BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #23
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
ACM + Testpipes
Loud when you want and not loud when you dont. Cost playing into it as well its one of the cheaper setups you can do.
I currently have the ACM mod. I've read a lot of posts over the years saying the ACM/TP combo is too raspy and unrefined, but this is such a subjective topic that it's hard to take these opinions as any more than a grain of salt. People also complain that the ACM mod with stock xpipe is crazy loud, which I think is a ridiculous overstatement and makes it even harder to take others' opinions on exhaust volume seriously.

It's nice hearing from someone who is around these cars daily and has heard virtually every exhaust combo out there. Maybe I'll try non-resonated TPs with my ACM mod since it doesn't sound like the resonators make any real difference...
      03-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #24
qbnlykwhoa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I have the 2 pipe mod done on mine and have been considering the Resonated Test pipes for the power increase mainly. I love how the car sounds now though and didn't want it to be too loud for me. I'm also wondering how the smell would be with just the secondary cats in place. I guess I could always just revert and sell the TP's if it was just too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa View Post
I have the 2 pipe mod done on mine and have been considering the Resonated Test pipes for the power increase mainly. I love how the car sounds now though and didn't want it to be too loud for me. I'm also wondering how the smell would be with just the secondary cats in place. I guess I could always just revert and sell the TP's if it was just too much.

The first set of cats is typically for cold-start emissions. Large primary cats take a while to heat up.
      03-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #26
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa View Post
I never notice any foul exhaust smell with test pipes, and my sense of smell is better then I wish.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #27
Inluvwithastr1pper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I currently have the ACM mod. I've read a lot of posts over the years saying the ACM/TP combo is too raspy and unrefined, but this is such a subjective topic that it's hard to take these opinions as any more than a grain of salt. People also complain that the ACM mod with stock xpipe is crazy loud, which I think is a ridiculous overstatement and makes it even harder to take others' opinions on exhaust volume seriously.

It's nice hearing from someone who is around these cars daily and has heard virtually every exhaust combo out there. Maybe I'll try non-resonated TPs with my ACM mod since it doesn't sound like the resonators make any real difference...
Post back on your results.

My 2 cents. I had a ACM Mod Exhaust with stock x pipe which I loved but wanted more volume + performance.

Went with a hfc x pipe (hfc for primary deleted second cats + resonators) with the ACM and it was stupid loud. Under 4k nice, raw, and aggressive but anything above that was headache educing. High, loud, and way too raspy. Had to switch my ACM for Megan.

Can't imagine test pipes + ACM would be any better but let us know if it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's a good post about resonated TPs+OEM mod:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=11

There really aren't many reviews or videos on the resonated test pipes and even fewer direct comparisons from people that have heard both resonated and non-resonated. I emailed Rogue asking how noticeable the difference is between the two and they said:
Quote:
Sound is identical. However, for those younger than 21, they prefer the non-resonated versions because they don’t mind the drone of a very loud exhaust.

For those older, they like the sound the test pipes allow…but don’t appreciate extra drone while on the highway.
Based on Jeff's first hand experience, I'm still leaning toward saving $200 by picking up some used test pipes and skipping the resonators.
      03-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #29
Silverstoneorspacegray
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
For another view, I've heard regular test pipes and the ACM mod and thought it was super loud. Great sound on idle but when revved at all I found it to be crazy loud. To me it sounded as loud as I expected a straight pipe set up to sound

But like Jeff said, three guys there drive it everyday. The problem is that everyone has a different view of what sounds good and what it too loud.

To give you an example, my MPE is think is perfect and sometimes I'm nervous it's a bit too loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #30
slowm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

My buddy has the acm mod + test pipes on his m3 and it sounds amazing. It is loud at WOT but during normal driving or cruising it's fine. It does not sound raspy at all, sounds really good imo and it's easy to daily it, no issues with it being too loud. Sounds almost stock on idle (when warm)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #31
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

when i had the acm mod + test pipes it was stupid loud at WOT. yes, normal driving and cruising it's absolutely fine for the most part. At WOT the sound was unrefined, raspy, and obnoxious.

now i have the acm mod + bimmerworld resonated x-pipe + HFC welded in the rear. it's toned down a bit, the sound is not as hollow and almost exotic sounding on acceleration. but at WOT or aggressive acceleration it's still a bit raspy. i'm going to replace it with an OEM muffler.

i'm an old man with a kid so my perspective will be different than the youngins lol.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #32
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
when i had the acm mod + test pipes it was stupid loud at WOT. yes, normal driving and cruising it's absolutely fine for the most part. At WOT the sound was unrefined, raspy, and obnoxious.

now i have the acm mod + bimmerworld resonated x-pipe + HFC welded in the rear. it's toned down a bit, the sound is not as hollow and almost exotic sounding on acceleration. but at WOT or aggressive acceleration it's still a bit raspy. i'm going to replace it with an OEM muffler.

i'm an old man with a kid so my perspective will be different than the youngins lol.
Why not try out a Megan rear? That seems to be the go-to solution when ACM mod is too raspy.
      03-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #33
azndrunk74
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why not try out a Megan rear? That seems to be the go-to solution when ACM mod is too raspy.
going to start taking the little one to school and back, so for now i'm going as quiet as possible.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #34
The.white.m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

So I ordered a resonated set, going to install it some time soon and i’ll post a review after!!!

https://www.instagram.com/the.white.m3/
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #35
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
going to start taking the little one to school and back, so for now i'm going as quiet as possible.
I’m actually surprised your resonated HFC xpipe made any difference in terms of volume. You have the same number of cats and resonators as a stock xpipe with test pipes.

I found this video comparing ACM and Megan. You can definitely hear the rasp with the ACM.

03-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #36
azndrunk74
Major
Rep

Quote:
I’m actually surprised your resonated HFC xpipe made any difference in terms of volume. You have the same number of cats and resonators as a stock xpipe with test pipes.

I found this video comparing ACM and Megan. You can definitely hear the rasp with the ACM.

The magnaflow resonators and HFC are pretty big on the x-pipe so that probably has something to do with reducing the sound level.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #37
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have the RE non resonated test pipes and OEM 4 pipe mod. Not too loud cold start, quiet on idle, and sounds great under acceleration.

There are better options that "sound" better but exhaust sound is subjective. I spent less than $500 on the setup and I get a lot of compliments on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #38
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The Megan rear + test pipes - More quite at WOT, however slightly louder at idle. Slight drone on highway speeds.

ACM Rear + Test pipes - Much louder at WOT, at warm idle nearly silent, minimal drone at highway speeds, sound is modulated with right foot
Quote:
ACM + Testpipes
Loud when you want and not loud when you dont. Cost playing into it as well its one of the cheaper setups you can do.
I ended up going with non-resonated testpipes paired with my ACM mod and I can say this description is spot on!

Cold start was INSANELY loud in my underground garage. It sounded epic, but really over the top and un-neighborly so I went ahead and had cold start deleted. Now it starts up quieter than it did with the stock xpipe + ACM mod + cold start enabled. Perfect!

You can really hear the rasp come in under throttle at 3,750 RPM and I personally love it! Just like Jeff said, it's VERY loud at WOT but also very easy to control the volume with your foot.

So far I have no plans of changing out the rear section to a Megan. Highly recommend this setup, not sure why it gets so much hate here.
      04-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #39
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
I ended up going with non-resonated testpipes paired with my ACM mod and I can say this description is spot on!

Cold start was INSANELY loud in my underground garage. It sounded epic, but really over the top and un-neighborly so I went ahead and had cold start deleted. Now it starts up quieter than it did with the stock xpipe + ACM mod + cold start enabled. Perfect!

You can really hear the rasp come in under throttle at 3,750 RPM and I personally love it! Just like Jeff said, it's VERY loud at WOT but also very easy to control the volume with your foot.

So far I have no plans of changing out the rear section to a Megan. Highly recommend this setup, not sure why it gets so much hate here.
Every now and then i get something right
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #40
furry
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Also have ACM mod + test pipes combo. I have cold start deleted as well and in normal everyday driving it gives a deep baritone. Its only once you start accelerating quickly and above 3500 rpm or so that things start getting crazy.

I was never a loud exhaust guy but now I find myself not caring too much since it sounds great in the car. Also downshifts are brutal and epic, I'm guilty of startling innocent bystanders with my downshifts...yep I'm becoming that guy because of the exhaust

I will try to drive behind my car to get a sense for how loud it is outside the car before judging whether to tame it down a bit.
Appreciate 1
Iyzmi802.00
      04-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #41
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry View Post
I was never a loud exhaust guy but now I find myself not caring too much since it sounds great in the car. Also downshifts are brutal and epic, I'm guilty of startling innocent bystanders with my downshifts...yep I'm becoming that guy because of the exhaust
I'm also guilty of becoming that guy. We are spreading V8 excellence in a world of 6 cylinder turbo mediocrity...somebody's gotta do it.
      05-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #42
The.white.m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Update:

So i’ve had the test pipes for about a month and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!!
Its the best thing i’ve done to the car!

Here’s how it compares to acm mod:

Cold start: a little bit louder
Cold start revs : a lot louder
Cruising: a little meaner/deepr growl sound below 3k rpm

3k -5k rpm is the mother of all sounds amazingness magic zone!
Its SIGNIFICANTLY louder than just the acm mod. The sound is just so much more pronounced and throaty and has almost no rasp. But its LOUD and i love it!
Above 5k and to the redline: its insanely loud and becomes more high pitched almost race car material!

Cruising on the highway in 6th/7th is almost the same as acm so you barely hear it. But it can drone if your rpms are really low.

Downshifts : orgasmic. No other way to put it. It even pops and burbles ocasioanlly

I’ve posted a bunch of vids on my instagram page @the.white.m3 !

Go check em out/give me a like and follow!

Cheers!

https://www.instagram.com/the.white.m3/
Appreciate 1
Iyzmi802.00
      05-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #43
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_man View Post
Update:

So i’ve had the test pipes for about a month and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!!!
Its the best thing i’ve done to the car!

Here’s how it compares to acm mod:

Cold start: a little bit louder
Cold start revs : a lot louder
Cruising: a little meaner/deepr growl sound below 3k rpm

3k -5k rpm is the mother of all sounds amazingness magic zone!
Its SIGNIFICANTLY louder than just the acm mod. The sound is just so much more pronounced and throaty and has almost no rasp. But its LOUD and i love it!
Above 5k and to the redline: its insanely loud and becomes more high pitched almost race car material!

Cruising on the highway in 6th/7th is almost the same as acm so you barely hear it. But it can drone if your rpms are really low.

Downshifts : orgasmic. No other way to put it. It even pops and burbles ocasioanlly

I’ve posted a bunch of vids on my instagram page @the.white.m3 !

Go check em out/give me a like and follow!

Cheers!
Great review! Cold start was A LOT louder IMO but that is in part due to the fact that my car lives in an underground garage and the sound echoes like crazy. The term "rasp" may have a different definition in everyone's minds just like "drone." The 3-5k magic zone you mention is what others call rasp (I think). I agree that people who complain about this setup are out of their minds. I can see how it would be too loud for some but to say it sounds bad or cheap is absurd to me.

I think as the older generation of owners who have posted complaints years ago move on, the new guys will replace those reviews with positive impressions like ours and bless the world with more V8 acoustic bliss .
      07-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #44
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Just to clarify. I have to OEM Mod. This is different than the ACM mod correct?
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00