BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #23
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Both are equally valid and I have seen both used in a lot of places. As long at the units are listed beside the number there should be no confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Indeed I used lb/hp, the less the better. I should have stated that and given units. However, as enigma said both lb/hp (around 10 for sporty vehicles, nowadays 8...) as well as hp/ton are common. I changed the order and added units per other suggestions.

BTW, all of this should have been pretty obvious. It doesn´t make anyone an idiot but you should be familiar with numbers of about 10 lb/hp.
My point is that it was stated these were power to weight ratios, but instead weight to power ratios were given. I didn't say WtP was invalid. When a chart says top speeds, you expect to see, well, speed numbers - in mph or km/h, not how much time it takes a vehicle to cover 1 mile or km (hpm or h/km). Both are valid, but only one indicates the subject "top speed." That is all.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #24
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Nice Approximation

I think we all agree the power-to-weight ratio is a good approximation for performance but where the rubber meets the proverbial road is the torque to the axles....

And this is driven by gearing. I still hope they come out with a 7 speed but all data says 6 speed.

Gearing will determine almost everything for this car.
      04-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK looks like we have a winner 3483 lb curb weight (btw my guess back in 11/06 was 3500 even ). I sure hope the number is solid. IMO this is a fantastic achievement. The 335i weighs in at 3571 this is almost 100 lb lighter!! This is a huge achievement given the things that add weight to the vehicle relative to 335i: chassis stiffening, engine, clutch, rotors/calipers, tires, cooling system, exhaust system, etc.

I think the list of weight savings items other than composite roof and body panels will look pretty darn impressive once we learn about all of the effort that went into this.

Updating my lb/hp list we now have:
  • Corvette C5: 8.0
  • E60 M5: 8.1
  • E92 M3 8.3
  • F355: 8.3
  • New Carrera S (+20 hp rumored): 8.3
  • Carrera S: 8.8
  • RS4: 9.4
  • AM Vantage: 9.5
Boys with an extra .3-.4 seconds per shift with ZSG we are really going to have a on our hands.
The C6 Corvette is 7.9 since we're talking up to date lists.
If BMW's quote of 414HP stays the same, that will take the E92 M3 to 8.4, still a very impressive number.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #26
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
The C6 Corvette is 7.9 since we're talking up to date lists.
If BMW's quote of 414HP stays the same, that will take the E92 M3 to 8.4, still a very impressive number.
Thanks for the approval.
Appreciate 0