BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #441
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

reviving this thread in 2016.

re-reading the presentation of the GTS, it is peppered with fluff terms like "exclusively tuned" , or "truly exclusive" , "truly discerning". Something is either exclusive or it's not , it's either discerning or it's not, why the 'truly' ? this is sleeze ball language, as if saying : we are usually liars but here we make an extra effort. This is the worst language i have ever seen to present a car.

That's not the reason i am reviving this thread. Regarding the 4.4 L stroker engine in the GTS, the presentation says it has the same crankcase as the non GTS M3. It makes no mention whatsoever of a different crankshaft either. Given how they try to boast all its equipment for all its worth they would certainly have mentioned a different cranckshaft if it had one or engine internals, no ? At the end is that engine just a simple cylinder stroke that has been extended from 75,2 to 82 mm. Of course they re-tuned that engine maps. but if this presentation is to be believed this is just a stock engine with a different bore. I am talking exclusively about the engine here, not all the other incremental improvements around the car (suspensions, roll cage, etc..).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #442
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Stroking requires diff crankshsft
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #443
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Stroking requires diff crankshsft
Ok, I realized the deeper cylinders in a stroked engine with stock crankshaft would reduce static compression (down to ~5.9) unless longer rods and a different crankshaft are used to increase pistons travel.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #444
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
re-reading the presentation of the GTS, it is peppered with fluff terms like "exclusively tuned" , or "truly exclusive" , "truly discerning". Something is either exclusive or it's not , it's either discerning or it's not, why the 'truly' ? this is sleeze ball language, as if saying : we are usually liars but here we make an extra effort. This is the worst language i have ever seen to present a car.
True and more than a little amusing. But remember this is marketing speak after all, and most likely a literal translation of the German language release material to pseudo-English. Always take with a spoonful of salt!
      08-24-2016, 06:17 AM   #445
jt10mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
True and more than a little amusing. But remember this is marketing speak after all, and most likely a literal translation of the German language release material to pseudo-English. Always take with a spoonful of salt!
Also when they talk about why the GTS isn't coming to the states the BMW guy does make mention of the fact many BMW owners like to personalize. I only wish that BMW would continue to push the envelope and set the pace for performance cars. It seems Porsche and Mercedes have no problem doing this.
2001 330xi SOLD
Appreciate 0