, drug addicts, mentally ill. Cities who lean on more conservative policies don't have as many programs as liberal cities. The question is if the existence of social programs enable or helps these people? The real answer is probably both.

2) Ethnic and cultural diversity

(a) Ethnic diversity brings economic disparity. For a multitude of reasons, there is a statistical imbalance of crime, poverty, education, etc. amongst different cultures and races. Economic disparity increases the instances of homelessness, drug abuse, and mental illness.

(b) Liberals aren't the cause, but the byproduct: People who live in highly populated and diverse communities tend to be liberal because they have been more exposed to different cultures and races and therefore are more tolerant and mentally and emotionally equipped to coexist with them or at least attempt to operate towards that goal.

(c) Taking (a) and (b) into consideration, a dense and culturally, racially, and therefore economically diverse population will naturally have to establish programs to deal with it's inherit problems of homelessness, drug abuse, and mental illness. It's not that it's a "liberal city", it's that enabling policy to deal with these programs is a liberal action.

(d) The question remains: Why is there a statistical disproportion in crime, poverty, and education in different ethnic groups? That is beyond the scope of this post.

3) It's a high statistically probability based on population alone. The top two cities with the most homeless are also the most populated in the US. Statistically, they will have the most homeless, drug addicts, and mentally ill etc.

Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR F30 328i Sport Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250

Last edited by jmg; 07-21-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Govt policies have made living in the Bay Area extremely expensive so you only see the extremes in terms of economic status (eg, extreme poor and extreme wealth).

Progressives just don't understand the various laws of economics.

At least those damn sea lions have moved on. Talk about smell!

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #28
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Govt policies have made living in the Bay Area extremely expensive so you only see the extremes in terms of economic status (eg, extreme poor and extreme wealth).

No they still there
Especially along the beaches during the summer
Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz
I was just a pier 39 and they were always on that one dock and still are
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #29
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Demand, scarcity, and the willingness for people to actually pay these prices cause them to go up. What specific government policies in the Bay area cause prices to go up?

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
schoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

^. Yeah, I was born and raised in the Bay Area (all 18 years). Parents still live there. My dad worked at IBM for 30+ years. "Government policies" did not cause cost of living to skyrocket. Supply and demand, particularly in recent years, demand from overseas investors and speculators. Nothing to do with politics, although the large infusion of internationals have contributed to the liberalism.
Appreciate 3
jmg4376.50
Germanauto1764.00

07-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #31
irishbimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
No they still there
Especially along the beaches during the summer
Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz
I was just a pier 39 and they were always on that one dock and still are
So, are the sea-lions conservitards or libturds?
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #32
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

Demand, scarcity, and the willingness for people to actually pay these prices cause them to go up. What specific government policies in the Bay area cause prices to go up?
Scarcity driven by urban planners trying to preserve the ."character"

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #33
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
So, are the sea-lions conservitards or libturds?
All sea-lions do is bark, sleep and fornicate. So, both.

One in four people are mentally ill. Check three of your friends. If they're okay, you're it.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #34
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Much like the need to preserve confederate statues and the "identity" of the south? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Zoning laws aren't exclusive to "liberal cities". Preserving the "character" of a city goes across party lines. I live in a fairly conservative republican majority county. Zoning and housing laws are no less strict here than in Los Angeles County. In fact, I'd say conservatives tend to not want high-rise apartments and condominium complexes lowering their property values.

Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #35
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
All sea-lions do is bark, sleep and fornicate. So, both.
Hey that's offensive
I also drink and I know things
Appreciate 3
3.0L921.00

07-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #36
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Much like the need to preserve confederate statues and the "identity" of the south? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Zoning laws aren't exclusive to "liberal cities". Preserving the "character" of a city goes across party lines. I live in a fairly conservative republican majority county. Zoning and housing laws are no less strict here than in Los Angeles County. In fact, I'd say conservatives tend to not want high-rise apartments and condominium complexes lowering their property values.
I never mentioned that they were progressive policies but they largely are. It's just ironic when progressives complain about a lack of housing for "the poor" when they go all NIMBY over a plan to build affordable housing on their backyard.

Oh and I forgot to mention rent control.

https://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Rent_control

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #37
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I never mentioned that they were progressive policies but they largely are. It's just ironic when progressives complain about a lack of housing for "the poor" when they go all NIMBY over a plan to build affordable housing on their backyard.

Policies is how urban planners enforce their preservation isn't it? As I have just pointed out, not wanting affordable housing in your own back yard is characteristic of both liberals and conservatives. Rent control, on the other hand, is most often used to keep rent low, not increase property values.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #38
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Policies is how urban planners enforce their preservation isn't it? As I have just pointed out, not wanting affordable housing in your own back yard is characteristic of both liberals and conservatives. Rent control, on the other hand, is most often used to keep rent low, not increase property values.
Rent control causes scarcity with regards to the SUPPLY of housing.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #39
irishbimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP

Sounds like the rural Southeast is a veritable candidate for all the San Francisco liberals and seals to emigrate to improve the fine smell of that wonderful chicken, hog and cowshit.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #40
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those new houses are going to go for millions in the Bay Area regardless. You aren't going to lower prices by replacing 5 family apartment complexes with a few homes. Additionally, we're talking about more than just home prices, were talking about cost of living and homelessness. How cheap do you think the homes have to be for one of the homeless on the street to afford one? Should we slash the cost of a $2,000,000 home to $700,000? Do you really think these people are homeless because $2mil is out of reach as opposed to $700k?

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #41
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those new houses are going to go for millions in the Bay Area regardless. You aren't going to lower prices by replacing 5 family apartment complexes with a few homes. Additionally, we're talking about more than just home prices, were talking about cost of living and homelessness. How cheap do you think the homes have to be for one of the homeless on the street to afford one? Should we slash the cost of a $2,000,000 home to $700,000? Do you really think these people are homeless because $2mil is out of reach as opposed to $700k?
You just proved my point. Rent control is why expensive single family is being built.

Let me tell you a little secret about bay area single family homes. A significant portion of the structures themselves are in poor shape in terms of deferred maintenance. Over 60% of the value is in the dirt on which the house sits. I've seen it for almost 20 years.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #42
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
You just proved my point. Rent control is why expensive single family is being built.

Let me tell you a little secret about bay area single family homes. A significant portion of the structures themselves are in poor shape in terms of deferred maintenance. Over 60% of the value is in the dirt on which the house sits. I've seen it for almost 20 years.
...which makes me wonder why realtors pu$h location, location, location.

In S.F., does that translate to: Enjoy your view of the ocean, but ignore you neighbor's smelly heap?

One in four people are mentally ill. Check three of your friends. If they're okay, you're it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:13 AM   #43
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just explained to you how it doesn't, I'm not following how you can just say it does without an actual counter argument.

Additionally the valuation being more about the about the land than the building isn't a secret... it widely known, and not just in the Bay Area.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #44
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just explained to you how it doesn't, I'm not following how you can just say it does without an actual counter argument.

Additionally the valuation being more about the about the land than the building isn't a secret... it widely known, and not just in the Bay Area.
Did ypu even read the link I sent on rent control?

You haven't figured out the "what is unseen". In this case, why would a developer build a few multimillion dollar homes instead of a huge apartment building when there's a huge demand for housing? (Assuming of course that the local govt officials will let them since preserving 1920's bungalows is usually more important than fulfilling the demand for housing.)

Appreciate 0